Monday, May 13, 2013

Menu Monday

I had a really, truly lovely Mother's Day weekend... full of treats big and small.  My People made sure I felt good and spoiled, and, most importantly, we got to leisurely enjoy each other and the beautiful weather. 

Another day, another park, another polka dotted bubble.
Talkin' 'bout my girl... (Who is, decidedly, ALL girl...two bows was not enough, apparently)

L is at the age where she has all the tools to clearly express her opinions the majority of the time, so I had the distinct pleasure of being the recipient of her "shopping endeavors."  E said he attempted to steer her in a more understated direction, but Bug wanted something a bit more flashy...

Untitled

I could not love my hot pink, leopard print, bedazzled balloon more. 

Well, perhaps I could love it more if I were allowed to touch it.  But it is wondrous to admire from afar.

And now, for the food...

Spicy Turkey & Hatch Quiche
Turkey & Hatch Chile Quiche #wfd #latergram
Busted out some of my Hatch Freezer Stash for this repertoire standard.  This time, I removed the stems and the majority of the seeds, but left on the blistered skins and food processed the chiles into a paste.  So good... is it August yet

Chicken & Asparagus in Garlic White Wine Sauce + 
Tri-Color Mini Potatoes in Whole Grain Mustard Sauce
chicken from Skinny Taste / potatoes from Ina Garten
Chicken & Asparagus with Garlic White Wine Sauce + Tri-Color Taters with Whole Grain Mustard & Shallots #wfd #soundspretentiousasshit #takendownanotchby #terriblefoodphotography
My second time making this chicken... still delicious!  And yes, I'm still eschewing the 'shrooms.  BHB's tweets about these potatoes had me swooping up these tiny taters seconds after spotting them at the market....  Y'all know I can't pass up any recipe involving mustard. 

Chicken Enchilada Zucchini Boats
modified from Skinny Taste
Boats! Always good... #enchiladastyle #skinnytaste #wfd
I took the mega easy way out and cooked chicken tenders in my slowcooker with Fronter Red Enchilada Sauce... shredded that right up with the sauce, threw in some sliced shallots and about half of the zucchini "innards," restuffed those suckers and topped with cheese.  They tasted just as good with all that short-cutting as they usually do! 

Not pictured... I whipped up a little burrito bowl action with this Crockpot Shredded Beef and Mexican Quinoa.  The beef was fine... nothing amazing.  I much prefer Pioneer Woman's Spicy Beef.  We did really like the quinoa - a great alternative to Spanish rice. 

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, gotta love a BHB shoutout :) Believe it or not, the reason I even have grainy mustard in my apt is because of your mustard cream sauce. It's changed a few lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grainy mustard = manna from heaven. I think I have to put those potatoes into next week's rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for a good stuffed zucchini recipe so I'll be adding this to my "must try" list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your Menu Monday posts and laughing because we SO have opposite tastes in food, haha. It's like a game to me - Will I want to eat anything Kate made this week? 90% of the time the answer is nope! Although I am way jealous that you at least cook for your family. About every 2 weeks I make spaghetti. ;) In fact, I am eating jelly toast as I type this comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like spaghetti! And jelly toast!

      Delete
  5. I made the zucchini boats again (2nd time now). Excellent recipe/idea. It is a good one for customizing. Also, I love the guilt-free feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kate,

    We needs a baby recipe post on what you feed your gal. My kiddo is about 1 month younger and we are running into issues with pickiness. We did a variation on BLW so she was a great eater before but she's turning her head at anything that doesn't have marinara sauce on it. I'm worried this kiddo is going to turn into a mac and cheese/spaghetti every night type of girl. any suggestions?

    : )
    Karla

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!