Monday, June 3, 2013

Menu Monday

Another post about food.  

Just call me the Queen of Content. 

Or the Queen of Cutlets.  I have a bit of an affinity for them, you'll note.  They just cook so evenly.  I never fret about dry edges and still-pink middles.  But!  I'm a weenie when it comes to flattening 'em out myself... I can clean a quail, squeeze sausage from its casing, and pull the gizzard out of a turkey, but something about pounding chicken flat gives me the shakes... maybe because it feels as if I'm flinging invisible beads of salmonella baddies all over my kitchen. Thankfully, Whole Foods sells them 'em in a two-pack - with a high Animal Welfare Rating to boot!  Rejoice! 

Now that you have the run-down on my highly selective germaphobe-y issues, here's a few dishes from the past few weeks for chicken cutlets of your very own...

Pretzel Crusted Chicken with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
I think I'm making 3 recipes this week that involve veggie + chicken cutlet + sauce. #cantstopwontstop Pretzel Crusted Chicken with Honey Mustard Sauce {I LICKED THE CUISINART} + Sautéed Shaved Brussels #wfd
This was really good -- mostly thanks to the sauce.  The sauce is, in two words, fucking legit.  I'll never look for another honey-mustard vinaigrette recipe again.  The chicken had a nice crunch to it, but I think I'll try a different pretzel next time, maybe sourdough?  The ones I used just didn't lend a great pretzel flavor in the end.

Quinoa Crusted Chicken Parmesan
Oven-Baked Quinoa-Crusted Chicken Parm {I used red quinoa...I did not burn the shit out of the chicken} #wfd
A no-guilt chicken parm that's actually worth your time -- this one is a new favorite!  It's a little involved, given that you have to cook the quinoa for the breading and a homemade marinara sauce really makes the recipe {I used this one}, but the extra time and effort is worth it {or use sauce you've frozen / leftover quinoa from another meal, etc}.  Note: I used red quinoa / I did not burn the shizz out of our supper. 

Pinterest Greek Yogurt Chicken
Greek Yogurt / Parmesan Chicken + Garlic Lemon Israeli Cous Cous & Asparagus #wfd
Variations of this recipe are all over the interwebs.  For 2-3 cutlets, I use 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, 1 t. seasoning salt, 1 t. garlic powder, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.  Spread it all over your chicken and bake for 30ish minutes at 375 degrees.  Nothing too special, but the chicken is super easy, tasty, and you likely have all the ingredients on hand.  Throw some chopped asparagus in with a box of garlic Israeli cous cous, and you have yourself one speedy meal. 

Smoky Minestrone Soup with Pesto & Balsamic Drizzle
via Food52
Smokey Minestrone Soup with Basil Pesto & a Balsamic Drizzle #wfd
Proof that not everything we eat involves chicken cutlets... or sanity.  Who makes a vat of soup in Texas in late May?  ME.  Sometimes, a girl just needs soup, increased A/C bill be damned.  And this one was worth all the perspiration. Please though, whatever you do, don't skip the pesto dollop or the balsamic drizzle. Modifications: I used 2 leeks, 5 carrots, 2 zucchini, and a package of spinach / no kale, celery, or potatoes.  

Caprese Lasagna with Spicy Turkey Sausage
Caprese Lasagna #wfd #legit
This might just change your life.  Even traditional lasagna haters will rejoice - pinky swear.  Note: I used whole wheat "no bake" lasagna noodles {Target's Archer Farms brand} and made a little extra sauce to ensure they didn't come out brittle {increase the broth and milk by 1/2 each}.  I also baked the dish a bit longer {10 minutes} so the noodles could soak up the extra sauce. 

Unrelated to food or chicken cutlets: 

This is how excited L is about our matching dresses.
MATCHING EMBROIDERED MEXICAN DRESSES. 

L is clearly enthused.

10 comments:

  1. Those dresses might be the cutest thing I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard on the pounding chicken grossness. I once got a piece of chicken IN MY EYE while pounding. So awful. As a result, I now cover the chicken with Saran Wrap beefier pounding it. Way easier and less disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the recipes but the dresses are absolutely precious. Care to share the source of your purchase? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The caprese lasagna recipe - wahoo! I've been waiting for that one. You and L are too cute in your matching Mexican dresses. Me gusta!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know, I made the pretzel crusted chicken and it was SO GOOD... that lasagna looks amazing and I'm dying over you and L in your dresses! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Several notes:

    1) Those dresses. Tell me. ¿DONDE?

    2) Guessing I can swap the Greek yogurt with FF sour cream? Similar consistency, and I have it in my fridge already, so... win?

    3) Totally agree with the other commenter's note about Saran Wrap pounding (also typed Sarah Wrap at first and honestly, I don't know her, but she sounds fun)

    4) I've been such a worshipper of your mustard cream sauce, I have a whole post about it tomorrow on BHB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (1) I found these on eBay - seller is imports_oro! I've also seen them on Etsy (and, for any locals who might read this reply, at La Mariposa Imports on Henderson).

      (2) I would definitely think so with the sour cream - in most recipes, they seem to be interchangeable.

      (3) I've tried the Saran / Ziploc bag methods, and, I dunno, it still makes me feel ICKY. Like my saute pan is now infected with rabid bacteria. I AM CRAZY, I KNOW.

      (4) Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Mustard Cream Sauce!

      Delete
  7. AH! LOOOOVE the matching dresses! Sloane can only wear hers as a shirt now :(

    these pictures make me hungry and I want to try the sauce asap in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dresses are TO DIE FOR! So cute. I've had the pretzel-crusted chicken on my "To Make" list for quite some time now but your pic sealed the deal to make it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!