Friday, July 26, 2013

five on friday

Damn, Friday already, eh?

I had such good intentions to get crackin' on our Jackson Hole recaps, and it just didn't happen.  If there were an Annie tune about the optimism of next week, I'd belt it out right about now.

As there is not {and I shall definitely not be compiling my trail notes toooooooo-morrow! toooooo-morrow!}, let's do a little Five on Friday {linking up with the always lovely April!}, shall we?


Five.

Speaking of catchy show tunes, one of my favorite people ever arrives tooooo-morrow, with her equally awesome family in tow {well, actually, they arrive today, what with the obvious scheduled posting and all} for 48+ hours of debaucherous revelry / responsible family fun.  The M Family gets extra bonus points for agreeing to visit Dallas in late July... They shall be handsomely rewarded with the finest baby wading pools and double bottles of wine money can buy.  Also, Cards Against Humanity.I am especially jazzed to see those two tiny lovebird-meatloaves up there interact as toddler tornadoes! 

Four. 

Back in February, I camped out on a yoga mat in a church parking lot in a light but aggressively incessant drizzle so my child could attend a Capital Letter Good Preschool. The things we do for a weekly 10 hours of glorious child-free time our precious offspring's academic foundations. My self-respect has almost recovered.  Point being, L needs a nap mat.  Where in the world does one procure a nap mat?  I've checked Pottery Barn Kids and... meh... I dunno, I was hoping for something more... stylish?  Because if you can't project your own modern tastes on a 17 month old's daytime sleeping accessory, why bother having children in the first place? 

Three.


I read the above book this week, and I highly, highly recommend it to any "girl mom" {I officially loathe social media's proliferation of the #boymom / #girlmom hash tags, but I suppose one might actually relevant here}.  I'd outlined a few of my thoughts on the subject as a kind of virtual book report post, but quickly trashed the whole shebang as I sounded like a smug, judgy asshat.  Ain't nobody got time for that.  Let me just give a big, hearty DITTO to all that Orenstein says -- I anticipate many a frantic referral back to the much-highlighted text in the coming years {months? ugggggg}. 


Two.



Speaking of ridiculous pink things... We have officially smocked too far.  Ostriches?  With their heads in the sand?  Included in the same collection as a bubble emblazoned with protractors?  Because toddlers have thus far been lacking in church clothing that embodies their fervent love of geometry?  I'm Ron Burgundy?

One. 




Summer Diaper-Only Time is The Best Time.  The amount of money I'd pay to have that blurry shot magically become clear is likely an unreasonable sum, by the way.

TGIF, folks!

19 comments:

  1. Right there with you for the disdain for the boy mom/ girl mom titles. Do we really need to group ourselves from each other more then they already do (SAHM/WM, BF/FF)? Over it. I am curious about this book though. Love your blog and your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always read but don't often comment, but I got LC this Urban Baby nap mat last fall,and I have been very pleased with how well it washed and held up this year. http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Infant-Tot-Daycare-Planet/dp/B005O4BAJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374841986&sr=8-1&keywords=planet+nap+mat

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a preschool teacher, the number one brand of nap mat that comes through my classroom is the Wildkin Olives brand. You can find them on Amazon and they come in lots of cute patterns. I bought one for my boys and they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first picture of the munchkins is too adorbs. Yay for Cards Against Humanity. Best.game.everrrr

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as the princess thing goes, I felt the same way as you. We had NO princess stuff in our house...until my daughter went to preschool at 2 1/2. Then she started asking the questions. Just know that the phase does end. She is now 9 and seems unscathed by it all. My son went through it too (although I know the end result is different). Just remember, this too shall pass...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was a big thing in the book -- there's no way to insulate them from it unless you keep them locked in your house forever! I really liked her suggestions as to open dialog about princesses and the like as our kids muddle through the inevitable pink phase, as well as her discussion on other toys / media marketed specifically to girls!

      Delete
  6. I'm so late to the Cards Against Humanity game! I need to snatch that up.

    Okay, one thing I know NOTHING about is nap mats, but I just searched that term on Etsy and oh my word - there are some adorable ones. Check out this one:

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/151542417/dreamweaver-premium-nap-mat-attached?ref=sr_gallery_25&ga_search_query=nap+mat&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=nap+mat

    Now I need a nap mat for my 5'2" self. Oh, and the time to nap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I catch myself rolling my eyes every time I hear or see someone refer to themselves a girl mom/boy mom. I need to read that book. My MIL visited recently and it looks like a princess threw up all over the playroom. HATE. She even brought a plastic pink golf club set with a giant Disney princess sticker on the bag. What the hell do princesses have to do with golf?!?! I think my MIL issues might need their own book...

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cards Against Humanity = super win

    I keep meaning to ask, how's the cloth diapering going now that L's older?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like someone has beaten me to the punch with this advice, but I ordered Ava's nap mat on Etsy last week. Per the advice of another parent at her daycare, I ordered it from this shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MyNipNap?ref=seller_info.

    And thanks for the book recommendation...I'm definitely adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my friend Lauren owns an online boutique and she makes cute seersucker nap mats... http://www.designalatteboutique.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just audiobooked "Cinderella Ate My Daughter" too! Seriously, good shit. She touches on a lot of my fears about raising a daughter. My mother in law loves loves loves pink pink pink and it makes me CRAZY. I just sent her the book as a "this is why I'm trying to avoid overly girlie stuff." Passive aggressive? Yes. To the point? Hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I WISH I could get my MIL to read this book. We've already had to put our foot down on tons of "princess / baby street walker" clothing, and she recently bought L a Ballerina Belle Barbie...how many stereotypical girl things can we possible cram into one plastic doll??!

      Delete
  12. I picked up the book from the library the other day after your recommendation. I wish you would do a book report about it. I'm not a mom but would love to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Lady! I procured our nap mat through the great SheSheMade. After half a year of use, plus trips through the washing machine, it's still in great shape. Her monogramming is excellent quality. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these sleeping mats by Blabla (the company that makes those ridiculously expensive-but-oh-so-cute stuffed animals). These are definitely unique. I have a feeling one could make one easily if such person had a seeing machine and was a little handy. Unfortunately, that is not the case with me...maybe one day.
    http://www.coolmompicks.com/2013/06/kids-bean-bag-chairs-play-mats.php

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!