Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Snippets

After nearly 2 weeks of radio silence, you'd think I'd have it together enough to write an actual post. 

... you'd be giving me too much credit, apparently. 

Yep, yep, yep... the ol' bulleted list.  Surely a few of these thoughts will eventually work their way into something a bit more fleshed out in the coming days {weeks?}, but this is about all my current state as Human Barcalounger / 24-Hour All-You-Can-Eat Buffet will allow for the time being. 


* Cliches exist for a reason.  I've quickly learned its easier to embrace {some of} them.  I've become that parent on your Facebook feed... the one with 87 photos of their child not doing anything particularly exciting... "like" or comment and you'll make my day.  Yoga pants count as "getting dressed;" top it with a cardigan, and I mentally add a point for fanciness.  All of my attempts at said fanciness are met with spit-up on the shoulder.  My Sophie's Choice is hair blown dry or a face made-up... there's hardly room for both.  There are times when I am so overwhelmed with complete adoration of this child that I can't help but cry. 

IMG_0270

* Actually, I cry about a lot of things.  Our Bible'sdescription of "baby blues" discusses "crying, laughing, or sighing for no reason."  I've cried over countless nursing struggles.  I've cried over the state of my stomach.  I've cried over the Google Plus commercial with the new dad and lost baby photos.  I cried thinking about my mom leaving.  I cried when my mom left.  I've cried remembering that my mom left.  I've cried over spilled breastmilk. I cry during that fussy witching hour in the evenings when I just want to load the dishwasher with both hands.  I cried when L peed so forcefully that she gave herself a urine shampoo.  I've cried in the middle of the night, rocking my baby to songs my parents used to sing to me. I've cried as I've laid my head down to sleep while E takes a turn with L because I miss her. Suffice to say, we're all wondering when that spontaneous laughter part of Zee Ol' Blues is going to crop up.  

Blush & Bashful

* I've learned that caring for an infant isn't all that difficult 70% of the time.  There are only so many explanations for a baby's grumblings... they're either dirty, wet, hungry, sleepy, gassy, or plain fussy, and usually it's not rocket science figuring out which box needs to be checked.  HOWEVER.  It's that other 30% that leaves you feeling about as adept at mothering as a three dollar crack whore... And, as it turns out, 30% is enough to transform "not all that difficult" into "holy guacamole this is harder than I thought."  

Lazy Saturday

* I'm happy to report our first-born makes a grand big sister.  She's still a stinker in many other arenas {over-excitable, jumps up on visitors, etc}, but the greatest threat she poses to L is Baptism by Doggie Saliva. She has perfected her "I'll Remind You This Wasn't My Idea" face during fussy periods, but in general, she is rather fond of the new addition.  

IMG_0267

* Did y'all realize I was a Supreme Breastfeeding Expert prior to becoming a mom and, ya know, actually breastfeeding?  OH YES.  No formula supplementation, bottles or pacifiers prior to 4 weeks, sugar water, or nipple shields for my child. Errrrrrrrrm, yeah... let's just say my new position as Professional Boob came with a heaping helping of humble pie.  Breastfeeding is probably one of the toughest things I've done in a while, but I'm proud to say that it's finally getting easier... after supplementing with formula for a week, after giving L sugar water to calm her down in the hospital, and with the help of bottles, pacifiers, and nipple shields.

IMG_0242

* Aside from E's and my own, the voice most familiar and comforting to L is likely Amy Poehler's.  How have I not been watching Parks & Recreation until now?  Sure, manu late-night-nursing sessions are filled with lullabies and deep maternal thoughts... but sometimes 4 AM just begs for a little Leslie Knope and Ron Swanson.

Baby Fish Mouth! {name that movie}

* Tears, struggles, and frustrations aside, I'm enjoying the hell out of this kid.  

IMG_0283


43 comments:

  1. I'm rather impressed by her sweet face- it doesn't have that squashed newborn quality and instead just looks very Gerber Baby perfect. You are a great Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is gorgeous!! and you should check out: http://drunkronswanson.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many wonderful things to comment on here!

    First of all...she is cute as can be. Seriously. What a beautiful little girl.

    Secondly...I LOVE hearing about The Boom and how well she's doing. I wonder ALL the time how my two will do with a baby one day. I really love the picture of all 3 of you laying on the bed together :)

    And third...YAY PARKS AND REC! So glad you jumped on that train. How much do you love Little Sebastian (have you seen that one?)??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw. This post makes me smile big time. L is precious, thanks for sharing some insight into your first few weeks at home. And cut yourself some slack EVERYONE cries at that Google commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU are doing it girl. That is all that matters. This is the most amazing and peaceful time. I loved every second of it. That baby is gorgeous. I often think of this little quote from Winne the Pooh "amazing how something so small can take up so much of your heart" I fall in love with my baby girl every day. So glad to see you capturing it and taking it in stride . And if there is one thing motherhood does, it teaches us to be quite humble and keeps us in a state of awe.. enjoy my dear xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG - I've been worried about you... So glad you broke your silence - the first few weeks are the hardest ever! It's okay to cry, and like I told my best friend - "it's normal to feel like you totally ruined your life..." even though you love this little being so much and feel guilty for feeling that way... But, things get easier and you get used to the "new normal"... (are you sick of hearing that yet?) Breast-feeding is the hardest ever, don't feel guilty for a minute for changing some of your opinions - it's good to be flexible - and don't feel too guilty if it doesn't work out or if you decide you don't like it... you are free to change your mind about anything at anytime! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be sure to ask Maggie about Ron Swanson crushes- I've got a bad one, as does she! I'm going to email you some boob soreness reduction tips asap! But am glad that y'all are getting the hang of it! Leighton is completely adorable, and I know you are a smitten kitten xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's so gorgeous! I LOVE all the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's so beautiful, Kate! It's so great to hear how over the moon you are :) I'm so glad breastfeeding is getting easier...but oh my gosh even when it's easy and although it's wonderful it is still SO much work so give yourself a huge pat on the back. Keep the pictures of that sweet girl coming! Xo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The crying is normal. My doula told me that if I weren't crying she would have been worried, so that made me feel better when I was crying at absolutely nothing and everything at the same time. :) Good for you persevering on nursing! One of the hardest things I've ever been through, hands down. But it was all worth it in the end, and here I am going strong at 8 months in. Funny how we think we know so much until we actually do it. I came across this website/blog called "The Longest Hardest Time" and that pretty much sums up how I felt those first few weeks/months. She is gorgeous and keep up the good work, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The google + commercial is evil! I sobbed. I mean nasty, snotty sobbing. Thanks postpartum raging hormones! Your daughter is gorgeous, and you are too. The baby blues suck, we have just turned the corner here at 8 weeks, happy to report less crying and moving on to sighing which is much more manageable/more attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to "hear" from you! Looking forward to any other posts you find time to crank out in the nearish future :) She is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you're doing great! And yes, breastfeeding is really, really hard. Glad to hear that The Boom is doing well. It's hard to give them all of the attention you want to but really, we all know it's hard to pull yourself away from all of the adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to see some photos, she's beautiful. I still say breastfeeding is the hardest thing I've ever done. It didn't end up working out for me with either of my girls. Good luck to you and I hope it just keeps getting easier.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is so beautiful, and you look so happy! I couldn't be more thrilled for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh I love this. Isn't it in insane/crazy/beautiful time?!?! And I relate to you on the breastfeeding thing completely. We didn't have to supplement, but I thought it was going to be so crazy easy and OMG was it the hardest thing ever, harder than giving birth I think. You are doing an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the update! There is absolutely nothing like the time you're in right now. And you will honestly never ever forget all those tears, or why you cried in the first place, or the songs that made you cry, or the feeling of your mom leaving. The love is so incredibly overwhelming and the feeling of being overwhelmed is overwhelming. I'm crying just remembering all of it! Thanks for finding a little bit of time to check in with everyone. You're doing great and Miss L is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You must be doing something right because L is looking more beautiful and perfect everyday! Love her so much already. We have been watching Parks and Rec too. Love it. Don't feel bad about watching lots of tv while nursing. I watched all 5 seasons of Friday Night Lights during the first 3 months of Ella's life. Thank goodness for Netflix and the iPad otherwise I would not have been able to make it through the 4 am feedings. Oh and Breastfeeding is the hardest thing ever even the 2nd time around! You are doing great. XO

    ReplyDelete
  19. She is gorgeous! Thanks for being honest about your experience - I'm newly pregnant and it's nice to know there will be some varied emotions coming my way. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this. And I too, am on the 'breastfeeding can be the hardest, most frustrating, most self loathing-induced yet most beautiful experience (if even for only 6 weeks in my case) act that there is' bandwagon. Leighton is simply adorable, though. You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Promise, it gets easier. I had pretty bad post-pardum depression, so I know how bad it can feel. One thing someone told me during those first couple of weeks is remember it isn't always going to be this way and this isn't your permanent life. Things will be much different, but not as scary, crazy, stressful and overwhelming as they are now. It only gets better and easier from this point on. She is a beauty for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't it crazy, amazing, tough, awesome, stressful and a miracle!?!... she was inside you! Such a little blessing and she is just SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I love how you write... you make me laugh! There's nothing quite as equally humbling and rewarding as motherhood, ey? Your sweet girl sure is precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful mama, beautiful baby, beautiful pictures. :) Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  25. TRUTH! I'm two weeks ahead of you on this exciting journey of motherhood, and have felt, thought, been through every single thing you wrote (other than nipple shields). This human boob has to go pump, so daddy will have something to feed our little guy in the morning. Keep enjoying every moment and I look forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this post a lot. I feel like I'm about to dive headfirst into the scariest unfamiliar territory but reading this made me feel like it's going to be okay. Thanks, friend! Oh, and that's one good lookin' babe you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. When my son was a baby, you did a blog post where you talked about Mika's Happy Ending and posted a video link. He loved it. It was almost guaranteed to make him stop crying, at least for a little while. Could be something to try! I was always so thankful to you for that little gift of 4 minutes of peace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh man, I can totally relate to crying over your Mom leaving. I started crying when my Mom got here because I knew she would ultimately go home! I'm so glad you guys are doing well and I am thrilled to have an update! Keep up the good work Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are beautiful, LJH is beautiful!
    And I think a cardigan with yoga pants is plenty fancy. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So glad you're back! Enjoy your time as a new mamma, she is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so happy to see this update! She is just beautiful Kate! Enjoy this time-- it goes so quick!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is one beautiful baby! Sounds like you are soaking up every precious moment.

    ReplyDelete
  33. She is precious! I'm glad you are posting these updates. It gives me some realistic expectations of what will be happening in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love everything about this post!!! She is she gorgeous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You look amazing! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a gorgeous baby! She looks so bright eyed, alert and content! You must be doing something right :) I'm expecting my third (my first daughter!!) and reading this post just makes me so much more excited, it brings back such wonderful memories- even the crying and learning to breastfeed hell! ( and after many episodes of me being positive i was a horrible mom and my child would never breastfeed again, I went on to nurse both for over a year each) It sounds like you're doing great, and you look wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. YAY for getting back to the blog. Wonderful post. I love the Winnie the Pooh quote. It definitely happens to grandparents too. Wish I could be with you and L. every day! You're the best! XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congratulations, and it's great to hear from you! I was getting a little worried about you. :) I don't have much to comment on, as I'm not a mother yet, but thank you for being so motivating and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm kind of ridiculously proud of The Boom. Look at her being all top notch big sister!

    Your baby is ridiculous gorgeous. Like ridiculous. Like 2nd ever cutest baby (only behind my sweet BG of course). Okay... they can be tied for first ;)

    Breastfeeding is the best way to knock a new mom on her ass. Or at least feed her a slice of humble pie. Shoot, I ate the entire pie the first week of BG's life. So glad to hear it is going better!

    ReplyDelete
  40. She's just gorgeous!! I have to say, the 70/30 thing hasn't rung true for us at all. I don't think I'm stupider than the average new Mum, but figuring out whether my baby's windy or hungry or tired isn't all that easy, and if I can figure it out, fixing it is a whole nother story, with a reluctant burper and sleep evader! I'm glad it's different for you!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Kate, hang in there. I couldn't even locate sanity for the first 6 weeks. Your mom should have stayed longer:). Not to point any fingers, because we don't know this in modern days, but in the old days new moms got 6 weeks to lie in bed. Go you. Go baby. It gets easier, fast.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sounds like you are doing GREAT! I had a really difficult time with my first born and nursing and not sleeping. And now that my second is here I have had some similar latching issues with breastfeeding too. It is hard, but it gets easier, and fast. These newborn moments really are fleeting. You sound like you are soaking them up and that is good.

    P.S. I cried when my mom left and when I think about the fact that she is gone too

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!