Sunday, March 17, 2013

Menu Sunday

Prior to publishing my Napa Recaps, E informed me that I'd been majorly slacking on the blog post front, adding "you haven't even done one of those boring cooking posts."

Touche.

Nothing if not a sassy husband-pleaser people-pleaser, I give you One of Those Boring Cooking Posts.

Southwestern Falafel + Avocado Corn Salsa
falafel modified from Cooking Light
Southwestern Falafel with Corn Avocado Salsa #wfd
So tasty... the falafel is a fun twist, but the salsa really makes this a standout meal. Modifications on Falafel:  I think the ingredients stick together better if you pulse them in a food processor and use a whole egg.  I also made my patties much smaller - I think I had nine total.  To make corn salsa: in a salad bowl, mix together 8 oz corn {dethawed from frozen or grilled / roasted fresh}, 1/2 pint halved cherry tomatoes, 1/2 finely diced red onion, and 2 T. finely chopped cilantro.  Separately, whisk together 2 T. olive oil and 1 T. fresh lime juice {or champagne vinaigrette}. Pour dressing over veggies and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Immediately prior to serving, add one finely diced avocado. 

Crock Pot Sesame Honey Chicken with Broccoli
courtesy of Skinny Taste
 Crockpot Sesame Honey Chicken (via Skinnytaste) with Broccoli #wfd
I thought this was a pretty solid slow cooker meal.  It doesn't have a long cook time though, so it wouldn't be the easiest to throw together before a full work day unless your crock pot has a delay option.  The leftovers were better the next day.  Speaking of...

Cabbage Wraps with Roasted Carrots
Leftover Facelift... Lettuce {Cabbage} Wraps with Roasted Carrots #wfd
We liked these better than the original meal!  I just reheated the chicken on the stove with a tiny bit of water, diced some fresh green onions, and added some chopped peanuts on top.  

Crustless Spinach & Feta Pie with Roasted Squash Sticks
pie courtesy of Skinny Taste
Crustless Spinach Pie w/ Roasted Squash
I am officially obsessed with this recipe {and L will take down an entire fourth!} - I would make it every week if E liked it as much as I do {sad face, he does not}.  It tastes just like spanikopita, but without the carby-pastry {which, really, you don't even miss... and I'm not just saying that because usually I want to throat punch folks who say such things... this is not a Throat Punch Situation - trust}.  The fresh dill is essential - definitely don't skip it!  Modifications: I left out the parsley and Parmesan.  I used full fat feta.  And, I take the veggies and the milk / eggs / flour mixture and stir them together before pouring the whole shebang into the pie pan.  ST says to layer the latter on top of the former... um, yeah, that just makes it come out of the oven an upside-down crust-on-the-top pie.  Confusing.  If you mix it all together, it looks like the photograph. 

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Spicy Chicken Sausage & Spinach #wfd #badfoodphotography #latergram
I'm pretty proud of this one... maybe my favorite stuffed pepper combo to date! 

Ingredients
- 4 large bell peppers - stems, seeds, and veins removed
- 6 oz hot Italian turkey or chicken sausage 
- 2 shallots, diced 
- 1 container of fresh baby spinach, damp from rinsing 
- 1 c. dry quinoa - cooked according to package directions, substituting chicken stock for water
- 2 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded 
- salt and pepper to taste 
- water

Preheat oven to 350. 

In a large skillet, brown and crumble sausage, using a tiny bit of olive oil if the sausage itself doesn't render enough fat to cook.  Add shallots; stir often.  When sausage is nearly cooked through, add spinach, reduce heat to Medium Low and cover for 2 minutes.  Remove lid and stir until spinach is wilted and the majority of the liquid evaporates.  Add sausage & spinach mixture to a mixing bowl.  Fold in cooked quinoa and cheese.   Salt and pepper to taste. 

Stuff peppers with quinoa mixture and place in baking dish.  Pour water in the bottom of dish, filling it to about 1/4 of an inch.  Cook for about 30-35 minutes, until insides are bubbling and peppers are soft. 

7 comments:

  1. I need to take a page from your book and make some healthier dinners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I looked as good as you do, I'd've making Beyonce Booty Shake Chicken every night. Sadly, I have 30 lbs I still want to lose - blerg! Suffice to say, Evan is pretty bummed I'm dieting.

      Delete
  2. I am highly intrigued by the crockpot honey sesame chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! And no matter what E says, I look forward to these posts :) I'll definitely be making the stuffed peppers - I've been looking for a good quinoa recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this post makes me change my daily menu plan. Love the Southwestern Falafel + avocado corn salsa and quinoa stuffed peppers. Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, for one, love your "boring cooking posts." Take that, E! ;) ALSO, that spinach pie is a revelation. I have made it two weeks in a row and even G likes it. So easy, healthy & delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can come live with you, yes? And you'll force me to eat your delicious, healthy food and maybe walk around the block occasionally? Please keep the "boring" posts coming! ;)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!