Monday, January 20, 2014

5 on Monday

Haven't done the ol' 72-hours-late-link-up lately... Might as well get things rolling for 2014!


five.

Speaking of the New Year, I remembered a few days ago that I made some resolutions for 2013 {kinda? sorta?}.  Looking back, I had some really nice ideas that basically boiled down to Be a Little More Like Pre-Baby Me.  A couple of my columns get gold stars {we did some very relaxing traveling in 2013 - both with and without L; the February Birthday Bonanza was a success}, a couple were pretty epic failures {doing the Whole 30? Fuck that noise} {Also: my master plan to wean L right at a year basically got the smackdown from my child who is apparently no quitter}, and Universe just seemed to have other ideas for the rest {Surprise! You're pregnant!}. 

I've only made one "resolution" for 2014 {although I guess the Big VBAC Question Mark is major, major goal}, and I haven't written it in fancy handwriting on gold leaf stationery and posted it to IG on a farm table with a loose floral arrangement in the background, so I do hope the Interwebs will recognize it as legit.  Are you ready? 

Read more books printed on actual paper. 

Y'all, I know.  So lofty.  But I figure it's a somewhat attainable goal in a year that is sure to be full of changes and unknowns and plenty of emo-shower-breakdowns complete with wine in solo cups.  I set the bar super low by only managing to read one non-digital book in 2013, so I'm feeling really good about this one {although I must admit I've read two books in '14 thus far and they were both on the Kindle... way to start strong!}.  

Any other super aggressive resolution setters out there?

four.

E and I are headed to the Caymans in a few weeks, and I could not be more smug thrilled about it!  E, having yet to master the art of Being Really Really Lazy on vacation, is not a big beach person {and, admittedly, I'd usually pick the mountains or a vineyard or somewhere historic over the shore, too}, and we haven't been on a typical beach trip since our honeymoon.  This sucker has the added bonus of being mostly paid for by E's firm since there is a big client conference he will be attending during our stay.  This actually ended up being the perfect "babymoon" {ick} scenario {well, for me} since I will get two days of uninterrupted beach / pool time {and by "uninterrupted," I mean no one will be asking me every 20 minutes if I want to go "do something beside sit here and read"... the answer to that question being NO, 9 times out of 10}.  

ANYHOODLE, I need a bathing suit for this grand adventure.  Anyone have any recs?  Or tips on how to buy a normal swimsuit to fit a 32-week-pregnant body?  I'd actually prefer a normal two-piece {non-tankini} situation, seeing as this is the first time in years my stomach doesn't jiggile, but all the bikinis I own haven't seen the light of day since probably 2010.  Ideas?

three.

One lovely thing about having a second baby soon after your first is you are pretty set on Baby Crap.  Our gear purchases for #2 are quite minimal {although we are getting that second crib, sorry not sorry}... the double stroller being our only true big ticket item.  I thought long and hard about which double to select, and we ended up with the Baby Jogger City Mini GT.I felt a little guilty cheating on our Bumbleride, but I think the City Mini GT is going to be a better fit for our family just by the virtue of being easier to fold and carry {it will need to be loaded up in the car much more often than the Bumbleride ever was}.  The GT model still has air-filled tires, making it more "all-terrain" than the regular model {and, seriously, it handles like buttah.}.  It is not a true jogger, but, let's face the facts, neither am I.  It can definitely still handle power walks through the neighborhood and on the paved trail around White Rock Lake, and if I feel like busting out "my jog" {which I was told during law school "couldn't outrun a one-legged rapist"}, I'm confident it can hang as I limp pitifully along.  And we are still keeping our Indie in case one of us gets bitten by a spider with super powers, spurring the onset of random marathon training -- there will still be plenty of opportunities to run with just one kiddo in tow.  

LBug is quite fond of her "new strollah"

I'm putting this all out there not for some fabulous sponsorship {I wish!} {but, as always Amazon links are affiliate!}, but because we got this sucker 30% off, and I noticed that sale is still going on... Just trying to spread the double stroller love if any of y'all are also needing to pull the trigger on one! 

two.

I am getting really excited about L's birthday and am, again, trying to reach that happy medium of fun, crafty-ish personal touches and "don't be a douche canoe; it's just a 2 year old's birthday party." {That's actually the official theme I've decided on. It's going to be Pin-tastical!}  We are saying a Hail Mary and booking a park pavilion.  This will either be the best idea ever... or we'll end up at Chick-fil-a while it sleets outside. Cupcakes and snacks, a bucket of beer for the adults... I love, love, love park birthday parties.  And I love, love, love that my End-of-3rd-Tri Self won't be stressing out about a monthly photo shoot banner.  Now... if I can't find any paper goods emblazoned with douche canoes, should we do Curious George or Daniel Tiger?  BIG DECISIONS.  

one. 

Weather... you have been so pretty lately!  Please stay this way forever and ever! Also, it seems we own a lot of Tyler's shirts. 


Hope you're enjoying a relaxing MLK Monday!

25 comments:

  1. You have got to love business trips that land in the Caymans! I mean, that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time on your trip!!! I love the bathing suits from Bare Necessities and you can buy separates in different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I have the City Mini Double GT for my 1 year old and 3 year old. Love. It folds like a breeze, runs as much as I can run pushing that much weight, and is light enough to hoist into the car on the regular. In my experience, for the first six-ish months of my second child's life, I mostly used the single and had the baby in the Ergo. I hardly used the Ergo with the first. Mine are 20 months apart and I needed both hands for my older daughter. So yes! Keep the single!
    2.I had and needed two cribs and in fact, one of my friends with similarly spaced children made the opposite decision and then ordered a Graco crib from Amazon with overnight shipping within the first week of her second child's life. I set up my big girl's room with her big girl bed on one side and and her crib on the other and I came home from a rare night out and she had moved herself to her big girl bed, never to return. I stuck the crib mattress under her big girl bed and we still use it when we have friends visit. Good decision.
    3. Curious George is typically easier to find than Daniel Tiger, but there are some etsy sellers doing Daniel Tiger now. Just don't think you're going to find and Trolley PJs (just like Daniel Tiger, mommy!) unless you have a family member who is willing to sew them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are looking in double strollers as well! Such a big decision!

    http://scaifebabywatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Paper goods emblazoned with douche canoes..." -just the best thing I've read all day.

    And books on paper? What are those? I've officially become that which I hate - a person who reads exclusively on her iPad. FOR SHAME.

    On the bathing suit front, I was able to pull off a non-maternity one piece with ruched sides for quite a while - maybe that would work? Or just rock those bikinis and tan that belly! Sounds like an AMAZING trip. Our last solo sit-on-your-ass beach vacation was also our honeymoon for just the reasons you mentioned. Beach trips are now reserved for family trips which come with built in buddies for golf/gambling/non-ass-sitting activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say 95% if the reason I want to read more actual paper books is that people seem to bother you less when you are reading them :) At least in my family, iPad / iPhone = Oh, Kate must just be stalking people on IG; I bet she'd love to take a break and help [do something I definitely don't want to do because I'M READING HERE, PEOPLE].

      Yay for selfish resolutions!!

      Delete
  6. Hey there, I never managed to comment on your guest post about staying at home but I wanted to say I think you're great. Feel no bad about staying home - it's really how the world should work, moms at home with very littles, phasing back to work gradually, but society hasn't yet rebuilt the structures to allow for that. Dads should get a year at home too, like the Swedes do it, but I suspect in the land of Marlboro Man that's not happening.

    And are you NWP? (Nursing while pregnant?) I did that. Man it was tough. Anyway, I salute you either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words! We have some family friends in Germany and I'm insanely jealous of their maternity / paternity setup! Europe; sigh.

      L self-weaned when I was 14 weeks pregnant - I'm guessing bc my milk changed taste? I'm so relieved it wasn't a big deal! I was having visions of tandem nursing, and I'm not I'm cut out for that!

      Delete
  7. I'm all about the douche canoe birthday party...hah!

    Also, I'm only slightly jealous of L's sparkly Toms. Most stylish 1 year old ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do the BioBay kayaking tour in the Caymans. If you are there during the right conditions-full moon, etc., it is so cool. You kayak out and your oars go into the water lit by tiny dinoflaggelates (sp), so it looks like you are paddling in neon water. So cool. I also loved the jetski tour-but that's out for you! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New Year's Resolution: ignore anthying in fancy handwriting on gold leaf stationery and posted it to IG on a farm table with a loose floral arrangement in the background.

    The birthday party sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "and I haven't written it in fancy handwriting on gold leaf stationery and posted it to IG on a farm table with a loose floral arrangement in the background, so I do hope the Interwebs will recognize it as legit." DEAD.

    Jealous of your upcoming trip!! And a Daniel Tiger party might just be the most precious 2 year old party theme...ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you been to Grand Cayman before? I can recommend some fun stuff to do if you haven't! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of things planned with the conference and clients but I'd still love some recs!

      Delete
  12. Here's a lofty resolution I have for 2014: do math in my head more often rather than using a calculator. Lame, but doable... just my style!

    Also, I'm in full-out obsession mode about planning the twins' first birthday, which is still 2.5 months away. I feel like that's normal for first time moms, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tooooootally normal! I had a Pinterest board in the works for months!

      Delete
  13. When you go to the La Prairie spa, because DUH YOU HAVE TO GO, arrive extra early. Their waiting room is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already booked two appointments!

      Delete
  14. I just got this off craigslist NEVER USED for $200. I think the lady may have stole it but who cares :) http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Buggy-2013-Stroller-Flint/dp/B009VYXG4I/ref=br_it_dp_o_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1B31LACR0F4VD&coliid=I1ADZGRPSXG3JQ We had the indie too. Hope its as good. I LOVE how slim it is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't take this list seriously until I see it on pretty paper on IG. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "don't be a douche canoe; it's just a 2 year old's birthday party." - HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. JCrew is having a crazy sale right now on swimwear - an extra 40% off sale prices! Now go forth and shop!

    Also: we were married in Cayman and have been lucky enough to visit that gorgeous place at least once a year - please be sure to dine at Calypso Grill (sticky toffee pudding WHAT), eat fish tacos and tiny ice cream cones at the Sunshine Grill (totally random location but worth the walk!), have sunset drinks at the Royal Palms, and read all day in a hammock at Rum Point! If you can obtain a sip of one of their famous mudslides or get your hands on a virgin one, all the better! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the recs! I'm feeling smart and ahead of the game because we'd already booked reservations at both Calypso Grill and the Royal Palms -- so glad to hear I picked well!

      Delete
    2. Yay! You really can't go wrong in terms of food. Try to sit outside at Calypso if you can - the moonlight on the water is so gorgeous! If you can get to Papagallo, it's also worth the trip: http://www.pappagallo.ky. I've been underwhelmed by the food at The Wharf the last few times we've visited, but the scenery is lovely and feeding the tarpons is fun/gross/interesting. We were married at The Grand Old House - another wonderful splurge for dinner, but Calypso is our favorite by far. We don't have a trip planned this year but you're making me want to go back! Can't wait to see your pics.

      Delete

happy little comments!