Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Goin' on a bear hunt...

In an effort to treat this little internet space as one of those old friends -- the kind where great expanses of time pass and you're able to pick right back up as if you'd had coffee together just last Saturday -- I won't even attempt an excuse for my absence and will just move it riiiiiiiiiight along...


So! We are in Jackson Hole!  For nearly 3 weeks! 


I meant to mention our upcoming Sojourn to Escape the Texas Heat of a Thousand Suns, but... yada yada yada we're in a long-lost-but-still-so-spiritually-connected-we-mustn't-be-restricted-by-actual-regular-communication friendship, remember? 

That's a look of pure, unadulterated bliss.   Or, yaknow, one that says DON'T FENCE ME IN, WOMAN.

ANYWHOODLE. We survived the already-dangerously-close-to-bedtime-and-then-whaddayaknowit-delayed-by-an-hour flight with minimal {but still OMG SO MORTIFYING} screaming {praise Jesus for "Mee-mo" on the iPad, raisins, and boobs} {if you would have told me 24 hours ago I'd be nursing my 16 mo old on a plane, I'd have stuck cocktail peanuts up your nose and sent you home for spewing drunken nonsense} and arrived at our condo {very nice, although a bit heavy on the Navajo/Western/dead animal skin decor} with at least 3/4ths of our sanity in tact. Not too shabby. 

This tableau is disturbing on so many levels.

Looks like the forecast for this week puts the highs a bit on the warm side but if the thermometer reads 54 degrees upon wakeup every day as it did this morning, I  will do extended series of happy dances. We've already managed to walk 5 miles this morning without dissolving into disgusting sweat puddles, and L played on two playscapes and managed to pet a dog, a horse, and {WITHOUT PARENTAL APPROVAL} a very tame prairie dog-like vermin.  Essentially, her little mind was blown into a thousand pieces, and we're only half-way through Day One. 

LET'S TOUCH THIS RAT.

Wyoming, I think we're going to get along juuuuust fiiiiiine. 

{Any Jackson Hole experts out there have good recs for us?  We like to hike and L loves her hiking pack, so we'll definitely be hitting the trails often!  Great eats - both kid-friendly and not?  My parentals will be visiting so we'll have an opportunity for some evenings out.  Other fun ideas for me + L to keep us occupied while E works?} 

{Also, apologies for wonky formatting. I had to choose between packing my laptop and MORE RAISINS, and I, very wisely, went with the latter. Although it does appear we have a Mysterious Laptop from the Era of Cher Horowitz at our disposal so perhaps you won't have to suffer through weeks of mobile posting. We shall see.}

18 comments:

  1. I am super jealous of your summer getaway to the mountains. J's big brother lived in JH for awhile a few years ago and J got to go visit. I'm still wishing I had tagged along. Have fun with the animal skins and prairie dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I'm so jealous of your trip; that's one of our favoritest places to travel. (And... the site of our upcoming babymoon! Maybe a weird choice, but we love it and we already delayed our originally scheduled trip out there due to first trimester grossness.)

    The restaurants in Jackson are definitely the best in the general area, although I always like to hang out in YNP rather than GTNP or Jackson Hole and therefore we end up in the crappier restaurants of the smaller towns north of the parks in MT. I have no stellar must-visit recs for food, but nothing was terrible. There are some fun brewery-cum-restaurant places, and husband got some good Thai (?!).

    I will be all ears to hear how baby-toting hikes go! I don't want to imagine the next few years (with wee one[s]) without trips up there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a weird choice at all! We did NYC in December which was not relaxing but SO much fun! And fear not! Outdoorsy stuff with kidlets is fabulous - we were in CO last summer when L was 5 months and it was a blast! And this trip is already shaping up fabulously.

      Delete
  3. Toddler nursing! Big fan!

    And my goodness she is turning into a kid! But you knew that:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did NOT anticipate her focusing on nursing in public long enough to settle down / fall asleep at this age, so I was wearing about the most nursing-unfriendly clothes of all time! Lesson learned!

      Delete
  4. Still laughing so hard at your nursing comment! Don't fret! If only more people knew just how easy it can make parenting at times. I'm all for the easiest!! Hope you all have great fun and enjoy the weather. If Audrey and I don't get out of the house before 8am for a morning walk, we may not go... This Tx heat is already terrible!!! So enjoy hiking and being outdoors... sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make things so easy! I just didn't figure she'd focus long enough to calm down and snooze - the joke was definitely on me!

      Delete
  5. It will be 106 today and 104 tomorrow (in ATX), so I am uber jealous of your 54 degree wakeups. We are having my son's 4th birthday party tomorrow, and I think my plan is to just turn the sprinklers on and let kids go wild out there... Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need some recs on backpacks from you. I see you use them and Julia hates to be a stroller when there are things to be seen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not going to lie - I'm totally jealous of this trip! What travel crib do you use? We're struggling to find one that will be comfy for an upcoming trip.
    asuburbanstory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owner of the condo we are renting has a basic Graco PNP. I really did not think L would sleep well in a PNP at this age (its been almost a year since she's slept in one) so the owner also gave us the name of a local rental company who has full size cribs. Surprisingly, L has slept really well in the PNP - she doesn't seem bothered by it at all!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I feel like the mattress in the PnP is so thin, how can it be comfy? I just ordered a Lotus Everywhere Crib - the mattress looks a bit thicker...but maybe I'll try to stick it out with my PnP.

      Delete
    3. Totally agree - I thought she'd sleep horribly on it! But two 11 hour nights and two 2+ hour naps...crossing my fingers it lasts!

      Delete
  8. We loved our visit to Jackson Hole! We ate at the Blue Lion (http://www.bluelionrestaurant.com), and loved the fresh flavors and good wine. I'm sure you'll make it up to Yellowstone....the wild buffalo that roam around are pretty spectacular-as is Old Faithful (and the many other geysers at the park). What we did was to drive up through the park, and loop around back through a tiny piece of Montana, and back south down through Idaho (where we had huckleberry milkshakes-YUM). I enjoyed seeing a little bit of 3 different states in one day on this trip:-). Feel free to email me if you want more info on great local watering holes/hiking spots, as we did a bunch of it. I was there at the same time of year (end of June), so assume everything I did will be open/available right now for you, too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are some really great hikes around Jenny Lake, Trapper Lake and Teton Crest Trail. Those have been some of our favorites. As for food, definitely do Trio, Sweetwater Cafe, Snake River Grill and the Cowboy Bar in Jackson. For a nice (expensive) meal, take the gondola (not the tram) up to Couloir. Also in Teton Village, try the restaurants in Hotel Terra and the Four Seasons (both are excellent). So jealous you're in my favorite city! Have a BLAST! And please post more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mountain fun! I would love to know what backpack works for you all, plus how you manage a toddler's need to get down and explore versus actually getting through the hike. We bought the small Kelty pack last year and our peanut has completely outgrown it. We took our first "real" hike of the summer yesterday, and it got tricky. The little guy really wanted to "hike," but that really meant walking in circles and poking a stick in the ground. That was fine, but the 3.5 mile hike took about 3.5 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Jenny Lake hike is fun; I've done that!

    Also, Yellowstone ='s BISON. Animals! Head on up here to YNP. I live in Bozeman, MT and can give great recommendations on restaurants and things to do in the area. Or, Livingston rodeo for 4th of July? Email me for more details!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please come back. You make me laugh and you make me think. Even if it's not super regular, I could use a little more elefantitas in my life.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!