Friday, April 25, 2014

Five on Friday: Crap I'm Digging

Linking up today with the 5oF girls to share some of my more recent happy prizes...


Five: Quick & Dirty Beauty Bets


A few months ago, I started forcing my lazy pregnant ass through the motions of a somewhat extensive nighttime skincare regimen, rationalizing if I could make those steps into a good habit whilst huge and exhausted, I'd still be all over them like white on rice whilst deflated and exhausted after B arrived.  Yeah... well... B+ for Imagination, F for Execution, and A for Yes to Blueberries Age Refresh Face Wipes.  These are hands down the best facial towelettes I've ever used -- they smell yummy and leave no funky residue.  Plus, the package tells me they are compostable?!  So, yaknow, Yay Environment!  I bought these suckers where one finds All Good Things {Target}. 


My morning beauty routine is about as sophisticated as the evening's... Moisturizer + 5 Minute Makeup.  This Origins "A Perfect World" Age Defense moisturizer was a bonus Sephora freebie that I just kept in my travel toiletry bag for a few months... but I loved it so much on our Caymans trip that I've made it my daily pick! So many moisturizers with SPF feel heavy or greasy; this one provides great coverage while remaining light.  Another sample I just recently {this week} ordered in full-size is Urban Decay Eyeshadow Anti-Aging Primer Potion.  I've never had much patience for primers -- that 30 second application always just seemed like entirely too much effort, and who really needs another tube junking up their makeup bag... Well, smack me sideways with a wet noodle, this stuff is amazing!  A teeny tiny bit keeps your eyeshadow looking fresh and crease-free for a way longer period than one should reasonably go without washing their face.  Case Study: I slathered some on prior to my 40 week OB appointment turned RCS delivery -- my mascara was looooong gone by B's birth, but my eyeshadow lived on through all the embarrassing ugly crying until 24 hours later when I finally got my shit together and bathed.  It's actually kind of gross how well this stuff works.  

Four: Nursing-Friendly PJs

My collection of pajamas is depressing and sad.  My favorites include green waffle knit shorts I bought from the Gap in 8th grade and a pair of pink-breast-cancer-ribbon adorned pants I've had since sophomore year of high school.  How these continue to fit comfortably is beyond me as my pre-driver's-license size is about half of what I wear currently.  The sole rational explanation is some sort of break in the space/time continuum that only exists in my top dresser drawer.  


REGARDLESS!  PAJAMAS! It was high time for some new ones! I much prefer sleep shorts to long pants unless it's absolutely frigid outside {a rarity here}, and while grandpa-style button down tops are great for nighttime nursing sessions, I'd much rather have short sleeves than long. A few months ago, I pretty much hit the jackpot when I stumbled upon these at Target. SO SOFT.  Then my mama gifted me the fancy version from Soma. Also SO SOFT.  Both pairs are perfect for my preferences, but if I had to pick a frontrunner, I'd go with Champagne Tastes {shocking} and say the Soma sets hold up better in the wash {no pilling} and are slightly longer in the torso {yay tall people!}.

Three: Stoner Books for Toddlers

Always on the lookout for awesome new books for kidlets, I bought these two on Cassie's recommendation.



Just as I imagine the writers of The Never-Ending Story made cinematic magic for youngins of the 80s with the help of LSD {have you watched that movie as an adult? seriously, do it, and marvel at the fact that it's essentially a gigantic acid trip disguised as a PSA about reading and imagination}, Rubin and Salmieri have created these fun, clever stories after what was surely a series of epic bong hits.  Who knew one could ride a bout of the munchies all the way to the New York Times Bestseller List?! 

Two: "Transitional Wardrobe" Shorts That Don't Make Me Want to Cry

Since the illusion that breastfeeding will magically melt every single pound I gained during pregnancy away was shattered post-partum with L {seriously, this is a cruel lie; LACTATION DOESN'T CURE CHUBBINESS needs to be posted on the back of every Ben & Jerry's pint produced}, my closet now boasts more than a few "transitional" pieces to get me through until I'm back to fighting weight.  One thing I did very, very wrong last time was shorts.  It really doesn't matter what sort of shape you're in, shorts are a non-negotiable for Texas summers.  My 2012 post-partum solution to the Shorts Conundrum was simply to buy chinos in the next size up.  This sounds like a reasonable plan in theory, but in practice, {and I'll be blunt here} I spent three months trying to camouflage some major FUPA action with oversized tunics. It was all-around bad and uncomfortable. 



Yes, I admit they kind of look like black-tie pajama shorts in that photo.  But flattering{ish} black-tie pajama shorts nonetheless, right?  In person, they have a silkier appearance - a bit like cut off palazzo pants.  They are super comfy, and the wide, partially-elasticized waistband keeps the wobbly bits a bit less wobbly. Plus they are short without being hootchie.  I like them so much, I have the black print on order {as well as these linen pants, which I'm hoping will have a similar slimming effect -- I shall report back!}. 

One: Eat-Your-Paws-Off Good Smelling Soap

I picked this sucker up for the half-bath a few weeks ago, despite husband ridicule to the tune of "geesh, hand soap hoarder, much?"  Guess who was singing a different tune the next time he washed his grubby mitts?


ALSO, STOCKING ONE {or, um, four} SCENTS PER SEASON {per bathroom} DOES NOT A HOARDER MAKE {right?!}.


Bonus: How Squeezable Are My Children? 



And, no, that wasn't rhetorical. 

TGIF!  Only 10 hours 'til Happy Hour...

*No freebies or sponsored items here, although Amazon links are affiliate

21 comments:

  1. So squeezable!!! I am going to check out those shorts, my transitional wardrobe needs help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ordering those shorts immediately in prep for July and August flabbiness. What are your thoughts on sizing? Should I just order a few sizes to try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are S, M, L and I'm wearing a Large. That's probably pretty true to size for me right now!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness!!! Thank you for some Friday smiles! I needed that. Sweet pjs too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been (ahem) eight years since I've given birth, and I'm still fighting shorts-related FUPA, so I'll be ordering those ON shorts pronto!

    Your kids are TOTALLY squeezeable! L is getting SO big, and B looks like he favors your dad (from what I can tell from pics you've posted of him.) (That feels really stalkerish, but whatever.) Yay, cute babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Currently obsessed w same soap! Thanks for the book recs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely let us know about the pants! I am three weeks away from my due date and dreading the idea of shorts and swimsuits this summer, but as you know, they are both necessities in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this post is going to spur all sorts of shopping. Those wipes are in my next target basket. Slept in my makeup again last night so teenage pizza face is imminent. Off to ON for those linen pants. I currently have a pair I love from Lilly Pulitzer (solid white - not crazy printed) but they're stupid pricey and have to be hemmed despite the fact i'm 5'9 so a less expensive alternative would be lovely. Still havent picked up that eyeshadow primer, despite flagging the comment where you recommended it to me the first time. (Slacker) And then off to Amazon for Dragons Love Tacos. Too cute.

    Most importantly, such adorably squishy babies!!! Smooches to L & B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I have a firm 5" rule on shorts, but those look good on you, so I'm going to try them. Also, I have those Old Navy linen pants and I LOVE them. Just noticed the new teal color and I snapped them up, because they're seriously the perfect summer pant. My husband even loves them, and I thought he would think they were just acceptable day wear pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on the 5 inch shorts rule -- these definitely buck convention! Happy to hear the pants are a win! I ordered the real color!

      Delete
  9. Ohh, thanks for the rec on the shorts. Ordering now! I'll be in the same postpartum-in-Texas-heat boat in three weeks and was ecstatic to find some great looking heavy linen shorts at the J. Crew Outlet in Allen last week. Elastic waistband and long enough to avoid hootchieness. You may give that shot- they were 50% off last Friday.

    Loving the squishy baby photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo I wonder if they're online at Factory...must investigate! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Didn't you have a baby like last week?? You look friggen amazing!

    Is your top from Old Navy too? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Thank you!

      The top is Loft from last fall (I believe?).

      Delete
  11. You look great, and your kids are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am drowning in pool of pee over. (thanks weak v muscles) Thank you for the Friday laugh. The Never Ending Story and that creepy dog dragon, Falcor, gave me nightmares forever but I continued to watch it over and over again. And your mention of the FUPA had me rolling. Your babes are gorgeous! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always, you manage to make me almost pee on myself, funny friend. Glad the books are a hit, though if I read them pre-dinner, I always decide I am going to die if I don't have pizza/tacos right. this. second.

    Also, those shorts have been on radar for a month, and now I'm sold! You look great. Ordering today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We say "_____ gives me the happy screams!" quite often now! Also: "Poooooor Boom, all she wants in life is _______" (whatever we're eating that she's begging sadly for.). Love those damn books!

      Delete
  14. I am beyond thrilled with the shorts PJs you posted. I have been looking for a cheap (non-horrible looking) set forever. All of my pj pants are stretched waaaay out from being preg and hello post-partum hot flashes. Buying these right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am totally with you on the Soma pi's. I also love this style (https://www.soma.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=290&pageId=1&viewAll=true&productId=3570103689&prd=Embraceable+Cool+Nights+Lace+Sleep+Cami+Seabreeze&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=103&catId=cat40092&cat=&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=2&size=) - enough support once you get past the first month or so of breastfeeding - but still stylish and made me feel kinda pretty and SO comfy and have held up well. I just bought them for a friend's birthday too! And I think you look great as well - you can blame the shorts and skincare routine, but you look great with newborn and toddler!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!