Thursday, June 21, 2012

Game of Thrones; Broken Glass; The Most Annoying Character on Television Ever

I have officially replaced Lost with Game of Thrones. Did I mention I finished Lost? I can't recall... Anyhoo, I did. It took a year and a house flood and pregnancy fatigue to fully commit and power through, but I crossed the finish line. And I loved the finale. L-O-V-E-D. I hear a lot of folks didn't? What's up with that? If you just weren't that into the finale, I'd love to know why... How would you have wanted it to end? Leave me a little plot summary in the comments. Seriously... DISCUSS!

Back to G.O.T... I'm diggin' it... despite all the incest. And by "incest," I mean both actual diddling of a sibling and inappropriate brother/sister touching. I'm lookin' at you, creepy-ass, bad-bleach-job dude. I think my biggest issue with the show is that I hate too many people. As in, too many people are going to have to have their heads lopped off in spectacular fashion to truly please me... which I'm assuming isn't going to happen since that would leave only the drunk dwarf, the saucy tomboy girl, the main dude, and the badass wolf puppies. Well, and maybe the creepy-ass, bad-bleach-job dude's overzealously highlighted sister... if she grows a pair soon.  Soooo... probably not going to happen, right?

I will tell you {don't be mad}, I picked Game of Thrones over Breaking Bad. It's not that Breaking Bad is too dark for me... but it's just TOO DARK for me. As in, not-the-subject-matter-but-the-set. I felt like I squinted nonstop through both of the first two episodes. I understand meth can't be cooked outside on a balmy sunny day, but, Jesus, at least brighten up some of the interiors with a nice eggshell baseboard or something. I'm planning to return to B.B. after I exhaust all the HBOGo Fun I'm having. Hopefully, Breaking Bad won't end up like mushrooms or sashimi... something you would think I'd love, but I inexplicably happen to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like to say that a party isn't successful unless at least one piece of your nice-ish barware ends up in shards on the floor. If that's the case, I've been having quite the solo fiesta this last week. Twice I've broken a white wine glass... before even pouring a drop of wine into it {AT LEAST THE WINE IS SAFE}. Odd, as I've never been one to have the dropsies. Ask my dad. Apparently I never spilled anything at the dinner table as a child. He will tell you this if you happen to be eating supper with us, and I happen to have a Spaz Moment.

He will also tell you he feared I had no soul as a wee tot since I never, ever cried at sad movies or books.  So I guess we should all be thankful that, as an adult, I can't even think about Marley & Me without crying so hard I puke. 

ANYHOO, I'm going to blame the naps for these recent stemware mishaps. The naps are always to blame.

{"Naps" = NO DECENT NAPS IN THE CRIB NOT EVEN ONE}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whenever I have a first world, "woe is me" moment {"I am annoyed the housekeeper is here because it means I have to put on pants}, I think of this little gem and feel instantly humbled.

Untitled

Oh Penis Head.  You're always good for some perspective. 

18 comments:

  1. The one about the Domino's Pizza Tracker gets me every time. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited you're watching GOT!!! I can't wait to hear your take on it. I was immensely disgusted at the incest in the beginning - but it gets better. It also gets worse. So you know.

    The "first world problems" had me laughing pretty hard, as did the thought of you as a wee tyke pondering your soul.

    Speaking of first world problems, I can't find that wine you got me hooked on last summer....is there a shortage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that both you and Maggie are on the GoT bandwagon! I have to say, whenever an episode ends on a cliffhanger with a child in peril, I turn to my bf (who's read the books) and demand to know if said child survives or I will never watch it again. Now I'm reading the books to get caught up until season three comes out next YEAR (!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate. Longtime reader first time commenter. You should read the Game of Thrones books. The author has no trouble killing off popular/main characters. So hang in there the annoying ones might be going away after all. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I watched the first season of GOT and I wanted to like it but I was so put off by the completely gratuitous sex/violence/incest that I couldn't even take it seriously (Peter Dinklage notwithstanding, he is a treasure). And I'm no prude, some of my favorite shows are brimming with filth, but a lot of those scenes seemed completely unnecessary to me. Did not serve the story line and seemed more like a dirty bird's chance to see what he could get away with on HBO. Have you seen that SNL digital short about GOT - nailed it. Breaking Bad is far far superior, no question. Plus, you get hooked on the show much like the crank addicts that you're watching onscreen. Win-win, without actual drug addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked the LOST finale too! I really liked it, but when it aired everyone acted all annoyed about it. And I was like "Hellooo?! Were you expecting them to pull some crazy science-based explanation out of their butts?" I think they did the best they could with the plot points that they had set up in the later seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL- I am currently watching Dawson's Creek as I missed it in it's hey-day! Dawson slays me. I 'm officially team Pacey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED the Lost finale and I watched from Day 1. I was just so happy that everyone ended up in a good place, despite all the crazy things and horrible deaths. It was great.

    And, oh my, the bit about Dawson and first world problems... dying. But hooray for Dawson's Creek on Netflix to take me back to my high school days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just watched the whole Lost series from start to finish in about 3 months (talk about major withdraws now that I'm finished.) I wasn't a huge fan of the finale until I got to google it and talk to my husband a bit. I think I was expecting to feel some closure and instead I felt sad. I was so surprised the finale made me cry!!

    I just think my issue was maybe seeing that they were all dead? And they were happy about it? Still not sure obviously haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kate - I just stumbled across your blog, and it is great! Hope you and your adorable baby girl are doing well. I loved the LOST finale as well. Check out my friend's blog about LOST (http://thedharmablog.blogspot.com/). I think he does a great job of analyzing all the episodes. Also, definitely keep watching GOT..it is great, and the "bleach-job dude's overzealously highlighted sister" definitely grows a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, just you wait on GoT - they have no problem killing pretty much anyone off, so you may get your wish after all! It's the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha love the First World Problems thing, I remind myself of that all the time when I'm complaining about stupid things. I had to remind my parents of this last weekend when they were complaining about their housekeeper putting the cleaning supplies in the "wrong" spot (which was actually putting them away where they belong instead of their normal spot of on top of the washer or dryer).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still think about the Lost finale. I agree with the other Kate-they did the best that they could with what they had. There was no easy way to sum up everything/have answers for all of the billions of questions. The show (for me) was about the characters and I was glad the finale focused on them.

    I saw the Beek in person last week and in his speech he talked about how Dawson crying is one of the most popular web searches when you enter his name. That face he makes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there! This provides me with hours of enjoyment! http://whitewhine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Game of Thrones....the show is amusing, but read the books! Insanely long, incredibly detailed, terribly wordy, and oh-so-good. Like all good books, there is so much more going on, and the man with the crazy mind that creates it all isnt even. done. yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to have babies with Tyrion Lannister. Not with Peter Dinkledge in real life, as he is married and I think has his own babies. I want Lannister babies that will one day rule the 7 kingdoms. Winter is coming.

    This is probably why I am single.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't hear the TV while I am eating crunchy snacks - oh how many times I have been truly annoyed by this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actively keep a list of people who must die on GoT. Totally healthy.

    I own Breaking Bad, but am far too lazy to actually open it and put it in the player. Now that I know it's dark (and I'm elderly), it's been pushed back in the queue. First World Problems, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!