Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday This & That

{1} Oh, look!  Another random conglomeration of thoughts!  Lucky y'all!

{2} We had an absolutely fantastical time in Napa!  I am majorly missing our private chiminea happy hours, daily picnic baskets of Bouchon breakfast goodies on my front doorstep, and just generally being merrily tipsy for the majority of the day. {Alkie Alert?} If L's teeth stop being such assholes, I'll have a full recap this week.

IMG_2178

{3} No matter how much I enjoyed peeing all by my lonesome for five days, nothing beats coming home to this face.  

I feel the same way about Justin's Honey Peanut Butter, kiddo

She, of course, didn't even notice we were gone and had a blast with her GranJan and T-Pop.  I swear she returned to Dallas half-grown... In a week, she learned three new words {"kitty," "cat" -- but not together -- and "tree"... note "mama" is still nowhere in the mix, little stinker} and how to go down the stairs "feet first."  She also napped like a total champ for my mom... a trend that has not continued in my presence thus far, but... que sera sera. 

{4} I've had some requests for an amber teething necklace update... Eh. It might be working?  Or maybe not?  Honestly, it's hard to tell.  It is not the magic bullet so many claim it to be {at least not for us}, but I'll say this: I haven't become so disillusioned that I've taken it off... and I hate how the thing looks, so that's saying something.  One note: Most folks say their babies don't even notice the necklace; L definitely does.  Some days she yanks on it enough that I move it to her ankle and cover it up with her leggings.  

My tiny-footed (size 2!) shoe fiend finally has a pair of her own!
Teeth, man.  I tell ya...

{5} I realized today that I have three Easter wreaths.  That seems like overkill.  To be fair, I only purchased one of them - another was a gift and the final is L's pinwheel wreath which isn't actually Eastery, more like Easterish, or - to be more precise - merely Springlike.  The pinwheels were already on our front door when I remembered the other two, but I'm entirely too lazy to switch them out for something holiday specific.  

So! I now have one properly displayed but not in-yo-face-Easter wreath along with two highly thematic, Easter Egged wreaths chillaxing on my dining room table. In all likelihood, all will remain where they are until April 1 when I put them back into storage.  My question to you is this: Can I, in good faith, claim to have "decorated" for Easter?  Would your answer be the same if I told you I also placed a single ceramic bunny next to the soap in the half-bath?  What if in that same half-bath there were Reese's Egg wrappers hidden under empty toilet paper rolls? WHAT SAY YOU, PINTEREST GENERATION?

{6} Forever on the hunt for children's books that don't make me homicidal {KAREN KATZ}, we've added Jamberry and Hippos Go Berserk to our repertoire recentlyish to rave reviews, and, I must say, I truly believe the best tales for kidlets are penned by authors who were {are?} raging partiers.  Jamberry is essentially a jolly stoner's munchy-fueled ode to jelly, and Boynton's hippos are hosting the event every high schooler dreams about whenever his or her parents have the poor sense to leave town for the weekend.  Delightful reading, I'm a-tellin' you!  

16 comments:

  1. Karen Katz is not allowed through my front door. What an evil woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I'm also going through Karen Katz overload, although my gal loves those lift a flap ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh do yo have "where's my sweetie pie"? That one isn't as bad as the Katz books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how excited she is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nephew (19 months) LOVES Lynley Dood books. Hairy Maclary and Slinky Malinki are favorites. I must admit they are pretty adorable, and I don't mind reading them to him 2 or 3 times in a row :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you read any of Todd Parr's books? He's a total Berkeley hippie and the books have bright colors and great messages about environmental responsibility and individuality. We also like the Elmer the Elephant books (but not "Elmer Takes Off", which basically encourages running away into tornados?!).
    On a totally unrelated note: would be interested to hear how the whole weaning thing is going? Did L show much interest when you returned from vacation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't seem to miss nursing at all while we were gone. I think if I were totally ready to give it up, she'd be a-okay as well - especially at bedtime. However, she will not calm down for naps for me without nursing first (if anyone else puts her down, she's fine / if I put her down w/o nursing, she screams and screams). And she's teething and waking up super early in the morning, but will snooze for another hour or so if I nurse her.

      All that is to say... We're back on the nursing train 2x a day for the time being. As it's more for comfort than anything else, I'm not doing much to protect my supply. I started this week majorly cutting calories to finally lose this pregnancy weight, so we'll see how that affects things!

      Delete
    2. I should also add - she's doing great on a cow's milk / goat's milk combo. I doubt she's getting more than 4 oz of milk from me at this point.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, if this is entirely to personal, but I'm trying to determine how to take a few days away from my 11 month old without dragging that dreaded pump with me. Did you pump while you were away? If not, were you engorged? I recently dropped one morning feeding, and it was a pretty painful few days...thanks so much! I've been scouring the interwebs, but there isn't great info I can find on weaning!

      Delete
  7. I was super anxious for that Mama, but now it has come to mean "I want. . . ". Instead of the sweet little Mama! I expected in the morning, I get MAMA! with an imperious point, usually at something she is not allowed to have (normally a diet coke or glass of wine). Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a kindergarten teacher I was always on the hunt for books that would be instant faves without driving me batty. Mo Willems has really funny books. Kids love 'em, and I find them hilarious. I also love 'Suddenly' by Colin McNaughton, anything (ANYTHING!) by Maurice Sendak, 'The Napping House' by Audrey Wood, and, of course, Dr. Seuss. She'll grow into all of these, and will love hearing them along the way:-). Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As far as the amber teething necklace...you have to get it from a reputable source to make sure it is real amber. Real amber will float in salt water, fake will sink. Also, the lighter the amber, the more potent. Unpolished is best too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, source was legit (came recommended by several friends), it floats, ours is unpolished, and the majority of her stones are the butter color (mixed w/ darker but they were sold out of solid light and I was desperate!).

      Delete
  10. I can totally emphathize with the short naps for mama. P naps for TWO AND HALF FREAKING HOURS every. single. week for our nanny. I, on the other hand, am lucky to get 45 minutes our of her. Wtf? I just tell myself it's because I am like the most fun person on the planet and she can't stand to be away from me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are very few things that are too personal for me ;) I did bring my pump and just pumped 10 min a day to relieve pressure. I still felt a bit full but nothing terrible. We were apart for 5.5 days so I think I would have been miserable w/o the pump.

      Delete
  11. Giraffes Can't Dance - Guy Parker Rees

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!