Sunday, January 22, 2012

Menu Sunday

Another week, another menu...
Italian Beef with Cheesy Polenta
courtesy of  Cooking Light
Italian Beef w/ Cheesy Polenta
New recipe I've had dog-eared from the November CL issue... Big, big hit!  Sometimes E is weird about things like grits and polenta but he gave this two enthusiastic thumbs up {fine holiday fun!}.  Modifications: Not many... didn't have any oregano {odd} so I used dried basil in the polenta.  And I didn't add the chopped onions since my sauce {Ma's Angry Sauce} had plenty of flavor.

Brussels Sprout Slaw w/ Avocado, Grapes, & Mustard Vinaigrette
Brussels Sprouts Slaw w/ Grapes, Avocado & Mustard Vinaigrette + Roti Chicken
Out of this world.  Seriously knocked our socks off.  Not sure what else I can say... E is currently scarfing the leftovers straight out of the Tupperware... they only lasted an hour after their initial debut at supper. Modifications: I used a raspberry dijon mustard instead of plain dijon and did not add vanilla.  Served with rotisserie chicken.  Update: This was such a hit, I made it again for dinner with my in-laws.

Jan's Nine Bean Soup
Spicy 9 Bean Soup
Aside form being a Phallic Cookie Baking Extraordinaire, Jan makes a mean Nine Bean Soup!  I'm not sure if I've posted this before but it'sso easy and just gets better as it "ages" {= delicious leftovers and great for freezing}. 

Ingredients
- 2 c. bean mix 
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can of Rotel {or 1 can of chopped tomatoes + 4oz can of green chiles}
- 6 c. water
- 1 beef bouillon cube {you could also use beef stock instead of water} 
- 1 ham bone or 3/4lb of sausage {I used smoked venison sausage this go-round} 
- salt & pepper to taste 

Pick through beans, then allow them to soak overnight or for 8 hours. Drain. 

If you are using sausage... Brown / saute sausage and onion together in a large stock pot or dutch oven.  Add remaining ingredients and bean mix, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours. 

If you are using a hambone... Bring all ingredients to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours.  Remove bone before serving, pulling excess bits of ham from bone and stirring back into the soup. 

Serves about 6.  Goes great with cornbread.

Orecchiette with Spicy Chicken Sausage & Broccoli Rabe
Orecchiette w/ Spicy Sausage & Broccoli Rabe
This was just "meh."  I liked it reheated the next day better than I did freshly made, but there are so many other amazing pasta dishes out there, why waste any time with one that's just so-so?  Modifications: I used spicy chicken sausage... Admittedly, this could be why the dish didn't turn out as yummy as I'd hoped. I also added peas. 

Lazy Paella: Rotisserie Chicken with Lemon Saffron Rice
adapted from Cooking Light
Lazy Paella aka Lemon-Saffron Chicken & Rice
Any recipe that allows me to whip out my teensy "drug-dealing" bag of saffron is usually a-okay in my book!  {Seriously, don't y'all feel like black market apothecaries when you pull out that little black satchel?}  This was the perfect dish for leftover chicken - super quick for a weekday!  Modifications: Obvs, I used rotisserie chicken rather than shrimp.  Everything else stayed the same. 

Grapefruit Pound Cake
courtesy of Cooking Light
Grapefruit Pound Cake
Given my current obsession with grapefruit and the rave reviews this recipe has already racked up, I had a feeling this would be a Grade A Winner.  I made this for dinner with the in-laws and everyone agreed it was a homerun - super moist, great flavor {but not overpoweringly grapefruity}.  This would be easily adaptable for any other flavor of pound cake, too!  Modifications: I used full fat cream cheese. Duh. 

6 comments:

  1. that brussel sprout slaw sounds phenomenal.. making it this week for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely think I'm gonna try to make the polenta and beef recipe this week. It sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the need to share that I felt like an international drug smuggler bringing saffron and other spices back from Dubai. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh...grapefruit pound cake sounds amazing! seems like a perfect addition to a dessert table at a shower or church event. thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on such a brussel sprout kick lately... I might have to add that salad to my menu this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The brussels sprout slaw and a WF rotisserie chicken was a major hit with my husband, too! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!