Sunday, January 27, 2013

Curried Basil Chicken & Israeli Cous Cous with Spinach & Peppers

For the past 3 weeks, I've sat down to hammer out a Menu Sunday, only to realize I've been either (a) cooking recipes I've posted a zillion times or (b) getting jiggy with the The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook.

The former makes for a snooze worthy menu post, and the latter isn't all that beneficial to y'all since the SK recipes can't be found online because Deb is, ya know, trying to sell a cookbook, and I'm not going to be that asshole who types them all out.  I will say that this cookbook instantly became one of my very favorites, and every single recipe {corn risotto stuffed poblanos; kale and swiss wild rice gratin; quick pizza dough; artichoke stuffed shells; cauliflower gratin; mustardy chicken milanese... and more I can't think of off without getting off the couch, which... no} I've made from it is uh-mah-zing.  So fork over your twenty-five bones and get ready to be jazzed.  

ANYHOO.  

I did make a new dish last week that was ridiculously easy and super, super delicious.  

curry 3

And I found it on the back of the Near East box.  I'm not prone to giving back-of-the-box recipes a shot -- maybe because a lot of them seem like an afterthought, or perhaps I'm just somewhat of a recipe snot -- but this one caught my eye, and I'm quite glad I gave it a go!  

The original recipe likely tastes a bit more Thai-inspired with red curry powder, but I threw caution to the wind and used yellow curry that I had on hand.  The result is definitely more on the Indian side of Asian, although E - who thinks he hates Indian food - enjoyed this. So... do with that what you will. 

curry
per usual, apologies for the horrendous food photography

Curried Basil Chicken & Israeli Cous Cous with Spinach & Peppers
modified from Near East

- 1 box Near East pearled cous cous - basil & herb flavor
- 2 T. EVOO
- 1 lb chicken breasts, pounded thin and cut into strips
- 2 bell peppers (I used a red and a yellow), stems, veins, and seeds removed & cut into strips
- 2 & 1/4 c. chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder 
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 4 big handfuls of fresh spinach, washed well
- pinch of salt 

In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium high and saute chicken and bell peppers until chicken is just cooked through.  Remove chicken and peppers and reserve. 

Add chicken stock to pan and bring to a boil.  Add cous cous and spice packet and stir thoroughly.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 7-8 minutes.  

Add coconut milk and curry, stirring well.  Add chicken and peppers and spinach.  Continue simmering for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.  

Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.  Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

happy little comments!