Wednesday, February 1, 2012

36 weeks


Work Baby Shower OOTD!
35w3d before Work Baby Shower
{Day 31: You, Again} #janphotoaday
36 weeks

Marination Time 36 weeks yesterday.  As of this week's appointment, we're pretty sure Quesita will in fact be a February Baby {just like her mama, dad, great-grandmother, and 3 of her great-aunts!}... Which means, as of today, she will be born this month.  Nuts-on-a-stick, y'all. 

Maternity Clothes: For work, I'm down to a pair of pants and a maxi skirt from Old Navy and dresses with leggings. On the weekends, it's all about my Old Navy skinnies, leggings {my favorite are Ingrid & Isabel}, and yoga pants. I only purchased two "special event" dresses for this pregnancy and both still work...but the Blue or Red {ASOS Maternity, but no longer for sale}, Blue or Red, Blue or Red decisions are getting a bit tiresome. 

I had a few questions about the outfits in the photos above.  The printed dress is actually a Milly trapeze dress I've owned for 3 or so years. It is not maternity... basically just a knit sack sans belt.  The floral belt was one of my first ever Etsy purchases and is made by Heart of Light. The black maxi "dress" in the second photo is actually the Old Navy maxi skirt paired with a black maternity tank and one of my beloved Heritage cardigan.  

Fruit of the Week / Size:  TB still says Honeydew, and BC says Crenshaw Melon.  Not sure if I've ever tasted or seen a Crenshaw Melon.  Huh.  Our growth scan this week showed a huge jump in weight... from 5 lbs to 6 lbs 12 oz.  In the exact words of my OB... "bullshit."  She guesses Baby Girl is currently weighing in somewhere closer to 6 lbs even. 

Movement: This is graphic but... it literally feels as if her feet are jiving inside my hoo-ha. I seriously expect to go to the bathroom and find a wee foot poking out.  Beautiful imagery, I know.  But, sure enough, during my first internal exam yesterday, my OB felt her feet springboarding off my cervix. 

Cravings: Same, same, same... ice cream, grapefruit, ice water.

Annoyances: Those stiff joints from last week?  Pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel.  Awesome.  I've noticed the swelling in my feet at the end of the day is uneven - with my left side much larger than my right.  Twitter was 100% correct... it's just due to how she's positioned.  Lastly... for the past few days, I've felt as though I threw out my back. I've racked my brain for potential causes, and the only thing I can come up with is the hour of filing I did last Friday.  Yes.  I said FILING.  I guess that's another lesson learned... failing to properly push paper for a month is hazardous to one's health. 

Belly Button Watch: IN. 

Highlights of the Week: The shower thrown for LJH by my sweet coworkers {there was ICE CREAM CAKE... I love those peeps}.  Kicking off E's birthday week celebration with a family dinner at Perry's.

Medical Updates: We officially have Full Footling Breech baby on our hands.  As my OB said "she is really mucking up my vaginal delivery rate!"  To which I replied... "she's mucking up my vaginal delivery rate, too!"  All kidding aside, we're not surprised in the least to find ourselves in this place at 36 weeks, but it was super surreal to actually schedule her birthday yesterday.  If she insists on being stubborn right to the bitter end, she shall be born on Tuesday, February 21st.  I have to admit, I'm a bit enamored with the date... Fat Tuesday + New Moon + Odd Number {Gran Jan loves odd numbers} + "Tuesday's child is full of grace."  I also admit I'm hoping that, by proclaiming my love of the 21st, Bebe Girl will decide to show me a thing or two about spunk and flip right on around at the last minute.  Time will tell!  And, until then, I shall embrace my Inner Dallasite and book my mani-pedi and blowout. I may not have my perfect Ina May Gaskin Experiencebut DAMNIT, my hair will look AMAZING.

Growth scans and NSTs continue to go very well.  Our perinatologist is no longer concerned with growth restriction!  Three cheers for that!  As I mentioned above, she was actually measuring HUGE yesterday {compared to her past measurements, that is} at 6 lbs 12 oz - 71st percentile.  I think we'll go with my OB's more conservative measurement of 6 lbs flat though - especially considering that my belly didn't grow at all in the past 2 weeks {measuring 34 weeks instead of 36}.  The important thing is that she is definitely a getting bigger and continues to do impressive, mini-prodigy-esque things like practice her breathing and grow hair {HAIR!}.

First internal exam showed zero dilation with some effacement. Almost impossible to put an exact % on the effacement because Cheesette's feet were pressing back again my OB's hand.  The "lack of progress" didn't surprise me in the slightest as I've had no contractions {Braxton Hicks or the real deal}, cramping, or other pre-labor signals.  I was hoping to decline the rest of the internal exams, but my OB needs to know if there is any natural progression in order to continuously evaluate the delivery date.  My prediction is I'll stay zipped up tight until Feb 21 or - if she flips - until after my due date.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of an actual February Baby... I really didn't think this nugget would be born until March!  

19 comments:

  1. I am going to have to order that maxi skirt. I love the way it looks on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2/21/12! That has a nice ring to it! As fond as my memories are of flat ironing my hair during early labor (and putting down the chi every 5 minutes to get through a contraction), I am JEALOUS of your relaxing pre-labor plans. Either way quesita decides to make her debut, I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My younger sister just had her first and at 36 weeks. Last Friday her OB said that her cervix was thinning and 11 hours later she was in labor. She was super lucky and had a crazy fast delivery. But my best friend was 2 weeks late. So you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, February 21 is a wonderful birthday!! I also laughed out loud at the image of Quesita's feet dangling out during a bathroom break. Coffee spittage and all. Hugs to you, my dear friend... xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2-21-12 = AWESOME.

    What are the pros to declining all the future internal exams? I'm very unread in the natural labor movement, assuming it has something to do with that? I'm not quite at that point, but I'm sure as soon as I get my first internal I'll want it to be my last too! haha

    I always look so forward to your weekly updates, but I know I'm looking even more forward to LJH's arrival! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking great! Pregnancy induced carpel tunnel? Did you by chance read my post about that? Girl, I feel you. It's the worst. I hope all symptoms disappear for you right after little Miss' birth! Congrats - you are getting so close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited for you both!!! And I'm so happy to hear that some of the original worries are less so. Loving the fact that this stubborn little girl is not moving and insists on dancing on her momma's hoo-ha!!!

    I just want you to know I'm thinking of you and sending all sorts of good juju for an easy delivery - no matter what happens (flipping or not-flipping). And by the way, you look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading this weekly update. Sounds like she is going to stay put! :)

    Have you thought about seeing a chiropractor? I know, it is all hippie granola of me to say. My husband has always seen one, and while I use cloth diapers and amber necklaces, etc. with my first born I wasn't convinced that it would work. It wasn't until a friend of mine at church who suffered from pregnancy induced carpel tunnel and other things told me that labor was going to be harder this time around because of my back issues. I made an appointment later that day.

    Girl, can I just tell you that I feel like I brand new person? They also have ways of helping the baby flip. Obviously, you would need to find one that understands pregnant women and I am not sure with your little one's growing condition if it would do more harm than help.

    Can't wait to see what she decides to do. Doesn't it suck that you are not in control?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, my OB and peri are not comfortable with either the ECV or chiropractic techniques for flipping because of the exposed blood vessels on the umbilical cord. I can do some of the Spinning Baby type exercises which I've been pretty religious about!

      Delete
    2. The most important thing is keeping that baby cooking and safe! I will pray from some relief for you. Only a few more weeks.

      Delete
  9. Oh so exciting! I have my 36 week check up Friday am and an anxious to learn some news as the impending arrival grows closer!! Hopefully, she'll flip for you on her own!! Can't believe its already been almost 9 months - where has time gone!? And, I'm so ready for your CD post. We're CDing too and I feel super unprepared for babe to come home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great! I know maternity looks are hard, but even harder when you work and have to dress nice, and you totally pull it off!

    Baby girl is going to be here so soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are adorable. im so excited for an official birthday! that is crazy cakes! maybe she'll flip, maybe she wont, but she's a coming!!!! i want to see epics of the nursery soon, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate, you look WONDERFUL! This is exciting stuff. You've been on my mind a lot lately. Glad all is going well. Though tell Quesita she best step off...your cervix (OMG).

    YAY BABY!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally had to look up what a Crenshaw melon is (mostly because that's my maiden name), but I've never heard of it either.

    Sending you good vibes for a smooth delivery no matter how the Quesita decides to make her grand entrance. Keep up the wonderful zen attitude you have about it all; it will only help in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i asked my OB if it was normal to feel like i might look down and see a wee little hand waving at me. she said, 'yes....but if you look down and really do happen to see a hand, run to the emergency room because that is not normal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting to have a date! I'm expecting my Feb 28 bundle to join us in March. Hopefully very early March!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A baby THIS month?? I can't believe she's almost here!!! You are looking marvelous!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!