Sunday, August 26, 2012

Menu Sunday: Hatchtastic v2.0

Hatch Fest rages on in our home... and we're loving every minute!  

I've had oodles of folks send Hatch recipes and tidbits my way... Consider me giddy that my mug pops into your head when you hear "Hatch!"  If this is my Mini, Interwebby Legacy, I'll die a happy lady.  

Now, on with chiles...

Hatch "Popper" Chicken with Spanish Rice
chicken inspired by Skinny Taste
"Hatch Popper" Chicken with Spanish Rice #wfd
Definitely a new favorite!  I used Gina's recipe as a jumping off point, but the resulting dish was definitely different than the original.  Modifications: I used two chicken cutlets and stuffed them with the following mixture: 2 hot roasted Hatches {diced}, 3 oz. whipped cream cheese, 1/3c. extra sharp cheddar cheese {shredded}, and two scallions {dark and light green parts, sliced thinly}.  Roll 'em all up, secure with a toothpick, and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes {on parchment paper}.  The rice is Near East brand with a cup of frozen corn thrown in during the last 10 minutes of cook time. 

Roasted Corn, Hatch, & Tomato Pizza on No-Knead Crust
inspired by Joy the Baker
Roasted Corn, Tomato, & Hatch Pizza w/ No-Knead Crust #wfd
(a) This crust has officially replaced The Pioneer Woman's as my favorite pizza crust -- SO easy and delicious!  (b) Um. Yum.  All-Around YUM.  Modifications: The only tweak I made to the crust is I used all-purpose flour instead of bread flour as I was bread-flour-less.  For the pizza... I roasted the Hatches, 2 ears of corn, and a pint and a half of tomatoes.  Then, in my food processor, I pulsed together 2/3 of the tomatoes, 2 cloves of garlic, and Italian seasonings to make sauce for the pizza.  I topped the crust with the sauce, roasted veggies, and about 4 oz of fresh mozzarella.  The whole shebang was baked at 450 for 18 minutes.  Pure Awesomeness ensued. 

Chicken Enchilada Zucchini Boats
adapted from Skinny Taste
Photo: Fail... Mealtime: WIN!  I miiiiiiiiight like them better than the original, although, just like my Heritage cardigans, it's hard to pick a favorite.  Modifications: For two people {four boats}, I made the following changes: 

- Rick Bayless Frontera Red Enchilada Sauce
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large zucchini, hollowed out and meat finely diced
- 1 large shallot 
- 2 roasted Hatch peppers, destemmed and diced
- 1/2 t. chile powder
- 1 t. cumin
- EVOO
- shredded cheese to top dish 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour 1/4 c. enchilada sauce into a small baking dish.  Place hollowed out zucchini in dish and set aside. 

In a large saute pan, heat a bit of EVOO and add chicken. After a few minutes, add zucchini "meat," shallots, and spices. Saute until chicken is cooked through and veggies are soft. Stir in remaining enchilada sauce.  Stuff boats with chicken mixture and top with cheese.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes. 

Hatch Chicken Sausage + Broccoli Quinoa Cups
I forgot to spray my muffin tin with olive oil, so my cups turned out ugly {but delicious}... However, they looked much like these: 
Untitled
One of our top two "clean out the fridge" staples... {adaptable recipe here}... this go'round included Hot Hatch Chicken Sausage from Central Market, broccoli, and extra sharp cheddar.  Good times, boys, girls, and terriers. 

Did you cook with Hatches this week?

7 comments:

  1. That last picture....hilarious! The Boom looks like she really wanted some hatches!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cook with hatches every week. #NewMexicoProblems.

    We had green chile stew tonight. I can totally send you the recipe if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely any time I see or hear Hatch I think of you. Without fail:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been on a perfect-pizza-crust mission for months now -- this is going straight to the test kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love some hatches in this house. Cost-CO has them in the frozen aisle here in Colorado so we stock up in the winter when they are out of season. Last week we made enchiladas with them, hamburgers and green chili yesterday. Yummo! I can't wait to try some of your recipes when it gets cooler here. Too hot to bake still and we don't have A/C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are my Hatch Mentor. Bill made Chile Verde with Hatches on Sunday and I'm already dying for him to make it again. SO AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those broccoli quinoa cups look sooooo good! Can you come over and cook for me? You always post the best looking meals! If you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest posts!

    Peacelovedecor.com

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!