Tuesday, July 10, 2012

L's Nursery

This post is a loooooong time coming.

Por que?

Mostly porque I'm lazy.  Also: slightly OCD.  

{Two qualities that don't normally go hand-and-hand, but, what can I say, I live on the wild side.}

Lazy because I've had "coerce E to drag the glider upstairs" on my to-do list for about 5 weeks now.   OCD because there are a million little things I still want to add to the space, and wasn't keen on sharing it until those tweaks were completed. 

BUT! We finally got that glider in its proper place... and I knew if I waited to post the nursery until I'd finished my umpteen craft ideas, it would be 2030, and we'd also be discussing how to decorate L's dorm room. 

So. WOO HOO NURSERY HERE WE GO. 

A few notes... I'd been dreaming of nursery designs for a while before we found out we were expecting.  Boy or girl, I knew I wanted two things for sure: {1} a bright turquoise room and {2} a white Jenny Lind crib.  As "luck" would have it, our house flooded when I was 7 weeks pregnant, and we were able to have the nursery painted "for free" during the restoration.  The space is pretty large {although oddly shaped}, so we decided to keep the queen bed already residing in the room, as well as the present linens.  Going with a more eclectic, collected style, I sought out fabrics and decor that coordinated but wasn't matchy-matchy.  I wanted L's room to be girly, but not traditionally so... and I wanted to be sure to incorporate items that were meaningful to us as a family.  

Untitled

Also: Getting a good shot of the entire room is nearly impossible, thanks to it's Oklahoma-like shape. The best overall photo I have is the lame-o iPhone one above.  Apologies.

Going clockwise around the room, beginning with the bed that is situated immediately to the left as you walk in...

IMG_0882
IMG_0883
IMG_0866
{Future Projects... (a) select rug for center of the room...}
IMG_0865
IMG_0870
IMG_0879
IMG_0868
IMG_0867
IMG_0869
IMG_0862
IMG_0863
{... (b) hang pink teddy bear birth stats print, (c) paint canvas with
Angel Eyes lyrics to add to this space, (d) order newborn photo for silver frame...}
IMG_0859
IMG_0871
{...(e) hang floral chevron painting...}
IMG_0860
IMG_0880
{...(f) print photographs to replace temporary prints and wrapping paper...}
IMG_0858
IMG_0857
{...(g) replace ultrasoun photo with birth announcement.}
IMG_0856

And there you have it!  I think {I hope} I achieved my initial decorating goals.  Probably not magazine-worthy, but it's such a happy space... I hope one day L loves it as much as I do! 


Source list coming tomorrow. 

28 comments:

  1. gorgeous job, kate! just as i pictured!

    ReplyDelete
  2. L's nursery looks amazing! I love your description of it being girly, but not traditionally so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! Instead of doing a whole turquoise room, we decided just to roll with an accent wall since we'll be moving within the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just love it! Such a beautiful and cheerful nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen nothing like it - looks amazing! Love those curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with this nursery! I've never seen another like it, and I love how it's just so...you, and everything is meaningful to you instead of the usual character or color theme. L has a super cool mama. Fantastic job, both on the gorgeous baby and sweet digs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! And, now I feel the need to order a birth stats print for my guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gah, I LOVE IT! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is perfect. Lots of bright cheeriness but not overwhelming, perfect amount of things to proclaim it's a girl's room, and lovely touches of family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! It's SO nice to see a nursery that isn't so theme-y or overly baby-fied. It's a sweet room that she can totally grow with. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tissue flowers - adds just the right amount of South Texas flair!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay for happy, colorful spaces!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful! You chose a great color for the wall and I love all the fun colors and prints.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect nursery for such a sweet baby girl! I was wondering if you were planning a post on losing the baby weight? My little guy is exactly 2 months younger than L and I would love to hear how another new mom is doing it. I gained 45 lbs and still have about 15 left to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks so cheerful and bright! i love happy colorful nurseries like L's!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate - it's beautiful!! You did a great job. And I love the shape of the room - it reminds me so much of my childhood room which had tons of nooks and little special places.

    Also, eagerly awaiting the source list since "Into the Mystic" is a very special song to my husband and me....hope you don't mind if I copy you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. absolutely adorable and perfect! can't wait for the source list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! Especially love the Van Morrison lyrics...did you make that or buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love everything about this. Can you please come decorate my house?

    ReplyDelete
  21. So beautiful! Fun and colorful and perfect for your sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this nursery! So fun and bright and perfect for sweet L! Good job Mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this and am totally using as inspiration for mine (we have the same Ikea bed in our guestroom, so it works nicely). Wanted to ask, how did the Ikea dresser work out as a changing table? Do you recommend? Might want to do the same thing given our tight space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works really well -- how tall are you? I'm 5'9 and it is right under boob-height, so I think it might be a little cumbersome for anyone much shorter! We actually change the majority of diapers on a desk in the office (we use the changing pad that came with our PNP) just because we're downstairs so often, but I'm glad we have the one upstairs too!

      Delete
  24. I'm 5'6", so it shouldn't be a problem. That being said, G doesn't really want to buy a new dresser so we may just end up using an old wine rack thing (that is the same height and width as a dresser) as a makeshift changing table (and sub out the wine racks for baskets). Klassy.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!