Sunday, April 7, 2013

Menu Sunday

So!

I owe y'all menus for the past two weeks.  I did fail to poorly photograph two of our meals... one isn't worth your time, and the other is basically taco meat {here's how I do mine} + this box {which, you'll note, I'm rather fond of} + 2 cups of corn + sliced avocado + a bit of shredded cheese on top.  Surprisingly delicious... a quinoa burrito bowl of sorts!  

As for the rest... 

Chicken Enchilada Zucchini Boats
adapted from Skinny Taste
Chicken Enchilada Zucchini Boats #wfd
I love all variations of these suckers.  Yummy, filling, and guilt-free -- what's not to love?  Modifications: I use Frontera Red Chile Enchilada Sauce as a time-saving alternative to making my own -- Rick Bayless doesn't fuck around so you know you're golden.  I don't add bell pepper; I find the onions + zucchini "innards" + chicken is more than enough to fill the boats.  I also don't do the whole tomato paste song and dance... I saute the onions, zucchini, and chicken, then add the enchilada sauce... stuff the boats... sprinkle a little cheese on there {1/2 cup of real effing cheese} and toss 'em in the oven to bake with about a 1/4 in of water in the bottom of the pan {I don't pre-boil the boats, either}.  

Taco Quinoa Cups with Avocado Corn Salsa
Taco Quinoa Cups with Avocado Salsa. Wish the cups turned out as well as they did in my head. #wfd #meh
Y'all. I thought these were going to be so delicious.  They were so... not.  I won't even bother you with the recipe {although that corn avocado salsa remains delectable -- definitely worth making for your next fiesta inspired meal!}... just wanted to keep it real.

Oven Fried Coconut Chicken with Brussels Salad & Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
courtesy of Skinny Taste
"Oven Fried" Coconut Chicken with Brussels Salad & Spicy Honey Mustard Dressing #wfd
I made the vinaigrette and the chicken just as the recipe states, except I used chicken cutlets instead of tenders.  Instead of salad, I sauteed a pound of shaved brussels sprouts {use your food processor on the thickest setting of the slicing blade} with 1/2 T butter and 1/2 T olive oil and a little bit of minced garlic.  This might be my new favorite way to prepare brussels! 

Spicy Honey Chicken Thighs
courtesy of Cooking Light
Untitled
Simple and tasty!  I followed the recipe exactly, except I baked the chicken at 450 {about 6 min on each side} to avoid a Smoking Oven Situation. I served the chicken with Near East Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa Blend {my new favorite boxed side by miles} and steamed broccoli.  BLW Bonus Points: L couldn't get enough of these. 

BBQ Brisket Calzones
 Untitled
E and I marked our actual wedding anniversary date with big ol' honkin' brisket calzones.  True romance, I tell y'all!  Per our standard pizza night, I used The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook's quick pizza dough stuffed with mozzarella and chopped lean brisket I'd sauteed with purple onion and BBQ sauce.  E talked about these for days. 

Asian Beef Rolls
courtesy of Cooking Light
Asian Beef Rolls, which, lets just call a spade a spade and admit I pretty much wet through an assload of prep work to serve Asian Fajitas for supper. #wfd
These were kind of an ass-whip to prep, but insanely excellent!  Definitely a new regular for the rotation.  Modifications: I used light brown sugar instead of mirin and toasted sesame oil instead of dark sesame oil for the marinade.  I also marinated the flank steak for nearly 24 hours {prepped it before I went to bed the night before}.  After rolling, I popped these guys on the grill atop a piece of heavy duty foil + parchment paper for maybe... 8 minutes, maybe?  Just watch 'em.  I served these with that same Near East Quinoa box and steamed broccoli.  More BLW Points: L is an Asian Roll fan. 

11 comments:

  1. Would you mind directing me to your original quinoa cup recipe? I think I'm going to give these babies a whirl this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go! Turkey or ham with broccoli is my favorite combo!

      Delete
    2. Um, the link would be nice.

      http://elefantitasalegres.blogspot.com/2012/05/menu-sunday.html?m=1

      Delete
    3. Seriously, this is embarrassing. Here it is not in iPhone format.

      http://elefantitasalegres.blogspot.com/2012/05/menu-sunday.html

      Delete
  2. Lovely food. I have about 3 cups of cooked quinoa in the fridge, needing a second life. I was sorry to see that yours this week weren't worth a try. Can you direct me to the original, as well? (I don't see a link above)

    By the way - my friend and I had a fabulous time in Napa. By far, your best advice is to hire a driver. It was amazing. We went to Joseph Phelps because my Dad made the reservations, Auberge du Soliel (whatever the spelling is) for a memorable lunch including roasted bone marrow on toast. The rest of the day was kind of sad - creeptastic Jarvis for an overpriced tour and oh-my-god-we've-only-been-to-two-wineries Andretti just on the way home. Meh. Overall great, though and I will be recommending hiring a driver to anyone who will listen. (our other day was sailing around the bay which was a whole 'nother fabulous experience)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I was referring to the quinoa cups in the first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See link above in reply to Rhi! I'm so gla y'all had a fabulous Napa driver experience!

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to try those zucchini boats again. I pre-cooked the zucchini the first time and definitely don't think it was necessary. Also, I need to see if my food processor can handle brussel sprouts (ours is super tiny) to make the brussel slaw. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this may seem ridiculously simple, but I'm a cooking novice trying to improve. :) What are the on how much you used of the ingredients in the BBQ Brisket Calzones? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of it but the cheese and onion were eyeballed, but I'll give it my best guesstimate! I used 1/2 a small red onion and 1/2 a ball of fresh mozzarella {not sure on the weight... it was about {baseball sized}. I probably used a 1/3 lb of chopped lean brisket (or maybe 1/2 before I trimmed the fat off the sides}. And maybe 1/4 or 1/3 c. of BBQ sauce! This is definitely not a recipe that requires exact measurements so don't be afraid to throw a little of this and a little of that in there!

      Delete

happy little comments!