Wednesday, April 25, 2012

bran-tastic

If the mark of an amazing foodstuff is the fact that you eat it every damn day without tiring, then get out your magic crayon and color these muffins delicious!

IMG_0597

Although, under that rule of thumb, you'd also have to color Gas Station Subway turkey sandwiches delicious... or you would if you were my husband circa 2005 through 2007.

Hmmmm...

Let's just drop a footnote excluding slimy lunch meat from the equation and get back to it, shall we?

These muffins are the shizzle.

{And!  They will help you... shizzle.  If that's something you're looking for.}

E and I have eaten them basically every morning since L arrived, thanks to my mama's freezer stocking skillz.  After making us three separate batches {the recipe makes a ton... 50 regular muffins or 100 mini muffins}, I figured it was high time I give GranJan a break and steal the recipe for my own kitchen... and for yours, if the mood strikes you!  

IMG_0600

Trivia Note: This recipe is an oldy. As in, the recipe card was created with a typewriter, and the original ingredients include a cereal that isn't made any more by a company that no longer exists.  That kind of old. Which means it's that kind of good to still be sticking around.

Actual, Helpful Note: You're going to need a huge-ass {technical term} mixing bowl.  I'm talking stainless steel, restaurant supply store style.  Or divy up the ingredients and mix twice in your KitchenAid. 

Ingredients
- 2 c. Original Fiber One cereal
- 4 c. Kellogg's All Bran Original cereal
- 2 c. boiling water
- 1 c. vegetable {any type} oil
- 1 c. sugar {or combination sugar + applesauce}
- 4 eggs
- 5 tsp. baking soda
- 2 scant tsp. salt
- 1 quart 1% buttermilk
- 5 c. sifted flour {you can use whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose white}

In a small bowl, pour 2 cups of boiling water over Original Fiber One cereal and allow to sit while preparing the following in your huge-ass mixing bowl... Cream oil, sugar {or sugar + applesauce}, and eggs.  Then add soda, salt, buttermilk, All Bran Original cereal, and the Fiber One / boiling water mixture.  Stir to combine.

Lastly, add the sifted flour and stir thoroughly.  Bake in lined muffin tins for 17-20 minutes in an oven preheated to 400 degrees.  You may also refrigerate dough in an air-tight container for up to 6 weeks, but do not stir once refrigerated.

We also like to add 3/4 c. of ground flax seed to the dough for a modern-day health boost!

Makes 50 muffins / 100 mini-muffins.  If you freeze any muffins, reheat by wrapping in a paper towel and nuking them in the microwave on high for 30-45 seconds.

IMG_0598

These are delectable drizzled with local honey.

6 comments:

  1. Nom nom nom.
    I've got a giveaway going on if you want to stop by!
    xoxo,
    dash

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite hotel/brunch place in Salt Lake (Little America) has the best bran muffins. Store bought ones don't taste the same. I'm going to have to try your recipe since they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE these muffins. I grew up eating a similar recipe and they are totally the shizzle. I know what I'm baking this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to remember this recipe for when I'm prepping the freezer for our baby's arrival in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bran muffins even though everyone thinks that's weird. I'm going to have to make some and freeze them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the typewriter reference! I hadn't thought about that in a long time.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!