Monday, October 15, 2012

Menu Monday

We had a pretty all-star weekend... except for that football incident on Saturday that we're all trying real hard to erase from memory.

FLETCHER'S, BABY. #hookem
At least there was Fletcher's and beer.

Gridiron Heartbreak aside, we enjoyed loads of pumpkin-patching, Chihuly-ing, and general familial bonding.  Gratuitous Seasonal Photography headed your way tomorrow... Prepare yourselves. 

But for now... last week's menu! 

{I feel compelled to exclaim I am particularly embarrassed of my food "photography" - if you can call it that - this week.  Talk about aiming low.}

Lightened Up Butternut Squash Mac
adapted from How Sweet It Is
Lighter Butternut Squash Mac #wfd #latergram
GOOD. A close third to my mac-n-cheese homies Rosemary Pumpkin and Hatch...  and much friendlier on the calorie counting!  Modifications: I roasted the cubed squash and then pureed it in my food processor with the chicken broth instead of cooking - and then mashing - it in the skillet. I axed the brown butter for even better nutrition stats. 

Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Grilled Chicken Fajitas w/ Avocado, Shallots, & Extra Sharp Cheese #wfd
EASY.  It doesn't get much simpler than grilling pre-marinaded chicken tenders.  Slap those suckers in a whole wheat tortilla, add some fresh avocado and shallot, grate some extra sharp Tillamook on top, and call it a night! 

Mama's "Best Easy" Chili
Mama's Chili #wfd
FAVORITE... chili recipe in the world, that is!  Per Jan's instructions, you will need...
- 1.5 - 2 lbs of ground beef {I use 96% lean}
- 1 large onion, finely diced 
- 14.5 oz diced or crushed tomatoes {fire roasted, if you can find them}
- 14.5 oz water {just fill up the can}
- 1 T. cumin
- 2-4 T. chili powder {I use 4}
- 14.5 oz Ranch style beans {with liquid}

In a large pot, crumble beef, browning with onion over medium-high heat.  If you are using meat with a higher fat content, drain off excess grease.  Add tomatoes, water, and spices. Bring to a boil, then cover and  adjust heat to low. Simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours.  Note: Mi madre simmers for 45 min to an hour, then thickens with a flour & water slurry.  I just simmer longer.  Pick your poison.  Add beans with liquid and simmer for 15 minutes longer.  Serve alone or with tamales or cornbread. 

6 comments:

  1. Not quite chili weather here yet, I am afraid.

    So sad about the game, BUT please share where your darling Mexican dress? Top? that you are wearing in the first photo is from! I want that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a dress! I bought it from an eBay seller a few years ago - I'll try and hunt down the sell we'd name!

      Delete
  2. I've bookmarked the chili recipe for when Houston finally dips below 80 (we're not picky here....)

    I'm interested in your burnt orange mexican dress, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making that squash mac tonight. I bit the bullet and went with the whole cutting up, peeling, roasting the squash from scratch. I don't have fontina cheese or fresh herbs, but I'll make due with what I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. It was amazing. I don't know how to insert a picture into a comment, but you need to see this. I'm emailing it to you.

      Delete

happy little comments!