Friday, July 19, 2013

five on friday

I'm usually not one for linkups, but A. Liz Adventure's Five on Friday is basically a great big ol' excuse to mesh all those morsels knocking around in my head into a post of actual substance {ish}.  And without calling it a "brain dump!"  Blogging sparked a loathing in me for that title rivaling that of chevron. 




Anywhoodle... let's count 'em down!

Five.

PicFrame

While I'll forever curse the interwebs for the over-saturation of the aforementioned brain dump and ziggy-zaggy pattern-o-death {see also: sock buns and OOTD selfies taken looking downward}, I am rather grateful to, um, everyone and their mother's dog for blasting my various social media feeds with these products until I was forced to purchase and love them... I wore Old Navy's Compression Capris on every hike we took in WY, and they are amazing - flattering, comfortable, and way-way-way cheaper than their WunderUnder counterparts {my wallet and my booty thank Samma for the initial introduction}... I spotted these adorable water shoes modeled by the even-more-adorable Blaire on Melissa's IG feed, and promptly hit her up for the details {Melissa, that is... I don't think Blaire knows how to type yet}.  If those aren't the cutest damn Crocs you've ever seen, then I'll... hmmm... wear some regular-looking {re: heinous} Crocs.  Perfect for the pool, splash pad, or playing in a muddy yard.  And the infamous Target glitter sandals + Chobani Flips?  I can't even begin to remember where I first saw those floating around... but I can attest that they are legit cute / delicious {especially the Almond Coco Loco flavor!} {that would be the yogurt, not the shoes}.

Four.



E and I started watching Parks & Rec in Jackson as our post-toddler-bedtime entertainment. Technically, I am rewatching the series... It was my very favorite Late-Night Nursing Session Netflix Selection {saythatfivetimesfast} back in the day {where "the day" = last year}.  Last night, we enjoyed Tom Haverford's Food Slang Dissertation.  I strongly believe this monologue is always worth a YouTube hit. 

Three.

Speaking of Netflixed television, we also attempted to watch Arrested Development on vacation.  Everyone is constantly raving about this show, and it features some of my favorite funny peeps, so I had sky-high hopes.  We were... not impressed?  As in, did not chuckle once throughout the first 3 episodes.  I took our frustration to Facebook, where I was promptly informed we have terrible taste in TV and absolutely no sense of humor {I believe one person actually insinuated perhaps we aren't smart enough to appreciate the jokes... geesh}.  That particular status update also received a boatload of comments imploring us to "give it 5 or 6 episodes," promising "it gets funny after a while."  Seriously?  6 episodes?  Am I just an ADHD asshole or does that not seem like a pretty significant warming period?  I feel like powering through the third episode was effort enough.  Shall I be branded a traitor to my generation now?

Two.

I need your favorite toddler discipline theory book recommendations... I really like Parenting with Love & Logic {if that gives you any insight into our inclinations}, but would love to skim a few others as well.  Relatedlyish, L tends to throw things when she's finished with them {mostly cups and food, but, lately, toys on occasion as well} -- anyone else out there with a Reformed Thrower have any tips to toss {pun!} my way?  Everything I read says to take the item away... Yes, um great, except she's chucking it because she doesn't want it anymore, so taking it away just causes her to look at me like "exxxxxxxxxcellent, minion, remove that offensive sippy from my sight."  Thoughts?  


One.


this child.

Even with that rogue pitcher's arm... could not love her more if I tried. 

22 comments:

  1. I might have to get some Fry Fry Chicky Chick this weekend, just because I watched that again. He's hysterical.

    Love sparkly shoes! I've been wearing them with abandon.

    Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up with us! Now where can a gal get a pair of those water Crocs in a 7.5?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read the Love and Logic book but haven't done so yet. I have lots of friends with well behaving kids who love it. And I do frequent brain dumps? Are we still friends? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, but of course we are! It's totally the word "dump" seen over and over in my reader (well, Feedly now...SOB) that irks me -- definitely not the content of said "dumps!"

      Delete
  4. Twinkly ovaries at the BLOW KISS. Love love love. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness ... i am SO GLAD to hear you say that you aren't falling down to worship the comedy of Arrested Development. i thought i was the only person on the planet to be significantly underwhelmed. it's just ... meh.

    and what is that amazing baby carrier with a ROOF?!?! (our first baby is due in November and we just may need one of those at some point!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Deuter Kid Carrier II hiking pack and we LOVE it! We bought it at REI.

      Delete
  6. I second your meh-ness of Arrested Developement! We made it through the first half of season one and tried skipping to Season 2 to see If it'd get better. It didn't. The characters are just so unrelateable and over the top for tv. Ugh I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, L is just the cutest! And I think the crocs are cute on little babies. People our age, not so much, but L can totally rock them! I still haven't tried the Chobani Flips for fear that I will get addicted to them and right now I am probably better off just eating yogurt without the extra sugar/treat part so I don't continue to gain wait!

    And I hate the phrase brain dump as well. Along with chevron. I mentioned chevron to my mom the other night and was overheard by my brother, who thought I was talking about the gas station!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ran out of gold stars to give you in the first paragraph alone. And you KNOW how I feel about Arrested Development, so please excuse me, I'm off to buy more gold stars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You mean I'm not the only one getting empty yogurt cups thrown at my head? (Which is better than when she throws half-full ones. UGH.) My current method for coping with this behavior is to duck. If anyone shares any better advice, do let me know. I'll check out Parenting with Love & Logic, just in case her aim improves. I have "Mind in the Making" in my Amazon cart but haven't read it so I can't vouch for it. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apps and 'zerts! That youtube clip never gets old. I have never been able to get into Arrested Development, either. I mean, I will chuckle a little bit, but that's about all. I will take P&R any day over Arrested Development. I too am a fan of the Old Navy compression workout gear- the quality is surprisingly great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Noodles = long ass rice is my favorite of them all! I LOVE P&R!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are a house divided on Arrested Development. My husband loves it and insists I'm.just.not.trying.enough to like it. I gave up on it and he continues to convince me how hilarious it is. Also, that video? You all are so cute in the background. You can tell Miss. L is the center of your universe! So dang cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'm a new commenter (we went to WHS together... I was a year under you! And found your blog through other WHS peeps! So Hi!!) Anyway.. C is a few months older than L and he used to be a thrower (particularly at meal time). I realized two things a) avoiding situations instead of correcting situations worked well under 18 months old... (so instead of giving him a fork or spoon to throw, I went without utensils for a week, etc.) and b) he understood a LOT more than I gave him credit for. After explaining over and over again that we don't throw (using my stern teacher voice) he got the message. It's frustrating.. but totally normal too. So far I have really picked and chosen from a few discipline books... my fave being 123 Magic (though I don't agree with all parts). Good luck!! She's a cutie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. She has no interest in learning the term "All done?" With associated bribes? :)

    And Arrested Development, as far as I'm concerned, is great when Michael Cera is on screen and otherwise pretty routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She says DONE while flinging whatever she is finished with. I say "we don't throw" sternly at least 17x daily!

      Delete
  15. I agree with the Arrested Development thing...we actually watched 5 or 6 episodes (after being urged from similar FB fans) and did not like it. There wasn't anything that made us want to keep watching. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When she throws something hand it back and say "when you are all done you say 'all done' and hand it to momma" and then have her practice giving it to you. For a while you may have to repeat it a bunch and help her hand it to you, but eventually it should become the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it, I have you bookmarked to check out all the new stuff you post.I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: Lhasa travel packages | Beijing Sightseeing | Beijing Tourist Attractions

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just came back to this post to get your recommendation on Parenting with Love and Logic. If you haven't read NurtureShock, I'd highly recommend it! I also really liked Brain Rules for Baby, but part of it will be past where L is!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!