Wednesday, October 23, 2013

16 & 17 weeks

Greetings from my Writing Rut!  Forgive me as I attempt to claw myself out of this ditch, word by word...

I've been wanting to sit down and memorialize this pregnancy... I shared so much when I was carrying L, and I'd hate for this little guy to get lost in the shuffle {poor second child!}.  At the same time, I've found myself in somewhat of a funk... which I hate.  I don't want to be in a funk, and I don't want that funk to somehow translate into ungratefulness in this space, especially for this very wanted and loved {albeit, surprise!} child. 

So! Shaking off the funk {although maybe more on it later? we shall see}... and rocking on into those ol' faithful pregnancy updates.  I started on Week 16 last go 'round and had every intention of doing the same this time, but... SECOND CHILD {I feel like I'm going to be saying that a lot?}.  I did manage to snap a bump photo at 16 weeks {on my exact "week changeover day" and everything}, so... yay me?

Untitled
Untitled
17 weeks with L*

*Labels are links to the corresponding weekly posts during my pregnancy with L.

Marination Time: 17 weeks... My EDD is April 1st, but, since that's an estimate and I was measuring a week behind at my first ultrasound, I'm hoping my OB will push that back by a week if I'm still measuring behind next week. I am really, really hoping for a VBAC, and I want as much time as possible to go into labor naturally {my OB's malpractice insurance will not allow her to  attend a VBAC after the official due date passes}. 

Feeling... Good, comparatively.  First trimester was incredibly rough. I was nauseous all day, every day.  Curious George basically parented my toddler for several weeks.  I was never that miserable with L, and of course, I didn't have an L to chase around... Pregnancy with a toddler is no joke.  Happily, food tastes okay again, and I can usually manage to brush my teeth without uncontrollably gagging.  I have been getting a lot of headaches {almost daily} and those put a damper on that 2nd Tri Honeymoon Phase, fo' sho'. 

Cravings / Aversions: There was one night a few weeks ago when I had to have a Burger House burger and seasoned fries, and Mexican food generally seems like a good idea, but really, nothing major.  Unlike my pregnancy with L, sweets of any kind are a terrible plan.  They taste great going down, but I feel like absolute hell afterward.  This is both awesome and ridiculously sad news for Halloween candy season and the upcoming holidays. 

Other Differences: I have not gained as much weight as I had at this point with L, thanks to loosing several pounds in the first trimester {I think I'm up one pound total}.  I'm really hoping to keep total gain around 30 lbs {I tipped the scales at +39 last time}.  My skin remains clear with Baby B {I was an oil slick with L} and I feel a bit more of that "pregnancy glow"... Maybe girls really do suck the beauty out of their mamas! 

Sex: Baby Boy!  Instead of the first trimester NT scan and quad screen, we opted for one of the brand new fetal DNA tests {my OB's office offers the Panorama}. We are much more comfortable with these tests' definitive {99+% accurate} results as opposed to the odds-based results of the traditional testing.  A fun bonus to the Panorama {and progeny} is we got to find out the sex at 12 weeks -- and with absolutely no guesswork!  Boy has been my guess all along, based purely on how different I've felt compared to my last pregnancy.  I think everyone else has been pretty surprised -- we will be the first family on my mom's side to have one of each sex in many generations!  We are pretty stinkin' excited to experience both! 

Name: He has one... We will do as we did with L and share once he is born.  Until then {and from there on out}, he'll be B on the blog... pretty fitting for a second child + boy, yes? 

Movement: Occasional.  I remain slightly weirded out and not-at-all gushy about in utero flutters. 

Sleep: Either really great or really terrible, depending on the middle-of-the-night pee situation.  I continue to praise baby cheese-us for our Tempurpedic -- hallelujahs that I'm sure will become more fervent as the weeks go by! 

Maternity Clothes: Pants all the way.  Some shirts, but not out of necessity {they're just comfy!}. 

Highlight of the Week: Baylor Homecoming, which really deserves its own post.  I'll try to make that happen tomorrow. 

Gratuitous Big Sister Photos:

Untitled
Untitled

Picture Day at preschool was Monday, and my bug looked pretty damn squeezable in her fancy duds. I am dying to get my mitts on those shots!  Basically cannot think of anything more adorable than itty bitties posing for {highly cheesy, I'm sure} professional photos. 

13 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Love updates. Keep em coming mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've felt guilty about "second baby" syndrome too. First baby everything is new and exciting, this time around I'm still taking in all the new things my first is doing, making it hard to document every week of pregnancy like I did last time. I'm hoping for a VBAC with my second as well. I switched to a midwife for that purpose, they are supposed to have better odds of successfully getting a VBAC. Good luck with everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look awesome girl.

    I have a few friends that are pregnant, and it seems like a lot of (my fav) bloggers, and that first trimester seriously sounds like HELL.

    I hope now that you seem to be nearing the end, it gets a little easier. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had morning sickness through my second trimester, and I just kept thinking, "HOW on EARTH do women survive pregnancy when they have other kids to take care of?!" You have my awe and respect, madam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. L in her picture outfit makes me a mush pile of "aww" and "love that kid". So excited for baby "B"...but I wish he would quit ruining sweets for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! I feel you on the baby #2 slacking. I think I say, poor new baby at least once a week. Nary a bump pic to be taken yet! I'm hoping to make up for the lack of pregnancy documentation with cute clothes and hairbows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the baby B! I am a few weeks behind you with my first! I am struggling with headaches too. Are you doing anything for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to you as well!!

      Sometimes caffeine helps and, thankfully, coffee JUST started sounding okay again. If it's really bad, I take a Tylenol (or a Tylenol PM before bed), but I hate to take them every day.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on baby #2!!! I can't imagine being pregnant with a toddler. I was so sleepy during that first trimester and naps were my saving grace. I don't know what I'm going to do when it comes time for another baby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love baby bump comparisons! I need some side by side action lady! You look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats again! You are glowing, as usual. That's so exciting that you're having a boy, and so funny about breaking the family tradition. Hope you continue to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LoVe how the Goldfish box is open in the cart. That's how we roll too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm due with an April baby as well (the 20th), my first. Headaches have been a major 2nd trimester symptom. And yes, Mexican food always sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!