Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Same & Different: Baby Gear Edition

Having kiddos just 25 months apart, we are really pretty set as far as baby gear goes... Our pack-n-play, bouncy seat, swing, monitor, play mat, infant car seat, umbrella stroller, snap-n-go base, and single jogger are all in great condition {although we did invest in a fabulous double stroller}, and B's been putting all of them to good use {well, PNP aside -- see below}!

There have been, however, a few new additions that have quickly become essentials... as well as some oldies that truly remain the goodliest of the goodies.  Ever a fan of baby gear chatter because I'm now officially old and boring, I've compiled a list:

The Newbies

Rock 'N Play Sleeper


These were brand new on the scene when L was born.  Other moms seemed to go absolutely apeshit for their RNPs, but I just didn't see the draw since we already had a bouncy seat and a swing.  As for the moms who let their babes sleep in them... well, that just seemed like a recipe for crib transition disaster!  So smug I remained in my Ivory Tower of Parenting Expertise with my baby who slept happily on flat surfaces...tra la la la la!  Enter B: mellowest little dude ever... until the sun goes down and you cruelly attempt to put him to sleep in something that is not the crook of your arm.  This time around, I got my cuddly baby, and my cuddly baby thinks the pack-n-play and crib can go straight to hell.  With no other viable options, we nervously co-slept for his first week of life... and then high-tailed it to Target for the Rock 'N Play... THANK YOU BABY CHEESUS FOR THE RNP.  B now sleeps happily for 4+ hour stretches in this contraption, and I'm now happily eating crow. Tip: Someone smart told me there are different versions of these things; don't spend your money on the deluxe version -- you're paying $20 more for cutesy bunny ears and nothing else.  Get whatever fugly pattern is the cheapest, cover it with a breathable blanket, and you're in business. 





In the Baby Wearing Department, we still love our Beco Gemini, but wanted a less structured carrier for the newborn phase.  We used a Moby with L, which we did like, but that thing is so damn cumbersome, and I really didn't want to be fumbling with all that fabric while wrangling a toddler.  I also wasn't a huge fan of how quickly the jersey material stretched out.  Having heard great things about ring slings, we went ahead and invested in the Maya brand, and I'm so happy we did!  It's so simple to use, and I wear B everywhere when I'm out and about with L {especially since I'm not supposed to be lifting the car seat for 6 weeks post-RCS}.  He feels snug and secure in there, and my hands are totally free to grocery shop or play. Maya's Guatemalan fabrics are gorgeous, tightly woven, and cool.  And I've somewhat mastered nursing in it {something I never did in the Moby}. The ring sling even gets E's stamp of approval! 

The Honest Company Diapers
While we are planning on giving cloth diapering another go with B, we are using Honest Company disposables until his chicken legs pork out enough for a good fit in our BumGenius 4.0s. These suckers are, admittedly, stupid-expensive compared to my much-beloved Target brand disposables {which we still use for L}.  And Jessica Alba seems about as down-to-Earth as Gwynnie P.  But between super-duper porous newborn skin and the large volume of tiny dipes we're pitching in the trash, HC diapers make my yuppy-hippie conscience happier.  Plus no blowouts or leaks {aside from those resulting from the changer's failure to, um, "point it down"... BOY PARTS ARE DIFFICULT}, and... tiny anchors and madras and foxes! So cute!  All the packs we've bought thus far came from Buy Buy Baby {coupons FTW} and a big Zulily sale, so I can't speak to the direct subscription experience, but I hear good things. 

The Ol' Faithfuls



Despite boasting the worst product name ever, my favorite "inner tube" is back in business and just as essential as it ever was with L {and I used it with her all the way up to 19 months!}.  Boppy-schmoppy, the MBF is the MVP of nursing pillows. 

aden + anais Swaddle Blankets


I am a self-dubbed a+a whore.  I love all their products fervently.  But their muslin swaddle blankets are the best of the best -- We now have 16, and I still manage to wash every single one once a week.  I use them for swaddling {B joins his big sister in the I Hate Swaddles with Zippers or Velcro Club}, changing pad covers {this is why I just added 4 more to our collection... again, BOY PARTS ARE DIFFICULT}, stroller / car seat blankets, nursing covers, ginormous burp cloths, sun shades, etc.  Tip: Products found at Target and Babies R Us that say "Aden by aden + anais" are a more economic offshoot of the original brand.  These blankets are smaller and less soft initially {although with repeated washing, they do get softer}.  If you're really wanting the blankets for swaddling, I'd go with the original "boutique" products -- they make for a tighter swaddle and they're cuddlier! 



Can one have too many boat totes?  We stand firmly in the Nope! Camp, so of course B got his own LE tote that we are currently using as our new diaper bag {our old diaper bag was L's tote which is now her school / overnight bag}.  The medium size with the zippered top is just right for our needs; it snugly fits diapers & wipes for both kiddos, a costume change for B, my wallet / keys / phone / small makeup bag, snacks, water bottle, small toy or book, and a muslin blanket we use as a changing pad / burp cloth / nursing cover.

Mamas of 2+, what did you invest in the second {or third or fourteenth!} time around?

16 comments:

  1. RNPS saved my life with DH due to her awful reflux- Deeds is digging it as well. I'm finally moving him to the crib at 12 weeks and he is transitioning fine. He was the same- anti crib at first! My new purchase this time? The podster! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003HIXOTQ?pc_redir=1398584134&robot_redir=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. We own an offensive number of boat totes. I'm so sad Land's End is phasing out their awesome boat tote diaper bag, as that thing is a WORK HORSE that I love so very much. And: high five for the plain RNP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really thinking about panic-buying the RNP as everyone seems to worship it. Hmm. Its in my Amazon cart now....again. Also forgot I need to shift up to the My Brest Friend after only having a Boppy and a lot of frustrated tears last time. Hoping to go in with better prep for BFing this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is the inside of the Boat and Tote? Is your stuff floating loose or are there pockets inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are pockets that circle the interior (that's where I keep my stuff - wallet, phone, etc) and a key clip. There aren't any super big pockets though. I keep dipes and wipes for each kid in a zippered wet bag so there's less stuff to dig through.

      Delete
  5. Your updates give me flashbacks since my kids are also 25 months apart :) I don't even remember anymore what I got new with Luke, except for a new bouncy seat (which I still don't get why it's that different than the rock-n-play) because our first one broke. I also found we used substantially less stuff the 2nd time around - never used a swing, no high chair (just used a booster with tray) and I loved that because we were in a TINY house at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the RNP is the one thing i tell EVERY expecting mom to get. Seriously it makes things SO easy. We also used it for our newborn when we would take road trips to visit the grandparents. So easy to move around and lightweight and baby slept in it so well, Scared about what will happen when #2 is born bc #1 is already eyeing the thing and asking to play with it (ours will be 28 mos apart...). Does L try to climb into it ever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't try to climb in it but she does like to put all her babies in there and sometimes gets pissed if he's using it! She tried to sit in the bouncer a few times but we just told her big girls don't sit in baby chairs, etc -- she hasn't tried it in a while!

      Delete
  7. We used a RNP for Drew (it wasn't around for Trent) and LOVED it. She had nasty reflux and would lose her mind in the Moses basket we used for Trent. It was so wonderful - I was worried too about the transition to the crib, but it went super smoothly. She started pushing against the RNP and was kind of 'wedged' in there, so I could tell she was uncomfortable {this was probably pretty close to 4 months}, and I tilted her crib at one end with books under it and just plopped her in her crib and she did amazing! RNP was probably my favorite 'new' contraption for #2. Well...I take that back - the Ergo was. I used a ring sling a ton with Trent but have literally ONLY used the Ergo with Drew and still use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RNP for the win! My chubster slept in that glorious creation until he was 5 months old {!!!}, and transitioned smoothly into his crib. I was Costco over the weekend and noticed they had Honest diapers {$40 for a large box}.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We deep loved our RNP with my first and will obviously try it again with this one on the way. I don't know if they have redesigned them but with ours the bottom "sling" did not come off for washing so after the first time we had a pee soak all the way through (which resulted in hosing the thing down outside) I put a waterproof pad between the bottom sling and the cover. That was my only complaint with the RNP. When my daughter got a little bigger we bought a universal toy bar and she would sit happily in it and play while I took a shower, cooked, ate etc. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ate my own serving of crow with baby #2 gear. I bit the bullet and bought the mamaroo after saying oh we don't need something like THAT, our travel swing is just fine. I was dead wrong. Our needy, always needs to be hold/touched to fall asleep LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After insisting the ergo was way better than the baby bjorn (that I never tried, mind you), we bought the bjorn synergy in white mesh and love it. Great for summer time, feels very secure and our son loves facing out, dysplasia be damned. Agree on RNP. Love bamboo Aden and anais though they get snagged easily. Also, noodle and boo wipes to get rid of the bfeeding spit up smell. Loved mintarrow.com ultimate registry list for all new and improved products since I had been out of newborn stage for four years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do your boat totes have the regular or long handles?

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!