Sunday, January 29, 2012

Menu Sunday

The lineup from last week...

Hamburger Stroganoff 
courtesy of Cooking Light
Adult Hamburger Helper. I mean, STROGANOFF
While I grew up eating pretty "wholly" {before such a thing was... "a thing"}, there are two straight-from-the-box foodstuffs that immediately remind me of childhood... Velveeta Shells & Cheese and Hamburger Helper Creamy Stroganoff.  Mmmmmm, processed delciousness.  Here we have Cooking Light's Adult Hamburger Helper... pretty good and super easy!  Modifications: I only used half a cup of sour cream and I axed the mushrooms.  Served with steamed broccoli... just like Jan used to do it!

Beef & Barley Stew
courtesy of How Sweet It Is
Beef & Barley Stew
The perfect meal for a very rainy evening!  Super easy to throw together... just make sure you have 2-3 hours to let it simmer!  Modifications: I used halved pee wee potatoes instead of dicing up russets.  I only simmered for a little over 2 hours {adding the tomatoes after an hour and a half}, and the meat was ridiculously tender - definitely didn't need the 3rd hour!  I also didn't add the water... I like my soups and stews a bit thicker. 

Crockpot Parmesan Chicken w/ Orzo & Roasted Brussels
chicken & orzo courtesy of How Sweet It Is
roasted brussels recipe here
Parmesan Crockpot Chicken w/ Orzo & Roasted Brussels
I think this has the potential to be a good crockpot meal... but I overdid it on the cook time.  The recipe says 6-8 hours on low, and, fearing coming home to still-pink chicken breasts, I cranked the dial all the way to 8. Learn from my dry meat and err on the low end. I also think mixing the veggies in as the recipe states is a better way to go about things than my on-the-side presentation. Oh well. Que sera, sera.

Whole Wheat Sour Cream Banana Nut Muffin
adapted from Martha Stewart
Whole Wheat Sour Cream Banana Nut Muffins
I made these to freeze for easy snacks / breakfast when Quesita makes her big debut... but of course we had to taste-test!  Pretty delicious!  Modifications: I used whole wheat flour, light sour cream, and walnuts. And, obvs, I made muffins instead of bread... and thus modified the cook time to about 26 minutes after consulting Twitter. 

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks delicious. How funny, we have stroganoff on our menu for this upcoming week- hope ours turns out as well as yours. Is it weird that I've never had it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try that crockpot chicken recipe. You will adore having treats in your freezer. I broke into some of ours this week and it has been sooo nice to not worry about it and just focus on getting to know the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those muffins look great! I have had the urge to bake a lot lately and these could be next!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!