Sunday, April 29, 2012

Menu Sunday

Three new recipes and the ol' hamburger standard this week...

Turkey Taco Mac Casserole
adapted from Annie's Eats

I forgot to snap a photo of my finished product... imagine this... but casserole-y-er.  I actually liked this fine, but E wasn't a fan... and neither was L.  I think it was the winning combination of onions + taco seasoning that did her in.  Regardless, I won't be making this again, but you should if you're a taco mac kinda gal {or guy!}.  Modifications: I subbed tomato sauce for the diced tomatoes, whole wheat pasta for regular, and nonfat Greek yogurt for the sour cream. I added the shredded cheese {about a cup} to the whole shebang and baked it at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, then broiled for 3 minutes to crisp the top.  

Slow Cooker Asian Pork w/ Snow Peas & Peppers
courtesy of Real Simple
Crockpot Pork Stir-fry #wfd
Winner winner, crockpot pork dinner!  This was fabulous... although it's another one of those slowcooker recipes that would have turned into a dry disaster had I not been home to notice that the cook time in the instructions was waaaaay too long.  I halved the recipe {perhaps that had something to do with it} and only needed to cook on Low for 5.5 hours instead of 7-8.  I used rice noodles instead of soba.  

Roasted Garbanzo, Steak & Avocado Salad
Roasted Chickpea, Steak & Avocado Salad #wfd
This is modification of a recipe I dreamed up a while back... and we liked this version even better!  Definitely a new favorite! 

Ingredients
- 1 lb. top sirloin or filet 
- 2 T. EVOO, divided
- salt, pepper
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 t. cumin
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 t. coriander 
- 1 avocado, diced 
- 1/3 c. mustard vinaigrette dressing {recipe below}

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Toss garbanzos with 1 T. EVOO and spices.  Roast for 25 minutes on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, turning halfway through.  Meanwhile, rub steak with remaining tablespoon of EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Pop into oven with with garbanzos during the last 8-10 minutes of cook time, flipping after 4-5 minutes.  Cut steak into bite-sized pieces.  

In a mixing bowl, combine roasted garbanzos, diced avocado, and steak.  Toss with dressing and serve warm.  The remainder of the dressing will keep for up to a week in a mason jar in the fridge. 

Mustard Vinaigrette Dressing: Whisk together the following ingredients: 
- 1/4 c. whole grain mustard
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil {I used sunflower}
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar 
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. sugar

Hamburgers w/ Roasted Potatoes & "The Yummy" Salad
Hamburgesas! #wfd
Last night, E manned the grill and treated me to a delicious hamburger supper... he even whipped up some roasted taters and my favorite salad -- L and I were impressed!  "The Yummy" Salad is spinach, strawberries, and avocado tossed with the mustard vinaigrette dressing above.  It's the absolute best!  
...while Serious Face bounces on
Serious Face considers the dinner table from her bouncer.

4 comments:

  1. That crock pot meal looks really good. I feel like lately most of my crock pot stuff has been drying out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The slower cooker meal looks AMAZING. Must add that to my list of "must makes!"

    Happy Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so cute. Looks so much like both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we talk about how you still come up with and cook these AMAZING meals? Super mom.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!