Monday, January 23, 2012

35 weeks

35 weeks
...amidst shoes that no longer fit my piggie feet

Marination Time: 35 weeks tomorrow.*  That means we're at the 35/35 landmark... 35 weeks down & 35 days until our EDD of Feb 28th!

*Posting this a teensy bit early in place of my "How I Became a Crazy Hippie Natural Birthing Wannabe" post, which still requires a bit of tweaking {and perhaps a smidge of bravery} before publishing manana. 

Maternity Clothes: Per strict spousal instruction, I took advantage of a GAP / Old Navy 30% off sale last week and ordered three new items {here, here, and here} to keep my fashion morale afloat during these last few weeks.  I'm loving all three purchases, but the maxi skirt in particular is rocking my socks off. I think it'll be a great post-partum transition piece as well.  GAP Body was also kind enough to send me some late term maternity staples {Tank,  Long-Sleeve T, and a super soft hoodie I can't find on the website} along with some awesome looking non-maternity workout pants... Is it weird that I'm really looking forward to getting back into shape after this little one comes?

**As most of y'all know, I am lucky enough to be a GAP Brand Enthusiast and do receive freebies from time to time. I am never asked to blog about these items and only choose to do so when I really love the product... which, quite honestly, is 95% of the time!  

Fruit of the Week / Size:  TB and BC are on the exact same page this week... Honeydew!

Movement: Lots of rolling movements that sweep all the way across my belly like she's scraping my insides... Super strange feeling!  I keep hoping I'm feeling a flip-over, but, alas, I can still feel her head lodged snugly up under my rib cage... it must be her arms, Doin' the Freddie.

Cravings: Grapefruit and icecream are still big contenders.  Roasted corn crema from Urban Taco.  And ice water.  So much ice water.

Annoyances: Super stiff hands and feet when I get up in the morning. Is it possible to have pregnancy-induced arthritis?  Swollen feet at the end of the day.  They were puffy enough to warrant a bit of concern on Friday, but my blood pressure remains in the low range of healthy, so I guess marshmallow feet are just all part of the fun at this point!

Belly Button Watch: Innnnnnn-nie! 

Highlights of the Week: During natural birthing class number three in our series of five this Thursday we took the grand tour of the L&D wing of the hospital.  In general, I like knowing exactly where to go and what to expect when faced with new experiences, so I felt a little lighter and a little more prepared after getting the lay of the land. It's worth mentioning that I really, really enjoy our birthing classes overall, and I nerdily look forward to them every week.  E will tell you this is because class usually involves some sort of massage exercise benefitting the mamas.  And I will tell you that E likes going because there are snacks.  And we're, ummm, both learning a lot too.  And stuff.

We also had another great relaxing weekend running errands, washing more itsy-bitsy socks and cloth diapers, cleaning, and rewatching Moneyball and Midnight in Paris.  Well, I say it was relaxing but I must have overdone it with the nesting on Saturday as it took me a while to be able to walk normally on Sunday morning - I felt almost as sore and stiff as I did after Day 2 of the 3 Day.  Which feels pretty pathetic, but what can you do.  On Saturday night, we hosted E's parents for supper and a nursery viewing.  We haven't had many guests Post-Flood 2011, and it was fun to entertain.

Speaking of the Nursery...  I am happy to report that the nursery is basically finished and ready for it's close-up once our curtains arrive!  I've probably mentioned this but our glider{ours is gray with white piping} is currently residing downstairs in the office so as to be available for easy late-night feedings when Quesita is super-wee and sleeping with us. While this makes complete practical sense, I am severely bugged I cannot take pictures of the glider-included nursery for several months.  I am still attempting to convince E to haul it up the stairs for a proper photo shoot and then haul it back down.  For some reason, he doesn't find "a cohesive design aesthetic" to be a compelling reason for all that manpower.  LAME.

Medical Updates: After our great appointment with our peri last Tuesday, I saw my regular OB on Wednesday.  I was excited for her to see LJH's growth progress and to also discuss different methods of flipping a breech baby.  I was  a little surprised she did not seem all that jazzed about the growth scan... until she measured my actual belly and remarked "woah, baby really did grow a ton!"  Apparently she's skeptical of scans showing large jumps in growth restricted babies until she also sees physical proof... which she received in the form of a 4 cm belly stretch over a period of 2 weeks!  More fabulous progress!

As to the flipping methods, she is not willing to perform version on the Cheesette due to the state of her umbilical cord.  Forcing the baby to move at this point could be dangerous to the blood vessels exposed by the VCI.  As you can imagine, we are a-okay with this decision - the last thing we want is a ruptured cord!  She also echoed a really compelling thought my dad voiced the night before... being that nature has a pretty miraculous way of correcting its own problems and that perhaps the breech position is just a better position for Bebe Girl at this point.  She's been head-down for our entire slew of scans up until 32 weeks and her growth steadily declined during that time.  Now, all of a sudden, she's breech and growing!  Perhaps she's somehow able to receive more nutrients in this position.  Or, it could also be that facing head-down with her legs kicking up towards the cord and placenta could aggravate those exposed vessels now that she's larger in size, so she's playing it safe by staying right-side-up.  Or it could be totally random and she'll flip on her own, naturally, today... tomorrow... 3 weeks from now. It's all a mystery!  But the "everything happens for a reason" stance is pretty cool to think about!

On that same note, if she's still breech next week, we'll schedule a c-section for around 39 weeks {with continued monitoring for growth, etc. and the understanding that if all goes well in that department and if she flips between 36 weeks and her eviction date, we'll revert back to the original plan}.  I think I'm doing a decent job of being Zen about this one {E might disagree}.  In all honestly, I'm really trying to let go of all expectations for this birth... It feels like every possible roadblock to a low-intervention delivery has cropped up somewhere along the way, only to drop out of the picture later on... or at least go back to waiting in the wings.  Which means I could end up laboring the way I've wanted to all along.  Or I could end up with a medically necessary induction or c-section. Who the hell knows.  All we want is to meet our healthy, happy baby!

But, I would like to say... I GET IT, UNIVERSE.  I AM NOT IN CONTROL.  LESSON LEARNED.  WE CAN STOP WITH THE "SURPRISES" NOW.

See?  TOTALLY ZEN. 

17 comments:

  1. very proud of your 'forced' zen attitude---babies can do that to even the best of us Type A planners. :) Love the thought that baby girl might need to be breech to get her growth on. And really, not matter how she comes out it's going to be amazing to have her on the outside for good. You are getting so close it's sick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the nursery! I hope she flips on her own soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I applaud your Zen-ness. I wish I had that attitude when the time had come, but I never seemed to get there.

    As far as the chair, if that sucker is anything like the one we got (and, I think it might be based on your tweets) it is heavy! I don't blame E for not wanting to haul it around. In fact, we had to take the door off the nursery to get it in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm *proud* of you and your attitude towards your delivery! Yay for zen and doing whatever you think is best! Go baby L!!! ugh i want to know here name now. kthnx. {secretly i think it's lucy}

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look super fashionable even at 35 weeks preggo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to have a c-section with my first (he was a 10 pounder) and after a few nights of complete meltdowns over this fact, I accepted my fate! But here's hoping baby girl turns herself in time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job growing baby girl! Also, you look awesome in your new outfit :) if I was preggo I would have my debit card in hand and be halfway to oldnavy.com right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look fantastic! My little girl was breech for a while at the end, too. So I scrubbed all our hardwoods on my hands and knees around 37 weeks and that baby FLIPPED. :) Good luck mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're going to love that maxi skirt after she's born - great choice! You have (or at least exude) a great attitude about the unknowns associated with your pregnancy and her birth. Good luck with the last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel you on this post! I am also 35 weeks this week, and carrying a baby girl who is breech. I would also much prefer not to have a c-section. I just keep telling myself "healthy baby, healthy baby, healthy baby". Maybe if I repeat it enough, the thought of being cut open and her being taken from me won't seem so bad? Well, it's worth a try!
    I love that maxi skirt and it shall be mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had wrist issues during pregnancy. I slept with wrist guards used for Carpal tunnel. You can get them cheap at target. They saved me the last few weeks of pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard that flipping babies is not a pretty process. That would be so weird to see it being moved around like that in there. But I guess when you think about it the whole thing is pretty weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do I become a Gap Brand Enthusiast? Please contact me at alliferguson (at) me.com with deets! Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I asked Nick to move our glider from the nursery to our bedroom and back to the nursery before Sam was born. No shame. Also, yes, parenthood is incredibly humbling. It forces you to let go of plans and routines and just be. I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yep, letting go of control. easier said than done, right? just remind yourself that none of it will matter once you're holding your baby girl on your chest for the first time! hope the last few weeks go great.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!