Sunday, February 12, 2012

29

On the eve of my 29th... 

I just finished an entirely-too-large bowl of Bluebell Banana Pudding ice cream.

{worth it}

Earlier, E and I made slaw {he is quickly becoming a fine brussels shredder and dressing whisker} and roasted tri-colored pee wee potatoes and danced to a little Whitney for nostalgia's sake.

We watched the Grammys with our first born murmuring warm puppy sighs between us and our second to-be born performing the Fat Joy "Lean Back" against the right side of my rib cage.

Tomorrow, Monday, we start a new week...

Our last full week before meeting our daughter...

My last week before bidding good-bye to my colleagues and clients and ending a career chapter {more on that to come}...

The first week in the last year of my twenties.


I always thought 29 would be a tough pill to swallow.

And perhaps I'm simply too tired to fret over the passage of time, but I'd rather color myself content.

Content in timing that's out of my hands.  Content in this skin, even as it's been stretched and swollen and blemished these past months. Content with both my accomplishments and short-comings.  Content with taking life at a slower pace for a little while.

{Content with embodying  a few cliches as well, I'm afraid.}


Now, it is snowing.

As a kid, I always pined for a birthday pool party.  But this year... snow.

Ever-so-lightly falling, but... snow.

It's fitting, though.  I'll refrain from typing "content" again, but... Calm. 

Yep.  Calm. 



Don't worry, though.  There's more than enough time for an Epic Freak Out.

Pass the cupcakes, universe!

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Kate! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiest of birthdays to you, Kate!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Kate! I hope you have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Kate - I love that last balloon pic. How perfect for a wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, Chill. spleeccchhh XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! Sounds like you're in for a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy birthday! Enjoy your day today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! I'll be 29 in two weeks, and I always wished for those pool parties too. I hated being a winter baby! Still don't really love it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful way to welcome 29. Also, I do believe it's the perfect age to become a mother. Hope you have a very happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy birthday! how wonderful to share your birthday month with your daughter. thinking of you in your last few pre-baby days. i'm 3 weeks on the other side and i can tell you all the cliches are true - being a mom to a newborn is the hardest and most wonderful thing ever. i'm curious to hear about your career plans, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! I'm not that excited about turing 29 but you make it sound pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy birthday! treasure this week - and all that is to come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday, Kate! I hope you enjoy your last week of a family of three. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy, happy birthday! Oh, and:

    Oh. My. GOSH. Are you quitting your job??? Are you going to stay home with this little one for a while??? Of COURSE, NO judgement if you are not. I'm not one of those stay-home-moms who think it's the only way it should be done. But I AM doing it for a reason, and let's just say it's not the excellent wages or the intellectual stimulation. The bottom line is that I'm too big of a weenie to hand over a two- or three-month-old to anyone other than maybe my mom for an hour, max. I'm just not made of the kind of stuff that it takes to not be with my babies 24/7. But that's just me and I know many many moms are not that way. Anyway. I'm jumping to conclusions, but the way you said that about your career. . .well, I just hope you get around to that post before the baby arrives because I, for one, am curious!

    But mostly, happy birthday. It seems like you're in such a good place right now, and that's wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday, Kate! I can't wait to read about all the exciting changes coming your way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Bday! Soon you'll be celebrating a little quesita bday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Content sounds like the perfect place to be at this time of your life. Get ready for a very exciting ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday! You sound so nested and blissful. What an awesome adventure that you are about to embark on!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday! What a great belated bday present Quesita will be!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy birthday, lady!! 29 isn't too bad...but 30 can be a toughie to swallow:)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!