Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Baby Crap For Which We Registered*

Update: Newborn Favorites from our Registry

*grammar bonus point

Ahhhh yes.  Here is the post wherein I tell you all about the many, many pieces of primary-colored plastic that are currently overtaking our house.  Your job is to pretend to give two shits and/or overlook the fact that, presently, I have no actual baby and, therefore, little street-cred when it comes to baby gear reviews. 

Kidding.

Kind of.

For the reals though, this post is going live now for a few reasons:

Reason the First: I was clueless as to what we should add to our registry and found other mamas' posts on the matter to be extremely helpful... if only for the "how many of X should I scan?" factor and not for the "must scan this particular brand / color" factor.

Reason the Second: Registering for a bebe is not like registering for a wedding. Wedgwood doesn't malfunction and accidentally rip your arm off {let's hope}.  And when you select your whisks and cheese knives and bed linens, you know they are things you are going to enjoy, because... duh... you picked them out for yourselves. Now you are selecting items for a helpless, opinionated mini-person you haven't even had the pleasure of meeting.  And because I'm decently terrified of killing / maiming / boring to death my own helpless, opinionated mini-person, I did a whole lotta research on said items.  Point being... it's possible my particular child won't be a fan of everything on this list, but you can rest assured the things I've listed are (a) safe and (b) well-loved by a trusted someone's kiddo out there.**  

Reason the Third: This way, we can all come back in five months and laugh at how naive I was.  That's always a hoot. 

Before I dive right in, it's worth mentioning that we registered with the following things in mind... (a) We only had one shower, so we chose to focus mostly on the itsy-bitsy baby essentials, and, because of the generosity of our family and friends, Baby Girl is pretty much set for her first 6 months and beyond.  There will be other "necessities" {a convertible carseat, toys, and eating accouterments come to mind} as she grows, but we'll take care of those on an as-need basis. If you plan on having several showers or you have an uber-large family, it's probably worth adding some of those "older baby" items to your registry. (b) Folks love to give clothes, books, and blankets, so we left those suckers off our registry. (c) There seem to be lots of items that peeps shy away from when selecting a gift... I knew well and good that cloth diapers and breast feeding accessories were not going to be hot picks, but scanned 'em on in anyway since I can now use my registry completion coupons to buy them myself at a discount.

Enough chatter...

The Big 'Uns

Bumbleride Indie Stroller in Fog {All-Terrain / Jogging Stroller}
After considering several stroller options, we settled on this sexy beast for our jogging / all-terrain / everyday / BE MY EVERYTHING stroller.  Several reasons it beat out Bob & Co... (a) It's lighter than both the Bob and City Jogger. Yes, it has a lower weight capacity {45 vs. 70 lbs}, but I'm pretty our stroller needs will cease before Quesita reaches 70 lbs... what is that anyhow, like the 3rd grade? (b) Super, super easy to maneuver and fold-down with one hand... jogs just as smoothly as other popular joggers. (c) Car seat adapter comes included with the stroller at no additional cost. (d) Super duper cute. Big Thanks to Emily for answering my trillion emails regarding this purchase!

Baby Trend Single Snap N' Go Stroller 

This seems to be the Number 1 Snap-n-Go Pick for padres with our infant car seat. Raves include: dual cup holders and large storage basket.

Chicco Keyfit 30 Infant Car Seat
 {Ours is the "Fuego" color - oo la la}
I debated long and hard between the Peg Perego, Britax Chaperone, Graco Snugride, and this guy. All received top safety ratings, so this decision came down to price, weight, size, and good looks.  The Peg and the Britax are definitely "prettier" carseats {yep, this is what my life has become...}, but those mo'fos are heavy {and pricier}. After some consideration, I decided I'd rather have feeling in my arms than the Louis Vuitton of carseats.  Plus, the Britax is rather long and wasn't easy to move in and out of the backseat of my Camry unless the passenger seat was pushed all the way forward. That left the Graco and the Chicco, and, to be honest, I liked the color combos offered by Chicco better.

Strollers

Chicco Lullaby LX Playard
{Color: "Luxor" aka: Orange}
There seem to be lots of great Pack-n-Plays {remember when we could call them playpens?} out there... I feel like everyone loves theirs.  We selected this one because it included a removable changing station and a bassinet attachment - both of which will be essential since Baby Girl will sleep here for a good while. This model is also unoffensive to the eyeballs and smells like Texas Team Spirit {guess who got to pick the color?}.  It is worth noting that my mom purchased a great, basic Graco PnP to keep in Austin at Costco for a mere fifty bones... the perfect option if you're in the market for a good product sans bells & whistles.

Motorola Digital Video Baby Monitor w/ 3.5 Inch Color LCD Screen
So, this is the one purchase we didn't research all that much.  E thought it "looked really cool" and our good friends had it on their registry... so we played copycat. Still might exchange it for the very well reviewed Summer Infant Baby Touch Digital Color Video Monitor.

Kiddo Containment Devices

Fisher-Price My Little Snugabunny Cradle 'n Swing
I've been assured this swing is Baby Crack by more friends than I can count.

Same as above goes for this guy.  This is one item we haven't received / purchased and are holding off on until the Cheesette arrives... the hope being she'll be so enamored with the Huge Ass Swing that we won't require another soothing gadget.  One can dream, yes?

Every mother is required by law to purchase this just so internet strangers and annoying Facebook "friends" can warn against the perils of its misuse the first time she snaps and shares a photo of the baby enjoying her new-found upright status. 

Ergo Baby Performance Carrierwith Infant Insert
My child will likely hate this with a mad passion, just because I spent more time than reasonably necessary  reading baby carrier reviews and carefully selecting the Ergo for it's ergonomics {obvs}, versatility, and environmental responsibility {how snooty did that just sound?}. Whatevs.

Wrap-Style Carrier

I'm sure we'll also purchase a Moby Wrap or K'tan or something else that requires several YouTube videos and an entire bottle of wine to master, but we'll cross that spandexy bridge when we get there.

Balboa Baby Shopping Cart Cover
{"Geo Black"}
Another item that we haven't received or purchased, but in which we will likely invest once the kiddo is old enough to sit sans carseat in grocery carts and restaurant high chairs.

Feed Me, Seymour

Feeding

Dr. Brown's BPA Free Polypropylene Natural Flow Newborn Feeding Set

Born Free Twin Pack Wide Neck Bottles
Both of these are highly recommended generally and specifically for breastfeeders. I only registered for one of each {6 bottles total} so we could see what she prefers before stocking up.

Breast Pump

Still deciding. Shall report back. 

Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags){25 Count Boxes, Pack of 3... x3}
Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags {5 bags per box, 20 uses per bag... x2}
Self-explanatory, yes?

Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra
I essentially wanted this so I could recreate the not-awkward-in-the-least stock photo for my personal collection. And so I could blog and pump simultaneously. Wipe that mental picture from your mind immediately, please.

Boppy Bare Naked Pillow
My Brest Friend Pillow
Yep. Two breastfeeding pillows. All Hail the Queen of Excess. Actually, several friends suggested registering for both... Most prefer the Brest Friend {WORST NAME EVER} for actual breastfeeding, but find the Boppy useful for travel {more compact} and as yet another Place to Set Your Kid.  A few have also mentioned that it's nice to have two pillows - one for upstairs and one for down - if your nursery and main living areas are on different floors.

OXO Tot Bottle Brush w/ Nipple Cleaner & Stand
Necessary. Functional. Cute enough to be left out on my countertop. 

OXO Tot Sprout Chair{in Green / Walnut}
Why do most high chairs come swathed in fabric? Even to a novice, this seems idiotic.  The Sprout is 100% wipeable / hoseable / Windex-able. Bonus Points for its modern design.  Extra Bonus Points for being Christina Applegate's high chair of choice on Up All Night.

Baby Bjourn Soft Bib{x3}
Just like the high chair... no fabric to deal with here. 

Baby-Led Weaning
Oh yeah. Another hippie parenting choice to defend.  Bring it.

Beaba Multiportion Freezer Tray
{Various Colors, x3}
More items on which we're holding off until she's actually eating whole foods, but I hear these are stellar for freezing.

OsoCozy 6 Pack Prefolds Unbleached Cloth Diapers
All my Mamas-in-the-Know love using old school CDs as burp clothes. Absorbent... no embellishments to fret over when washing... sounds good to me!

Aden + Anais Muslin Burpy Bib{Various Designs, x3}
Burp clothes, then bibs... I love a multi-tasker. 

Rub-a-dub-dub
Bath

Prince Lionheart washPOD Bathe
Yes, I bought a fancy bucket in which to bathe my baby. Hush your face, it's supposed to be womb-like and its European.  I realize this will either be a gigantic success or a massively hysterical failure.

More self-explanatory items, yes?

Goodnight, Moon


Summer Infant Basic Comfort Ultimate Crib Sheet{x2}
I think these are genius. Not only are they a waterproof mattress cover, mattress pad, and crib sheet all in one product, but they only cover the very top of the mattress... allowing your decorative bedding to peak through the crib slats as depicted above. That way, you only need one "pretty sheet," and you're triply-protected from nighttime leakage. Fancypants, right?

Sleep

Summer Infant 2 Pack Swaddleme{x2 - one microfleece, one organic cotton; fits 7-14lbs}
The Miracle Blanket Swaddler{fits newborn to 14 weeks}
HALO SleepSack 100% Cotton Wearable Blanket{Medium fits 16-24lbs}
Oh the swaddlers... another category that overwhelmed me with options and opinions... which basically means another slew of products that the baby is either going to love or hate.  These three varities seemed to be the most popular picks, but I've only unwrapped and washed one set of the Swaddlemes.  We'll see how those pan out before committing to / testing the others. 

Aden + Anais 100% Cotton Muslin Swaddle Blankets{4 Pack, Various Designs, x2}
The It Baby Item of the Moment... everyone loves these.  I see mama friends use them for swaddling, stroller blankets, tummy time, impromptu burp clothes, nursing covers, etc.   

iHome iH15 LED Color-Changing Speaker System for iPod
E already has LJH set up with her own iPod and playlist.  Sister is going to be well-versed in the joys of Van, Pearl Jam, James Taylor, Texas Country, Mumford, and many more of our favorites. Not only will this coolbeans speaker cube be used for jamming out, but also for chilling out with soothing colors and several white noise tracks. {Clarification: the cube provides the fun colors but the white noise tracks are actually downloaded onto the iPod.}

Crane Adorable 2.1 Gallon Cool Mist Humidifier{ours is an elephant... duh}
Adorable is right. I've heard some complaints that these are finicky, but I think most cool mist humidifiers {which are recommended for babies as opposed to warm misters} require some fiddling.  We shall see.

Diaper Duty
So this is for real happening in my laundry room right now... (!!!)

bumGenius One-Size Cloth Diaper 4.0 w/ Snaps
{x14; various colors}
Charlie Banana® 2-in-1 Reusable Diapers{x3; various colors}
Fuzzibunz One Size Diaper{x3; various colors}
My Cloth Diapering Game Plan is likely the subject for another post, but here's the gist... We're going with the one-size pocket style and think the bumGeniuses will probably be our favorite brand {based on conversations with other CD moms and the mere fact that they are just way easier to stuff than the other two brands we're testing}, but we didn't want to invest in a full stash of BGs without trying out some other fan favorites.  We registered for 20 diapers total and currently have a stash of 15 {10 BGs, 3 FBs, and 2 CBs}.  I'd like to buy a few more before we start cloth diapering {when she reaches 8+ lbs} but won't build up a full collection until a front-runner emerges.  Basically, it's another one of those "try out a few brands and see what sticks" situations.

OsoCozy Flannel Unbleached Baby Wipes{15 count; x3}
Cloth WIPES???  DO YOU HAVE NO STANDARDS, WOMAN?  Yes, I thought the same thing.  But what do you do with a wipe when you're done with it?  Pop it in the diry dipe and dispose, right?  Can't do that with a disposable wipe and a cloth diaper... unless you want to be picking wipe-particles out of your lint trap.

BabySmart Cooshee Changer{ours is lime}
Same idea as the high chair... why do dirty business on top of fabric?  More props to Emily for this suggestion.

Kissa's Antibacterial Pail Liner{x2}
We'll have a tightly-lidded trashcan + these liners as our "diaper pail."  Add a little Bac-Out& {apparently} you're good to go for a few days as far as foul odor elimination is concerned.

Kissa's One Size Antibacterial Wet Diaper Bag{"Mocha Swirl"}
Itzy Ritzy Zippered Wet Bag{"Urban Jungle Pink"}
Diaper bag necessities for CDing mamas.

California Baby Diaper Area Wash
All the better to wet your cloth wipes with, my dear.

Magic Stick All Natural Diaper Ointment
Can't use traditional diaper creams with cloth.  Some people use straight up coconut oil, but this seems like way less mess and definitely easier for on-the-go changes.

Rockin' Green Classic Rock Smashing Watermelons
I've already busted open my bag to prewash all the bebe frocks... Its almost impossible to pass the laundry room without sticking my nose in it now!


First Monogrammed Item! Patting myself on the back for such a symmetrical name choice

Land's End Natural Zip Top Canvas Tote {Medium; Navy}
I think I added and removed 8 different diaper bags to our registry over the course of three months.  None of them were exactly what I wanted {ie: durable, lots of pockets, cute but unisex enough that E would carry it, not so pricey that I'd cringe every time I spy baby barf on it}.  Lands End totes are all that with enough room leftover for your bag of chips.

Playtime
Toys

Fisher-Price Rainforest Melodies & Lights Deluxe Gym
This is hands-down the gaudiest piece of baby crap we now own.  It's straight up eye and ear molestation.  Which apparently makes it the Baby Bomb Dot Com.  And so I'm down with it residing in my living room for the foreseeable future.

Lamaze Play & Grow Toys{Mortimer Moose, Jacques Peacock, Bill D. Beaver}
I've been told to attach these to the carseat, stroller, above-described-playmat, etc and watch the baby go ga-ga.

Vulli Sophie the Giraffe TeetherTeething Ring
Never have I seen a piece of rubber more popular.

Baby Einstein Musical Motion Activity Jumper
Yet another item we don't presently own, but I'm sure it'll beat out that playmat for Badass Small Fry Entertainment in 6 months or so.  Bonus Points: It speaks my language {ie: Spanish} and the language of love and Le Creuset.

PHEW.  Are we exhausted yet?

Hopefully this endeavor was helpful in some slight way... I promise an Actual, Informed Update once Quesita is actually enjoying {or rejecting, as the case may be} our picks.

And, muchas gracias to all the other brave souls who've gone before me... if it appears I've ganked 60% of the registry items you posted about in the past, it's probably because I think you're the cat's pajamas.  Consider yourself a Baby Crap Genius in my eyes.

** Main Sources consulted include mama friends {"real life" and otherwise}, Consumer ReportsLucie's List {which I adore... sign up for the newsletters... they're free and they're fab}, and the much-touted Baby Bargains Book.

42 comments:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH for this post Kate! I've been reading your hilarious blog for a while now, but this is my first comment. You are now my Baby Crap Genius :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starring this post in reader to review again once it is closer to the time for us to register. I'm glad you put it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everything looks great! Try stuff out, see what works, and order what you need from Amazon Mom.

    If you are interested in breastfeeding (which I gather you are), I would snag a bunch of breastfeeding camis. I like the ones from Target. That way, you can easily unsnap and feed instead of messing around with your shirt. Breastfeeding can be a challenge, so eliminate all barriers!

    Also, I'd pick up some lanolin so you have some on hand. Oh, and in case you delivery vaginally, grab some hemorrhoid cream and stool softeners. I never thought I'd tell someone to buy hemorrhoid cream and stool softeners...but after delivering my daughter vaginally, well, I like to keep it real with soon to be delivering mamas. Feel free to email me with any recovery questions ;)

    You and E will do great! Quesita is lucky to have you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent choices. You also have to get the fisher price crib soother. My son has the rain forest one. At almost two years old, he still watches it as he goes to sleep. We call it his tv. He also turns it on to read books as he goes night night in his crib. Best 35 bucks ever spent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy S. That is a lot of stuff. Thank you for reminding me that no matter how cute babies are I can't afford one yet! haha! GREAT choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kate! I am not a mom yet, but I really enjoy seeing what people register for and what they decided on. I think this will really help me when my time comes. I have one question, and I hope it isn't too personal. I have been really interested in cloth diapering when I have a baby. However, I work...and I just don't know how in world that works out when you have to send your baby to a day care after those initial 8-12 weeks. I don't know if you are going back to work or not, so maybe this isn't an issue for you. However, if you are planning to go back to work...would you mind sharing with me how you are going to make that work at daycare? I would jump on cloth diapering one day, but that is one thing I see as an issue once I have a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GOOD WORK, KATE! We have several of these items and love them...

    The Snugabunny Swing is amazing (and my little dumpling is snoozing in it right now) in that it plugs in and is NOT NOISY. I borrowed a swing from a friend before we bought this to make sure he'd like it and their swing was SO NOISY.

    We also have the Snugabunny bouncer which he's only just now starting to tolerate. It travels around our house as a place to put the baby when we need free hands.

    I also have a Boppy-like nursing pillow and the My Brest Friend. I keep the boppy-like pillow in our bedroom for night feedings as it's easier to manuever in the middle of the night (no strap to click around the waist). But, the My Brest Friend is my one true love for day feedings. You can keep stuff in the pocket! (baby nail clippers, chapstick, lanolin)

    Burpy Bibs are the BEST and we go through far too many each day (my boy is a spitter).

    The only swaddling device we've had luck with is the old-fashioned (not really) swaddling blanket. Of Aden + Anais, Swaddle Designs and Luna Lullabye, the Swaddle Designs is our favorite. I do want to try the other velcro-y type devices soon as we'll soon be making the move to the crib and I feel like I will be constantly checking to make sure he's not broken out of the blanket when he's in his crib. (He is a mini-Houdini)

    Naturally, we have THREE Sophie the Giraffes and my child hates them. Hopefully he changes his mind. You will learn to LOVE that damn baby gym when you see how happy it makes your baby. Now, at 8 weeks, Henry is interacting with his gym (the Skip Hop Treetop Something or Other) and COOING AT THE ANIMALS. My heart bursts when he plays in it.

    I learned about the Medela Steam Bag things only after we purchased a large Avent sterilizer thing and I wish I knew about them sooner. They are a lifesaver for quickly sterilizing pump parts, pacifiers, etc.

    And, lastly, not sure how soon you are planning on introducing a bottle, but if it's sooner rather than later, make sure you have slow flow nipples. We unfortunately had to introduce one at 3 or 4 days old because my milk wasn't in yet and he was dropping weight rapidly (I still want to cry about this) so we had to supplement briefly and all the nipples we had (Medela) just poured milk down his throat which made for a very angry little Mister.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great great list!! Wish I would have started baby led weaning from the start (well 6 mo start)....I was too wimpy. We started at 7 and haven't looked back to annoying purees since. The beaba trays are great but pricey- you prob only need one especially if you're doing BLW. Also, I highly recommend renaming Bill D as Justin Beaver. Still makes me laugh. A word of caution though- "where is his beaver?" gets even more awkward when it's a girl baby ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for this post! i am only 6 weeks today, so registering for baby gear is a ways off, but i bookmarked this and it will definitely be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. might i suggest some baby einstein lullabies for the little goober's ipod? or for your vehicle. that cd along with the soothing sounds lamb (http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Sleep-Soothing-Sounds-Nature/dp/B000GKWA66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326209640&sr=8-1) have been our best purchases. if L is crying in her carseat, i turn on track 3 of that cd and BAM, she's quiet. if L is being particularly cranky about going to sleep, i turn on the soothing sounds lamb and BAM, girlfriend dozes off. i finally just started keeping the cd in the car full-time en route to and from errands and attached the lamb to our glider for use every night. we've had maybe 1 difficult night of getting her to sleep since implementing the lamb full-time, and that was because i drank a tall caramel macchiato 30 min before i had last nursed her. oops.

    side note: my sister borrowed my car for a week and her 1 year old daughter would crash instantaneously when she played the cd. and i almost returned that lamb because i'd never heard of it and am now oh so thankful i didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Babies require a LOT of equipment, don't they?? When I was pregnant, I swore to myself that my house would not become a plastic jungle. It did.

    You made lots of great choices and I'm sure you/Quesita will love many of them. However, I must say that the hands-free pumping bra is THE. BEST. THING. EVER. I didn't have for the first couple days and holding those breastpump cups/funnels with your hands is so difficult!

    Just my two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did your research! I love so many of the products you listed.

    If I may make a recommendation, the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature milk bibs are awesome. We got the soft bibs you mentioned too and will use those once we start with solids but the TT milk bibs are great for bottle feeding. They fit close to the neck to catch all the milk that would otherwise drip down her face and into her rolly polly neck, but they're soft and padded at so that they're comfy up against the throat. If I didn't have these, I'd be bathing her after every bottle to get the milk out of her neck! Other bibs don't sit tight enough to the throat to catch milk drips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to say that I laughed when I saw the picture on the package of the lady simultaneously on her laptop AND wearing the Medela hands-free pumping bra at Babies R' Us, but now that I think back to pumping exclusively for NINE MONTHS and holding onto both funnels for up to 30-minutes at a time, I might reconsider for baby #2.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, I was going to post this very long comment and let you know how I like some of these things. (Since, clearly I'm an expert now after 15 weeks!) But, then i figured I should probably write my own post.

    I will say, that swing is the best $150 bucks we've spent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For what it's worth...

    I used the Lansinoh milk storage bags with my first (who is now 3) - I work full time, so I did a lot of pumping, and had a lot to store. Probably 60% of my Lansinoh bags rips while I was defrosting. I finally got smart and started defrosting them inside of a large ziploc bag (which I'm not sure how sterile that was...he's now 3 and healthy, so no long term damage done!). I now have a 6 month old and use the Honeysuckle storage bags. I have not had one single bag rip, and they are biodegradable. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a new(ish) mom to a six-month-old, I concur with the other commenters - great list!

    The Aden + Anais blankets are the BEST ever, and being down in Texas, you'll appreciate how lightweight they are. My son had no interest in Sophie whatsoever, and then around month five, became obsessed. (A helpful tip I learned - once you put Sophie in the dishwasher, she [miraculously] loses her squeak.)

    And the Rainforest gym - oh, the Rainforest gym. I had originally picked out a non-musical, non-flashy, non-offensive activity mat, which my son liked okay. But then upon a visit to a friend's house, who had the Rainforest activity mat, he was absolutely mesmerized by the lights and the music - for well over an hour. So yeah. Now we also own the Rainforest Jumparoo as well as the Rainforest crib soother thing. My husband and I have gotten quite used to a little Costa Rican calypso flair up here in Connecticut.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful helpful post! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That fisher price swing IS baby crack. I saw it first hand with my nephew this weekend and all I could think is 'who was the genius who invented this!?"

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very impressed with your list! As a mom of a 9-month-old girl, we have (and use and love) many of these things. I really really wanted to be a baby-wearing mama, but I found that in Texas, it was just too freakin' hot most of the time. I do love the Ergo for traveling though, and for trips to the store, but the Moby just ended up being waaaay too hot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good call on all of this! I know I'm just an internet stranger, but I also did a shit-ton of research and I think you did a really great job. We debated between the Oxo Tot and the Stokke Tripp Trapp for months... Went with the Stokke and hate it. It's now on Craigslist for just enough to let me get the Oxo. And the Lands' End tote is definitely the way to go. I spent $200+ on a Petunia Pickle Bottom and just Craigslisted that shit as well for an LL Bean tote almost exactly like yours. Make sure you get on Zulily, too. About 90% of my son's wardrobe comes from there, and it's stuff I never would have been able to justify without the crazy discounts they offer. You do have to jump on it early though, but I think you are an experience Gilt shopper so you should be used to the drill.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We had a handful of the items that you listed. My little guy loved the swing, and it was easy to clean if there was an accidents. Aden and Anais are the best! It was the only blanket we could use to swaddle my son. They are also perfect for covering up while nursing because they are lightweight. I have the Madela freestyle pump, and it is well worth the money. When I went back to work I was pumping four times a day, and it was very efficient. All you need is a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've used Lucie's List, Baby Bargains and friends advice too and found even more stuff/helpful advice on here to register for. Also, we've registered for the same stroller - a relief to see someone else that researched it and liked it. Thanks for posting this! It was definitely helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is one lucky little girl! Thanks for all the info. One day, when I have a baby I am totally stalking this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  24. GREAT post! I actually have a "Baby Must Haves" and "Don't Bother With It" post coming this Friday... but a lot of my faves are on your list, so great work! haha... I can't tell you enough how much I love the Aden & Anais swaddle blankets. My son is 7mos old and still obsessed with them. And I'm currently expecting a girl and I hope she loves them, too bc I've definitely stocked up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Was in a huge hurry and had to breeze through so these are my flash thoughts.

    Convertible.........Yes!
    2 breast feeding pillows.....duh
    Chicco..............did you notice that they shelf life their products? probably the reason folks are rushing right on to having the next child
    Rat Terrier..........i don't think it's safe or well loved by anyone's kiddo yet
    OsoCozy......obviously E's choice...da bear, yano......but they are clueless since they have no bear logo. perhaps your next job could be hispantisizing but really I think we should go straight to Poncaddying.
    MagicStick.....may have been the magic switch at my house
    Pack-n-Play vs Playpen.......soon enough you'll get it....it's more about penning than playing

    loveumore...splch

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm really interested in how the cloth diapering goes once the little Ita gets here. When (and unless something goes horribly wrong it'll be a good while) there's a little Brownlet I'd like to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. GREAT post! We're just embarking on the what the frick do we register portion of this pregnancy business. Now I need to figure out where we're going to store all of this multicolored plastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Don't swap the Motorola for the Summer monitor -- the Motorola has more channels and so there's less potential for wi-fi interference (it scans the channels for interference automatically). If you do experience wi-fi interference, you have to turn off both the receiver and the camera. The only downside to the Motorola is that there's no off button for the sound. (Which doesn't seem like it would matter, but it does.)

    Good call on a lot of the items. Aden & Anais stuff is indeed great. I got a Graco Snugride and wish I'd bought the Chicco (the Graco fabric bothered me and the padding was always showing). My son was a carrier hater, so my research on wraps and carriers was all for nothing, but the Ergo was the one that seemed most rec'd (I then tried 4 others; none were successful).

    Oh, and that Rainforest playmat is indeed awesome. Ugly, yes, but awesome also. It's sort of a gateway drug into ugly plastic crap though, so be warned.

    Lastly, on the pump, I'd strongly rec renting the hospital pump for the first month, and then buying your own. 1. The hospital pumps are way more efficient and gentler on you. 2. If BFing doesn't work out, you haven't spent an extra $300 on it.

    And you'll need stool softeners no matter how you deliver. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So happy for yall! Exciting times watching your house being taken over... And this is only the beginning! We have a tool bench in our den. Good times. Anyway LOVE the Motorola monitor. It's our third attempt at a good monitor and I can't say enough good things about it (only complaint is I can't silence it like I could our levana one. In a small house I can hear the screaming just fine but like the screen to see baby isn't stuck or anything). Anyway best of luck and will keep reading for the good news of her arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  30. We LOVE the OXO high chair. Seriously love it. Just beware that the tray is VERY susceptible to knife cuts. Like even from the dullest of the dull butter knives.

    I'll be curious if you like those Summer Infant sheet protectors - we had them and hated them (even though they came SO highly recommended). Ours shrunk and never fit correctly and just didn't work as intended. Total bummer.

    We also love our Chico car seat and you will, too! Baby girl is all set!

    ReplyDelete
  31. P.S. Thatcher still uses the boppy to eat bottles at nearly a year - they are so necessary and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wowee. That is some lotta stuff. Well, why not. Just wanted to chime to say, if you ever need some old lady hippie mother of two grown kids support, I'll be right here. Cheering on the attachment parenting and telling you she'll sleep when she's two:). Go Quesita, go!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just ordered the Oxo high chair, because my little guy HATES our very pretty (and $$$) Stokke. You'll quickly find that all the cute crap you bought your baby is stuff YOU like and your babe? May or may not like anything you bought them! And l like the person said above - I swore SO hard that my house wouldn't become a Shrine to Plastic Shit, but it so has. The uglier and louder, the more he likes it. I don't even care anymore! ... kind of ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are very smart to be getting a snap and go! I thought a travel system was such a perfect idea but the stroller is SO dang bulky! I am now looking to get a lighter weight stroller for when he can hold his head up a little better. My little one loves his snugabunny swing and we have the matching bouncer that he loves even more. Oh and I had to have a "designer" diaper bag and pretty much hate it. I got the Lands End Little Tripper and it is so much better for outings and such.

    ReplyDelete
  35. i have been waffling on a baby carrier for months now...can't decide between the ergo and the newest baby bjorn model. i have friends who love the ergo, but i'm struggling with the fact that baby can't face out. i know they claim babies can be overstimulated by facing out, but that just seems a little much for me. what were your thoughts on this?

    also have a moby which i attempted to put on at 37 weeks pregnant. truly comical.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm a total stranger but yay for cloth diapers in Dallas! We use cloth diapers too and I love the BG and Fuzzibunz in snaps. The fuzzibunz smalls didn't fit until my boy was bigger (maybe 6 months?) but the mediums have fit him for a long time and the wash really well.

    The only other thing that I love is the Bumkins super bibs. My babe is a chunko and the Bjorn plastic bib never looked comfy on him. We love the bumkins bibs and you can just toss them in the washing machine after you use them.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your blog and have read for some time and I'm going to say this as a mother of 5 babies ( yes, babies even though they are currently 4,6,8,10 and 12)). Keep it simple. My babies wanted to breast feed and loved the bouncy chair. That was it. Babies are truly simple people. They only want mom, which meant carrying in a Bjorne always.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love this post...you make me feel way behind though!! I just haven't had any showers yet...next weekend, I am so ready to be able to start setting everything up. I am very interested in seeing what of all this stuff that I have registered for too, will actually be used.

    After hearing several incidences of the Summer breaking, I spent a good two hours on amazon and other sites reviewing the summer vs. the motorola. I just returned the summer and got the motorola, based on everything I read people seem much happier with the picture quality, less interference, etc. We shall see!

    Hope these last few weeks treat you well!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great post! I wanted to mention that for the baby carriers (bjorn, k'tan, moby, etc), I'd suggest seeing if there is a baby wearing group in your area, or a store that sells them. DC has quite a few that will let you go in and try them on, to see what works. I wish I'd done that first before buying a Bjorn (which husband liked better, and called dibs on), Moby (wayyy too complicated for me), regular sling (okay, but didn't like that it didn't adjust), and finally falling in love with a ring sling. Such a waste of money!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is my first comment on your blog but I have enjoyed reading it for awhile. I'm a CD mom to a 13 month old and just want to suggest a couple other diapers you might really like....Bummis Tots Bots Easy Fits are my favorite and don't stay on the shelf at our local CD store and rumparooz are great too! The rumparooz seem to fit sooner than some of the others and have a double gusset which is great for leaks. I also have several BumGenius AIO's that I send to our home daycare. They are much more agreeable to the AIO diapers and the velcro. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is my first comment on your blog but I have enjoyed reading it for awhile. I'm a CD mom to a 13 month old and just want to suggest a couple other diapers you might really like....Bummis Tots Bots Easy Fits are my favorite and don't stay on the shelf at our local CD store and rumparooz are great too! The rumparooz seem to fit sooner than some of the others and have a double gusset which is great for leaks. I also have several BumGenius AIO's that I send to our home daycare. They are much more agreeable to the AIO diapers and the velcro. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hey, I love your blog and I actually bookmarked this post awhile back to reference later on. At any rate, I am finally pregnant and so now I am starting to research more in depth and I know you have done some followups, and I enjoyed them, but I was wondering if you would be up for doing more followups related to what you registered for; as to what you actually used and liked, etc.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!