Wednesday, March 12, 2014

36 & 37 weeks


Marination Time: 37 weeks!  Which, until about 6 months ago, was considered full term! {Now, 39 weeks is the magic number.} While I'd much prefer a 100% fully cooked bambino, the volume on the tick of that VBAC Clock has definitely been jacked up this week, and we are in full on Old Wives Tale Induction Methods Mode.  My biggest fear is I just won't dilate at all by April 4th {D-Day... or C-Day, I suppose}, and we'll have zero options aside from a repeat c-section.  Obviously going into labor naturally before then is the number one goal, but if I can at least get a few centimeters taken care of by myself, we can talk about non-Pitocin induction methods as well. 

Feeling ...That 37 week photo is pretty indicative.  I'm having some ROUGH days, mostly due to shitty shitty sleep.  But, really, nothing out of the ordinary at this stage in the game.  I've said it before, but I actually think I'm in much better shape this go'round just by virtue of having an active toddler to chase all day.  I am up and down and on my feet and hauling around 28 pounds of sugar pretty much from 7am to 8pm, and, while I'm dead tired at the end of the day, I feel much less lump-ish. 

I did have a weird scare last week {35w6d}.  E had just gone to work; it was an ice day for L's school, so we were doing the normal lazily-play-in-PJs-after-breakfast thing we do on non-school days.  Out of no where, my heart started racing -- to the extent that I couldn't count fast enough to take my pulse, but we're definitely talking over 200 bmp.  This has happened once before but went away within 5 or 10 minutes, so I didn't freak out at first, just sat down and drank some water.  After about 15 minutes, my left shoulder blade started to go numb, and I started to freak out {I AM GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK IN FRONT OF MY 2 YEAR OLD AND NO ONE WILL DISCOVER MY COLD, DEAD BODY FOR 10 HOURS BY WHICH TIME SAID 2 YEAR OLD WILL PROBABLY HAVE EITHER BURNED THE HOUSE DOWN OR FIGURED OUT HOW TO ERASE OUR ENTIRE DVR BOTH BEING LARGE TRAGEDIES}.  I called E; we tried to do some breathing exercises, but nothing helped. I called my doctor and left a very dramatic message.  After about 35 minutes of this nonsense, my heart rate just went back to normal.  Not gradually -- just, BAM, right back down.  5 minutes later, the nurse called me back.  With the ice, no one was in the office so my options were to head to the ER {not something I really wanted to do by myself with L} or monitor my BP and pulse every hour at home {bingo}.  E picked up a BP machine and came home for a few hours -- everything was completely normal. So incredibly odd.  A few friends in the medical field have mentioned SVT to me, which does seem to fit the symptoms, but, given that it's only happened twice in nearly 9 months, we're just going to be cognizant of it rather than try and chase down a diagnosis.  So... all is well, but... scary! 

Cravings: Still wanting to huff new rubber and tennis balls and construction materials.  I am taking my tires to be rotated and balanced next week and I AM SO EXCITED.  I also discovered our collection of cloth wipes smells deeeeee-lectable. I can't even describe it but it's heavenly.  I feel like Jennifer Lawrence shoving her shellacked nails up her nose every 5 seconds like a cokehead.  So. Bizarre. 


Movement: I think I'm finally letting myself believe he is securely head down... mostly due to the fierce kicks I've been getting way up in my upper right ribs. Ouch. I also felt hiccups twice last night for the very first time... at 1:30 am and 3:30 am.  Adorable, but ill-timed, kiddo. 

Sleep: "Good" Sleep = I only wake up 2 or 3 times to pee and fall back asleep within 30 minutes each time. If I have a "good" night, the next night is sure to suck.  Sucky Sleep = Up to pee 4 or 5 times and somewhere in there, I'm up for 2-4 hours.  Thank you, Baby Cheesus, for the Kindle app. 

#2 Compared to #1:  As I mentioned above, even though I sometimes feel like ass, there is generally less of an ass-ish feeling this time around.  I am thankful for the sustained ability and energy to play all day with my tiny tyrant.  And three cheers for still no feet swelling!  

Bonus Progression Update: At 36w3d, I was at zero progression {no dilation; no effacement}. Under ideal circumstances {ie: no prior c-section}, I would decline cervical checks as I don't believe they really tell you much of anything {given that you could walk around 3 cm dilated for weeks or go from 0 to 5 in a matter of hours}, but with the VBAC timeline looming, I want to know if I at least have a chance at the Foley ball or manual water breaking {both of which require some natural dilation} if my contractions don't start on their own. 

Old Wives Tales Induction Methods: As of 37 weeks, I am officially eating dates, doing an evening primrose regimen, drinking my red raspberry leaf tea, slamming pineapple, squatting, and, um, nipple stimulating. If I can dilate a bit on my own, my OB will also start weekly membrane sweeps. And I believe I've found a Chinese foot massage man who will do acupressure massage.  

Highlight of the Week: First we had CSP stay overnight with us after a business trip 2 weekends ago, and this past weekend, I traveled to Houston to celebrate RBB and Baby Girl Collins {and also shower without an audience and sleep until 8:30 am - t'was glorious!}.  It's been a fabulous 2 weeks for catching up and just relaxing with best friends! 


Gratuitous Big Sis Photos

Tiny Rocker
Pausing her medical duties for PB&J
When I'm away, E dresses her like a Rocky-Eminem Hybrid and makes her run cross-country

13 comments:

  1. Definetly try acupuncture- it has a very high success rate although sadly I was not one of them. Other things I have heard- black licorice, eggplant Parmesan, clary sage aromotherapy, and of course sex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your heart rate totally sounds like SVT...or some sort of arrhythmia --not fun!! But hopefully it's a non issue going forward.

    I cannot believe you are so close. No idea that 37 weeks is not considered full term anymore! Wha???

    Still dying over your desire to smell and huff random things. And finally, you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that crazy about full term? I think the American Academy of Obstetrics changed it about 6 mo ago?

      Delete
  3. Try pumping and ye olde castor oil. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So close!! I have also heard Newman's Italian dressing. So weird. I was the same as you with feeling so much better with number 2. Thank the Lord, especially since Morgan would love to have 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evan wants a #3 as well... I'm not sure I'm as charitable as you are ;)

      Delete
  5. So I didn't include this in my birth story post on the blog, but the doctors totally discovered that I have an irregular heartbeat during labor. Talk about scary! They were doing EKG on me in between contractions, ugh. So I feel you on the weird heart stuff.

    Also? Glad to hear I'm not the only one who ate dates after hearing of that study. Seemed to do the trick for me, as I had a pretty quick labor! Not sure if it was the dates but I'll take it.

    Last tidbit: do the deed. We tried for the first time in weeks and my water broke 30 min later. I say tried bc mission was aborted due to pain but it still did the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The s-e-x is definitely in the mix; I just felt a little weird about typing that out ;) Because NIPPLE STIMULATION isn't mortifying enough!

      Delete
  6. The caption under the last photo about the way Evan dresses L when you are away has me laughing out loud in my office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received that photo in Houston and cracked up!

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the VBAC! I hate the timeline they put on women. Gah! I pushed my doctor off until the very last minute (he was not happy) and Harper was born a day after her due date. My doula recommended acupuncture to get labor going. I did 3 sessions (in 3 days) and I went into labor. I'm not sure if it was coincidental but it's worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went the Foley Ball route with my second and I recommend it if needed. I went from 2 to 5 almost 6 in about and hour and half. It wasn't the most pleasant thing being put in, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat! I had to be induced a week early :( due to preeclampsia and that's what my midwife suggested I do.

    Ive been reading your blog for a while but have never commented. You always crack me up and I look forward to read when you post!! Keep it up mama!! Can't wait to hear about your vbac success!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a restaurant in Orlando called the Briar Patch that claims to have a labor inducing salad! I always thought it was funny when looking at the brunch menu - but hey, maybe it will help! It's a Spinach, Gorgonzola, and Walnut salad with apples and chicken. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!