Thursday, December 12, 2013

L's Christmas Toy Wish-List

I've had a few inquiries as to what my little booger might find under the tree this year {big hits from last year's Christmas and birthday here}, and my ever-loving-list-making self is more than happy to comply! 

One of the awesome things about having an almost-two-year-old to shop for is the fact that they have obvious preferences, but they're still too young to make some crazy-ass wish list.  It's basically the solitary bone thrown to a control freak parent in the midst of the random tornado that is toddlerdom.  Suffice to say, I hope L likes playing with these suckers as much as I enjoyed picking them out! 

*My Privileged Middle-Class Guilt feels compelled to say, uh, yeah this is a lot of stuff.  Two doting sets of grandparents + a wonder great-grandmother will do that to a gal.  We'll be scaling back big time on birthday with a group gift {an art / play table}.


Melissa & Doug Cook's Corner Kitchen - This is The Big Santa Gift.  If you haven't already caught on, we're big Melissa & Doug fans; the quality and construction just can't be beat.  I choose this particular model over other popular choices because it's a bit more compact and will tuck nicely in the corner of our playroom.  Fewer bells and whistles on the actual kitchen also leaves room for some fun accessories, like the corresponding Accessories Set and the ridiculously adorable Hape Pop-Up Toaster.



Daniel Tiger Trolley & Play Figurines - My kid geeks out over all things Daniel Tiger.  Her fervor for that little critter is both cute as hell and terrifying in its magnitude. In my search for "Tigey" swag {for those who aren't familiar, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood centers around the children of the original Mr. Roger's Neighborhood characters -- so the whole thing is pretty nostalgic for this Fred Rogers fan}, I stumbled upon the new line of Daniel Tiger toys at TRU.  While I'm not blown away by the quality of the collection overall, I know L will lose her shit over the trolley and character figurines.  The trolley seems the sturdiest of the playsets, and it has that pull-back-go-vroom action going for it {plus the ubiquitous DTN "ding ding!"}.  The figurines fit onto little pegs in the trolley {think Little People but the pegs are a lot smaller}... Wheeled vehicles and things that can be taken in and out are two of L's current favorite things, so I think this would be a hit regardless of the sure-fire licensed character win. 


B. Toys Meowsic Keyboard - B. Toys is another brand I really love... no lead or phthalates in any of their products + eco friendly packaging.  Not to mention the toys are really fun!  {PSA: Never buy B. Toys off Amazon -- Target is by far the cheapest place to purchase them!} As for this particular pick... A keyboard shaped like a "catty" with a microphone to yell into?  W-I-N-N-E-R.  Fo' sho. 


SweetPea3 MP3 Music Player - I asked y'all a while back about the modern day equivalent to the old Fisher Price tape player. A very kind commenter pointed me to the SweetPea3, and it is exactly what I was hoping for {super simple interface; nothing that resembles an Apple product, etc}.  I cannot wait to load this sucker up with all the kid-friendly tuneage {and. um, Lourdes' Royals... don't ask} that is currently taking up space on my iPod. ETA: The link I have listed is to the SweetPea website; we purchased directly from there. Amazon didn't have the best price or the newest version (the newest SweetPea3 should hold 4GB of data or 1400 songs). 


Melissa & Doug Monster Bowling Game - How fun does this look?  I foresee this being used more as a carnival-style chuck-the-ball / knock-over-the-pins game at this age.  I think it'll be a great indoor energy burner as well as an opportunity to practice taking turns. 


Melissa & Doug Jumbo ABC Chunky Puzzle - Love me a M&D chunky puzzle!  I figured we might as well add another to our repertoire, this time with a more educational spin.  


LEGO Education DUPLO Brick Set - It's the year of the Duplos!  These 144 basic pieces should serve as a nice starter kit, along with a couple of fun add-ons: Creative Cakes and Number Train.


PBK Tessa Doll - This might be the only one I'm not entirely sure about.  Everyone says L needs her own baby to tend so she feels included when Baby B arrives.  Great advice, totally makes sense... but thus far, my child has shown very little interest in dolls.  She adores her animals {stuffed, wooden, plastic -- no discrimination}, but practically ignores any toys that resemble humans. {Case-in-Point: All the stable animals from her Little People Nativity have gone to live in the much-beloved Little People Noah's Ark. Since that great migration, all manger play has been abandoned in favor of adventure on the high seas.  Poor forgotten Baby Jesus.} So we shall see... if Tessa is a big fat fail, at least I'll know I tried the baby doll / real baby acclimation trick. 

Roll & Play

Roll & Play Game - Thank you Samma for this suggestion!  There's not many organized games made for the two year old set {for obvious reasons}, but I think this one is just right for L developmentally and will be a lot of fun.

What are your 2 year old's favorite toys?

*Per usual, Amazon links are affiliate, but nothing listed here is sponsored or a freebie! 

21 comments:

  1. A lot of these things are on our girls list (or she has been given) the only difference. My girl wants NOTHING to do with stuffed animals and EVERYTHING to do with the babies. We have LOTS and LOTS of babies. So funny how every child prefers different things! Love it. I will say that Pop-Up Toaster might be under our tree as well. The MP3 player, genius I never thought of that. My child though adores the dreaded iPad all I hear is Twinkle Twinkle, EIEIO, BINGO, over and over. Granted she has learned all the words and can sign all of these songs, heaven help me if I have to listen to these nursery rhymes ONE MORE TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the MP3 player! I want to purchase this for my daughter who is one and a half. DId you buy the one you put a picture up of? For some reason this one is twenty dollars more on Amazon than their other version with more storage space. But, I wasn't sure if the one you pictured had a simpler interface for the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't buy these from Amazon - when I researched them, they were much pricier on Amazon and not the newest version. The link I have listed takes you directly to the SweetPea website; we purchased from them. The SweetPea3 (pictured) is the one we got and it holds 1400 songs!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm so excited about this! Hopefully she will stop grabbing my phone to listen to music...

      Delete
  3. We LOVE M&D toys, too. Those puzzles were a huge part of Connor learning his letters and numbers. And that kitchen is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of Melissa & Doug under our tree this year too. Blaire's getting a play kitchen also (pink to boot - Gloria Steinem, forgive me!) and lots of M&D accessories. Some Duplo blocks too though I hadn't seen the number train - that looks great!

    Enjoy that microphone. IMy MIL got Blaire one that not only amplifies her voice but also converts it to an elf voice. I knew that woman hated me.

    L is going to be a happy, happy camper on Christmas morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love in fear of ILs going off the reservation with gifts. The Walgreens Valentine's Puppy still haunts me 10 months later (why won't the batteries diiiiiiiiiiiiiie?).

      Delete
  5. I am loving the frequent posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these posts! J, who turns 3 next week (so its a freaking present BONANZA over here) wants the Duplo number train from Santa (sure) and is getting a Blue Kitchen from Omi and Poppo.

    I came on here to ask more about the Sweetpea but I see you provided some info! I love this idea but wonder if it opens a can of musical/technology worms. But if he asks me to play "Life is a Highway" or "Choo Choo Soul" on my phone one more time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I really wanted something that was so super simple! I don't want her getting used to having unfettered access to anything that resembles an iPad or tablet at this point! Since the interface is pretty boring, I think it will just be more of a holding place for her music, plus I am hoping it'll be great for the car (when she wants to hear Itsy Bitsy Spider on repeat and we're going nuts). I remember using my little tape player for years on car trips...hoping this is a good modern day substitute!

      Delete
  7. My daughter for that cat piano for Christmas when she was 2. She loved it. She's 6 and it's still around. But just a forwarning. It gets annoying as hell fast! Especially when they play the piano in cat mode.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, about 2 months ago, in an effort to drop one of M's feedings after a nap, we started watching 15 min of Daniel Tiger on netflix after her PM nap each day. It totally helped her forget about the feeding, and now she too goes crazy over DT. I just ordered the little characters and trolley for her and she's going to FLIP. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DTN is like Toddler Crack. I swear.

      Psssssssst: There is a soundtrack available on iTunes.

      Delete
  9. I have zero kids and zero kids to buy for, buutttttt I did just notice that Melissa & Doug are on One King's Lane. Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're doing Duplos for J as well. We have that kitchen and she loves it! The pots and pans that coordinate are looking pretty rough, but we have slate tile floors so they chip the paint easily.

    We're doing a doll for J since she's just started showing interest in them in the last few months so perhaps L is close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to check out Daniel Lion. I wondered if he was evolved from Mr. R. I need a freaking break from Bob the Builder.
    My 2-year old's favorite toys are (plastic pretend) tools and more tools. I don't know how this happened. I really tried to give him lots of non-gender-specific options, but he has totally gravitated toward building stuff and tools. Like, obsession level. I try to engage him in building with leggos or blocks, or playing with animals or dolls, but he just knocks down the buildings with the axe or hammer or similar. I'm kind of loosing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, also. I wanted to ask. In the category of privileged middle class issues: How do you manage toy volume/what is L's playroom like? We are running out of room! Do you rotate through toys or have you considered it? (I have considered, but am not that organized). What do you do with toys when L looses interest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ug, our playroom is really a mess. I plan on really tackling that area after Christmas and then even more so after our living room is patched up. We keep toys in 4 areas of the house: the bulk in the playroom (upstairs) and living room (downstairs) as well as a few small toys and some books in our entry/dining/kitchen area and in our master bedroom. I try and rotate those things around so they seem "new" in a different environment. Since our most recent flood, the majority of the toys are now all in the playroom and it feels way too stuffed and makes me want to rip my hair out. I promise to take some photos once every thing returns to normal and we get organized!

      I've yet to do any sort of toy purge since I know this new kiddo will play with all that L has outgrown. I keep those stored in bins under the guest bed (his future nursery) and in the guest closet. As soon as he also outgrows those, I'll donate them all. Once they are old enough to understand this concept, I'd like for them to each pick toys to donate after every Christmas and birthday just to keep volume down (and to emphasize thankfulness and giving and all that good stuff, of course!). I think next year we will be setting a gift limit for grandparents as well -- as much as I love my kids having grandparents who want to spoil them, it just gets to be TOO MUCH! I love the "want, need, wear, read" gift concept, so we might very well go with that.

      (Forgive my stream of conscience response!)

      Delete
  13. We have the M&D play kitchen and LOVE it. Sam is also getting a few Hape accessories this year to add to it. Good find on the MP3 music player. I look forward to hearing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the wonderful list! We gave Elyse a kitchen for her birthday on Friday and she LOVES it! We got her some accessories for Christmas and I added that Monster bowling set to her present list due to her MONSTER obsession!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!