Monday, May 6, 2013

menu monday

Linking up with Rachel today for two weeks worth of recipe goodness...

Plump & Sassy Chicken
"Plump & Sassy Chicken" courtesy of @sammafaye {um, MAKE THIS} with steamed broccoli & roasted red pepper quinoa blend #wfd  #latergram
Y'all.  Y'ALL.  If you have taste buds, and you'd like them to be happy, make this chicken posthaste!  Notes: I've made a lot of baked chicken roll-up variations in my day, and I've found the easiest way to bread them is to do it pre-rolling.  Dredge one side of the cutlet in flour, pat that same side in egg, and place it in the breadcrumb dish.  Then you add your "stuffing" to the "naked" side and roll up.  Using this technique, I rarely, if ever, need toothpicks to hold the roll together. 

Heirloom Tomato Frittata
courtesy of F is for Food
Heirloom Tomato Frittata #wfd
I really wish I could make a gorgeous-looking frittata.  Perhaps I should add it to my list of Nonsensical Life Goals... right behind "tap dance atop a grand piano."  In the meantime, this sucker is yummy. Notes: I have never made a frittata where I use as few eggs as the recipe calls for.  Not sure why this is... but I used 9 or 10 eggs instead of the 6 listed. 

Grilled Chicken Fajita Taco Salad
Fajita Taco Salad #wfd
One of those So Easy It's Criminal recipes I always keep in my back pocket... Marinate chicken tenders overnight in a Mexican-y concoction of your choosing {I usually go for Rick Bayless' Frontera sauces... my favorites being the red enchilada sauce, classic fajita skillet sauce, or the New Mexico taco skillet sauces}, throw 'em on the grill, and then toss with greens, black beans, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and shredded cheese {might I suggest Tillamook's smoked cheddar?}.  We save major calories by dressing this salad with salsa, making it a super healthy supper option even with the cheese and a few tortilla chips crushed on top! 

Wild Rice, Kale & Swiss Gratin
from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
Wild Rice, Kale & Swiss Gratin #wfd #smittenkitchen
I have yet to make something from the SK cookbook that I don't like... This one is E's clear favorite.  Notes: I think using straight up wild rice in this recipe makes a BIG difference, as opposed to a blend.  Wild rice is a pain in the arse to make, but the nutty flavor is worth it.  Some Wild Rice Tips from Mi Madre: Store wild rice in the freezer - as it sits, it can give off moisture and mold if kept in the pantry.  To prepare, add to a pot with water, bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat; then allow to sit for an hour.  Drain and rinse.  Return to the pot with two times the amount of chicken stock as dry rice you began with {that grammar sounds confusing... if you started off with 1 cup of rice before the Boil & Rinse, add 2 cups chicken stock at this step}.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to Low, cover, and continue to cook for 45 minutes or until all stock has been absorbed.  Remove from heat, allow to sit for 10 minutes, fluff with a fork, and serve or, ideally, make the gratin! 

Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce + Sauteed Shaved Brussels
Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce + Sautéed Brussels #wfd
Another of my very favorite super simple recipes... with bonus points for looking somewhat impressive, especially when served over shaved brussels sprouts {saute with a tiny bit of butter and olive oil + kosher salt}. 

5 comments:

  1. Your meals always look so good. I need to try making a fritatta sometime! They are delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. geeze.. these look tasty!

    http://scaifebabywatch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your frittata looks gorgeous! It is a Sophia Loren of frittatas! And glad you liked Plump and Sassy chicken- I think you would love Martha Hall Foose's cookbooks. Great tip on the breading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My frittata is blushing! And I am definitely checking out those cookbooks...I can never have enough, and anyone who describes food as plump and sassy unironically (is that a word?) in a published work is worth a gander!

      Delete
  4. I made the butter breast of chicken tonight and it was amazing! I loved the lemon and how moist the chicken was. Such a keeper! Your breading trick was genius! I referenced you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!