Monday, November 18, 2013

five for friday


Linking up with April et al. for another Five on Friday...

Five. 


I recently finished my Breaking Bad binge.  This accomplishment made me feel a lot like my buddy Pinkman up there... a nice mix of WHY GOD WHY and THANK YOU JESUS. I loved those crazy meth kids, but Seasons 4 and 5 (x2) were doing absolutely nothing for my stellar blood pressure.  I do wish I'd watched this one in real time... I found it difficult to digest all the character development so quickly.  Which kind of makes me sound like a simpleton, but it's hard to go from empathizing with someone to despising them in 6 weeks when the process was meant to take, what, six years?  Oh well.  It is was it is, and what it is was still television greatness.  I'm pumped to read the Breaking Bad chapter in The Revolution Was Televisedthis weekend. 

Four.


Speaking of great TV, American Horror Story is killing it {pun!} this season.  I wasn't impressed with Asylum, but the ladies of Coven are the most perfect mix of strong, scary, and, at times, hysterical.  Plus, this is the first season of AHS featuring an opening credits that I can actually watch without closing my eyes {although those KKK hoods give me the shivers every damn time}. 

Three.


Let's roll on with the pop culture theme, shall we?  E and I have seen two movies in the theaters in the last month, which is twice as many as we've seen in the last nine... We've got to get serious about Oscar buzz sometime!  We saw Twelve Years a Slave and Dallas Buyers' Club... two totally different films, but both extremely powerful and beautifully acted {and the physical transformations by Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto are...whoa}. I'd classify both as must-sees. 

Two.


Completely switching topics... I need a little help!  Remember this guy ^^^ from your childhood?  I loooooved that damn thing when I was little, and I would really  like the modern day equivalent for L for Christmas.  And when I say "modern day equivalent," I don't mean an iPod with a kid-proof case.  I'd like an MP3 player that basically looks similar to the old gold standard -- simple stop and start buttons, with arrows to switch to the next song, and maybe a microphone.  Nothing else.  No fancy swipe screen, no apps, just the basics. I found this guy but, as you can see, it's maaaaaaajorly marked up by whatever BS "third party sellers" are offering it, plus... no reviews. Anyone have any ideas?  Bueller? 

One.

I get asked about the smoothie / Popsicle recipe I make for L a lot, so I thought I'd post it here.  I actually have been meaning to write a BLW Update -- really, more of a "debriefing" at this point since the post is so belated... I'll try and hop to that if anyone is interested! 


Toddler Green {or Orange} Monster Smoothie
- 1 banana
- Greek yogurt (flavored or not} - I use an entire personal container 
- 3/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, kale, or butternut squash puree 
- handful of whatever other fruit I have on hand or frozen {berries, peach, mango, pineapple, etc}
- splash of milk so the blender will actually function 
- sometimes I add 1 T. ground flax seed if I'm feeling fancy 

Blend it all together and pat yourself on the back for successfully hiding a few veggies.  L will often drink two small sippy cups {5ish oz each} of these a day, and I freeze the rest in popsicle form!  She gets a little pickier than normal at school, so it is one of the constants in her lunch sack since I know she'll devour it first and at least get some good protein and a vegetable + fruit serving.  {I usually photograph her meals with the hashtag #munchkinmeals on IG if you're curious as to what she takes to school!}

16 comments:

  1. Your IG account must be private, I'm not finding any of your 'grams with that #.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. My user name is cheesefiend - send me a request and I'll approve!

      Delete
  2. I would love to see recommendations for the FP toy, too. My 20 month-old son would lose his mind over something like that. I did a quick search on Amazon and saw a V-Tech learning karaoke toy and a fisher price "learning DJ." Not quite the same, but they seem to have working microphones at least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love an updated BLW post...I referred to your tumblr account constantly when BG first started BLW so I'm sure I'd love your debriefing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our munchkin is a few months younger than yours so we definitely would love to hear how BLW is going for you! We have been trying a modified version of it, but we are hitting a rough patch on meals... she just refuses to eat anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that you're done with BB, you must read this crazy interesting theory. Probably my favorite thing I read after it ended. http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/norm-mcdonald-breaking-bad/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW. My mind is a little blown. This thought never entered my mind and now I need to go back and watch the final episode again!

      Delete
  6. Also....just watched the trailer for DBC. Since I live under a rock (ie no cable and never go to the movies) I hadn't heard of it. Might just go see it when my parents are here for Thanksgiving and we have some sitters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually a super small budget film ($5M total) and it took over a decade to make! The release thus far was very limited but I think it opened nationwide this weekend!

      Delete
  7. Um, creepy stalker alert...I've been trying to find you on IG forEVER. Can you pretty please approve me? jennengelbrecht. I live in London so I solemnly swear that I will not stalk you in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you looked at Toys R Us? I swear I seen something close to it, they have a bunch of older toys (that came back). I don't go there anymore, but had to a few weeks ago. There's another site that might have it, I'll try to remember what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check Toys R Us -- I asked a clerk and she wasn't very helpful. She kept trying to sell me $300 iPod-type contraptions slathered with Hello Kitty stickers.

      Delete
  9. I feel the exact same way about breaking bad!! We are watching season 6 now.

    Also, I'd love a BLW update!!! That smoothie sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look for a sweetpea3. when you google it type it all one word. It is a toddler mp3 player with some parent features. We got one for my little one when she was almost 2 and she's now 6 and it is still rocking the tunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH! This is exactly what I was looking for!

      Delete

happy little comments!