Sunday, May 6, 2012

Menu Sunday

We've had a delightful weekend with T-Pop and GranJan...

{Day 4} #Fun! with GranJan #mayphotoaday
Favorite Babysitter

Grandparents are just the tops, aren't they?  We're looking forward to seeing them again next weekend for Mother's Day in Waco! 

Now... onward with last week's eats! 

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas #wfd
After enjoying Sweet Potato Chile Mac a few weeks ago, I've been dreaming up other ways to get my sweet potato on in a non-traditional sense.  This recipe is the result of a big ol' kitchen Hail Mary that just so happened to turn out in my favor!  

Ingredients
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, skinned
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, finely diced 
- 2 cloves garlic, minced 
- 2 medium peppers {like Hatch or poblano}, roasted & chopped {or one can diced green chiles}
- 2 T. EVOO, divided
- 1/2 T. kosher salt 
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 c. shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
- 2 c. red enchilada sauce {make your own or I like Rick Bayless' Frontera Red Chile Enchilada Sauce - you'll need 2 of those if you go that direction}

Preheat oven to 450.  Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave on high for 6 minutes, turning after 3.  Remove potatoes, chop into one-inch cubes, sprinkle with 1 T. EVOO and kosher salt, and roast on a cookie sheet in the oven for 25-30 minutes.  Remove potatoes and decrease oven temperature to 350. 

Meanwhile, heat remaining EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add garlic and onion, sauteing until soft and fragrant - about 4 minutes.  Stir in chile peppers, and then black beans. Remove to a mixing bowl.  

In a food processor or blender, puree sweet potatoes with a bit of kosher salt and 1 c. of cheese.  Add puree to mixing bowl with black bean mixure and stir just to combine.  Spritz a rectangular baking dish with EVOO.  Warm tortillas.. I've found that nuking 3 or 4 at a time in a damp paper towel for about 15 seconds gets them the perfect temperature.  Spoon mixture into tortillas, roll, and place seam side down in baking dish.  Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas and then sprinkle with cheese.  Bake for 25 minutes. 

Roasted Turkey Breast w/ Brussels & Cous Cous
Roasted Turkey Breast, Brussels, & Pinenut Cous Cous #wfd
Do y'all ever pick up roasted turkey breasts from the market deli?  It's like a teensy-tinsy delicious piece of Thanksgiving delivered straight to your belly with only teensy-tinsy effort.  I served mine with roasted brussels sprouts and toasted pine nut cous cous {courtesy of Near East}.  

Lemon Gnocchi with Spinach & Peas
{courtesy of Gourmet}
Lemon Gnocchi with Spinach & Peas #wfd
Hellz. Yes.  Do this.  Immediately.  Or sooner.  

Turkey & Zucchini Quinoa Cups
{adapted from Iowa Girl Eats}
Turkey & Zucchini Quinoa Cups #wfd
This is one of those clean-out-the-fridge recipes that's nearly impossible to screw up.  Much like my beloved quiche, I start with a base recipe and add whatever I have on hand {this round it was roasted turkey breast and zucchini with cheddar and parmesan mixed with red quinoa}...

- 3 c. cooked quinoa {1 c. dry + 2 c. chicken broth - see directions here}
- 1 c. veggies
- 1 c. protein 
- 1 c. cheese 
- 4 eggs 
- salt, pepper, whatever seasonings mesh well with your ingredients 

Spoon into muffin tins spritzed with EVOO and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Makes 12 cups.  

Chicken & Mustard Sauce with Roasted Carrots & Rice Pilaf
{chicken recipe here}
Result of Good Things #wfd
Another ol' reliable recipe that feels sinfully gourmet without any fuss.  Also... My #1 Favorite Way to Use Up Leftover Cream.  

5 comments:

  1. I am entirely jealous of your fantastic cooking abilities. Can I come eat at your house? I'll babysit!

    I can bake, but cooking just goes right over my head... I literally get nervous even thinking about trying to cook a meal. My poor boyfriend - it's a good thing he knows how to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipes looks amazing, as always. I am not trying to be insincerely and saccharine-ly complimentary when I say: I just don't know how you put a delectable home cooked (or quasi home cooked) meal on the table every flippin' night with a baby, a dog, etc. etc. I don't have any kids yet and I am struggling to make a wholesome hot dinner 2 -3 nights a week w/ a job and puppy, etc. This seems super nosey, but I'd love to hear how your daily routine plays out and when you have time to prep food, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely do a "day in the life" type post, but I think the main thing is that I just happen to LOVE cooking - its relaxing for me and so I definitely make the time for it... if I had the same passion for exercise, I'd probably be happier with this summer's swimsuit choices :)

      I have had to adapt now that L is here though - my weekday recipes are either much simpler / quicker (those enchiladas were a Sunday night endeavor while E helped in the kitchen and with the baby) or can be easily prepped during naptime (example: I shredded the cheese, chopped the zucchini, and diced the turkey for the quinoa cups during L's morning nap... all I had to do that night was make the quinoa, mix everything together w/ the eggs, and bake).

      It also helps that I have a baby who is a pretty decent napper and who is content to either hang out on her play mat or in the Moby while I cook in the evenings... many of our dinners are thanks to the convenience of baby-wearing!

      Delete
  3. Love your recipes-I'm hooked on Iowa Girl Eats' quinoa cups too-I'm on a kick making them with feta and pureed frozen spinach. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to this post all week! I saw your instagram pic of the gnocchi last week! When I realized I had all the ingredients, minus the gnocchi, I made it Wednesday and AGAIN on Thursday..so my boyfriend would survive while I was out of town all weekend, ha! It was SO SO SO good! Definitely on the rotation!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!