Thursday, May 1, 2014

Day in the Life: Tuesday, April 28, 2014

I haven't done a DITL-style post since before we had L, but, being the creepy internet voyeur I am, I always enjoy them when others share the minutiae of their days... So I thought I'd play along!  

Tuesday, April 28, 2014
- I am 31
- E is 32
- L is 2 years, 2 months
- B is 4 weeks on the dot {happy birthday, buddy!}


1:03 a.m. - B starts fussing.  The French tell me American babies are crappy sleepers because we pick them up at every whimper, so I make like I'm in Paris and shut my eyes again. 1:09 a.m. - B says Fuck the French and starts howling. Diaper change; into the glider to nurse {all in the office right across from our room}.  I stay pretty happily zoned out during this first feeding, although I do start my notes for this post. This time around, I actually relish these late night feedings; I used to hear other moms say that and think they were obviously hyped up on speed balls, but I think I get it now.  While I know in my gut this will likely be my last child, he's such a dream baby that I can understand how others look at tiny newborns and instantly want another one.  I'm fighting that insane urge by savoring all our quiet alone moments instead of just muddling through.  {Okay, enough deep thoughts...} Second diaper change; burp; B passes out before I can top him off, which means he likely won't give me another 4 hour stretch.  1:40 a.m. - Swaddle; back in the RNP.  I refill my water, kiss E {who works late from home on weekdays} goodnight again, and climb back in bed. 1:46 a.m. - B isn't sure he wants to stay asleep, but a few rocks, and he's back out.  I'm asleep within minutes.


4:26 a.m. - I wake up in a panic that B is in bed with us and I've lost him under the covers.  This used to happen all the time with L.  He is safe in his RNP, crying heartily. Diaper; nurse.  Listen to a little Crazy Heart, Avett Brothers, then Fun "Sight of the Sun." Check Feedly.  Start pinning fancy popsicle recipes after seeing this post on 100 Layer Cakelet. Realize there's absolutely no way I'm roasting berries and concocting simple syrup to make a damn popsicle.  Check out terms for the Beyonce / Jay Z On the Run Tour presale.  5:19 a.m. - B is back asleep.  I read my Kindle for 10 minutes to get sleepy again. 5:28 a.m. - I put my phone up.  Both of my guys are snoring.  Awesome.

6:15 a.m. - B fusses.  I pull his arms out of the swaddle, give the RNP a few rocks, and he's back out.


7:15 a.m. - Now fussing for real.  Pull that little biscuit in bed with us.  Side nurse, which isn't really the most comfortable position for me but ensures he'll pass back out with me for at least another 30 minutes. I heard L talking to herself over the monitor at some point earlier, but now she's quiet.  B snoozes / cuddles / toots a bunch as is his morning ritual.  I check that my scheduled blog post is up and find several annoying errors but am too lazy and snuggly to edit via mobile. We hear L kicking her crib above us and E goes to get her up.

7:51 a.m. - Boom and L bust into our room to wake me up.  L runs to the RNP yelling "where Brady? I hear him!"  She climbs into bed with us and is quite pleased with his monkey jams - "monkey feet! monkey feet! cha cha cha! he so cuuuuuuuute!"  The morning's narration takes a sharp turn - "yogurt! Yogurt! YOGUUUUURT! Mommy GET UP!"


8:00 a.m. - E makes L breakfast {"Elmo sticks," yogurt, and blackberries}.  Boom barks at something, and E starts chanting "bite her, scratch her, sock her in the mouth," a little song he's inexplicably sung whenever she has a barking fit since she was a puppy {and, admittedly, annoys the heck out of me}.  Our little parrot also starts in - "bite her, scratch her, sockee in dah mouf."  Fabulous.  If she starts emceeing schoolyard brawls, we'll know who to blame. My pill reminder goes off.  I get up, leaving B checking out the ceiling fan in bed.  All of my shorts with elasticized waistbands are dirty, so I select the least offensive of the FUPA Transitional Shorts. I change B.  E and B have a man chat. L plays "cooking with forks."  I make coffee and mainline Energy Bite "Dough" while L begins chasing Boom around the kitchen island with a leftover French toast stick, yelling "CHASE CHASE CHASE!" B does some tummy time until he's angry enough to eat.

8:30 a.m. - B nurses.  Some sort of "MINE MINE MINE" obnoxious whining ensues upstairs while L attempts to get her Elmo out of her crib with E's help.  She settles down enough to come back downstairs and scarf the rest of a carton of blackberries.  There is an accidental sibling headbutting incident.


9:00 a.m. - L plays; E showers; L gets dressed.  Our amazing housekeeper arrives {an extravagance for which I shall forever happily budget}.  E leaves for work after "big hugs" and high fives.  B seems to want another snack.  L plays in the double stroller while I nurse him.

9:30 a.m. - All hell breaks loose as I try to get us all out the door for Whole Foods Story Hour.  L doesn't want to stop playing to pick out and put on her shoes.  Much whining and tantrum-ing.  Timeout for L while I strap B into his car seat... where he promptly starts screaming.  I'm pretty sure his tummy is bothering him, and I give him some gripe water.  He quiets right down.  L says she's sorry for not following directions and whining; everyone who can walk is now wearing shoes and ready to roll, 10 minutes off schedule.  No second cup of coffee or makeup for me.  "Big hugs" and besos for Lupita, and we're out the door.  Remember the gas light is on in my car -- 15 miles until empty.  I decide to live dangerously as we're already late.

10:02 a.m. - We arrive at the "big Whole Foos" slightly tardy after a very peaceful car ride {thank you, fruit leather and Pharrell's "happy song."}.  I pop B in the sling and we head inside. The place is absolutely packed. A friend discovered this story hour about 6 months ago -- a lovely lady named Barb reads a book and provides a craft while the kiddos eat a snack {tons of fruit, cheese, and cheddar bunnies... basically, we eat a free lunch here every Tuesday} and then there's a drawing for a $50 gift card.  There used to be maybe 10 kids + 10 parents max, but word got out and now it's more like 40 or 50 people total -- waaaaay too many for the space and the program. This really toasts my cookies as (a) who doesn't like stories, crafts, snacks, and gift cards, and (b) it's an easy way to work in a grocery run without an extra stop.  We skipped last week, because I just didn't want to fight the crowd, but L has been asking to see "Barb and her funny hat" for days so, today, I obliged.  We find our friends who were kind enough to save us a seat, and we score the very last juice box. Everything is super cramped and crazy.  The story is about an animal of indeterminable type and all the fun things he does with his mom.  We make some sort of Mother's Day lily out of pipe cleaners and hand tracings.  It's hard to follow the instructions with all the racket, so we go rogue.  L is very pleased with "mah hand flower."  My friend and I agree this might very well be the last time we attend -- sad panda. We will miss Barb, who remembers L every week and calls her "Elmo Girl."

Not sure why she's flashing her bloomers here.

10:45 a.m. - We extricate ourselves from the crowd and grab a cart to do our shopping.  L is quite bummed to find there aren't any cheese samples today.  A kind clerk overhears her saying "no cheese samples!" over and over again, and gives her a cheese stick. Bless that woman.  We checkout without any meltdowns over cookies or pushing credit card machine buttons.  I have returns to make at Old Navy, and L loves to see the mannequin dog, so we walk next door after putting the groceries in the car.  The return process is quick and painless; L immediately locates all the cheap toys Old Navy now carries {whyyyyyyy?!} and proceeds to give every stuffed animal hugs and kisses.

11:20 a.m. - B is starting to stir after being a total champ in the sling for nearly an hour and a half, so I quickly steer L away from her new besties and back to the car. Lots and lots of whining about wanting a snack {"I want snack! No cheese samples!"... OH THE HUMANITY!}.  B starts to fuss. Gas gauge now reads "--- miles to empty" so we have to stop.  Hysterical crying from both passengers.  I convince L to calm down and sing Twinkle Twinkle to B while I pump gas.  We finally head home while L tells me {AGAIN} about the little boy who threw the ball at the ceiling of the mall park and broke it and the ducks and turgles had to go away.  SIGH. B, who is possibly as sick of this story as I am, resigns himself to his fate and settles down.

12:10 p.m. - I unload both kidlets and the groceries.  I make L the lunch she insists she wants {leftover chile lime taquitos and raspberries}.  I change B and start nursing him.  L refuses to eat her lunch and demands yogurt.  Since she's already had yogurt and cheese, I pull the Mean Mommy Card and tell her she can't have yogurt unless she finishes her lunch.  No deal, mom.  I put B down for some play mat time, change L, and take her upstairs for her nap. As I put her in her crib, I tell her if she takes a long nap, we'll... "do something fun! go froyoyo!" she finishes for me.  Frozen yogurt is rather fun and sounds like a decent idea, so I don't correct her.


12:45 p.m. - L is down. B is still hungry, but I manage to heat up two taquitos for myself and eat them before nursing him.  I planned to get some thank you notes hammered out, but...


SNUGGLES.  I settle for some DVR action instead.  I haven't watched any of the new season of Hannibal, so I start that.  Um, damn.  So graphic.  I'm shocked this is on network television.  I instantly feel about 80 years old for thinking that.  I start typing up the morning's events for this post.  Throw some laundry in and load the dishwasher one-handed. Return emails.

2:45 p.m. - I check the monitor and L is awake, but laying down, snuggling her ya-yas, so I leave her in bed.  She's been falling asleep a half hour later and waking up 30 minutes to an hour earlier, so if she'll rest quietly in her crib after her nap, I'll take it.  I put some laundry up while B chills in the RNP.


3:15 p.m. - L is ready to get up.  We go downstairs and she spies B snoozingt and decides he needs to wake up, too.  Diaper changes for all!  I get L a snack {half a tortilla, raspberries, dried cherries} and put on some music {OCMS Wagon Wheel, by request}. I nurse B; L plays with her felt pizza kit -- B's car seat requires a pizza topping pile, apparently. I intended to do something outside this afternoon, but B is in a clusterfeeding mood and L wants to put her train track together. I help while B nurses. L moves on to Legos and makes a "biiiiig towah" for B. I chat on the phone with my mom, then Colleen. L wants to "see faces," so we FaceTime with Colleen and Ella. The girls compare potties {"Ella pink potty!"}.


After we hang up, L plays Pile All the Toys on B who is now snoozing in his bouncer.  Then she plays "go potty" with Elmo. So thankful for my independent player. I switch out laundry and unpack bulk dipes and wipes. 


5:00 p.m. - All of a sudden, L remembers we talked about frozen yogurt before her nap, and is understandably irate I haven't made good on that treat. I talk her off the ledge with some DTN. I make a super nutritious toddler supper since we're fresh out of leftovers and I'm not making {re: defrosting} our dinner until after L's bedtime. 


5:30 p.m. - L eats.  B and I play on the floor. L is so over the obsessive photographing of today's events. B gets a diaper change and then some tummy time.


5:45 p.m. - Dance party! L throws a tantrum because I won't let her step on the Boppy {which inevitably makes her fall down}. B nurses for a nanosecond and gets a bad case of the hiccups.  I give him gripe water and L throws a tantrum because "I want medicine too!"  I tell her it's bath time, and she throws another tantrum over that prospect.  Is it happy hour, yet?


6:15 p,m. - B nurses while L splashes in the bath.  We listen to Let It Go on repeat to distract L from the injustice of bathing.

6:30 p.m. - Daddy's home!  E gets L out of the bath and they go get the mail together.  I take care of a major Trash Situation that has been building on the steps into our garage.  We all sing the Clean Up Song and tackle the toy mess.


6:55 p.m. - Upstairs for books. E reads Happy Valentine's Day Mouse, and I read Dream Train Steam Train and Llama Llama Red Pajama. We put on fox jammies, and brush teeth. We sing Itsy Bitsy Spider {2x}, Bah Bah Blacksheep, Twinkle Twinkle, and It's a Small World {ug}. E and L "look for trucks" out the window.


 Big hugs and kisses for Mommy and Daddy. L requests a kiss from B. 


7:19 p.m. - Lights out for L. E and I head downstairs and turn on Brian. Start dinner {arugula pesto with charred tomatoes on top of TJ's frozen spinach tortellini}. 


Realize I'm starving and pick at leftover pie. Pour wine...from a box. Pure Class. Feel a headache coming on so I chug some water as well. 

7:50 p.m. - Dinner is served! We eat in the living room where E has set up camp for work. Watch 3 episodes of Parks & Rec. B snoozes through some tummy time, and then wakes up fussy. He nurses and bounces back and forth between me and E. I finish off the pie in the interim. 

9:15 p.m. - Clean up the kitchen. Change B into PJs. My headache kicks into high gear and I take an Ibuprofen. I nurse B, swaddle, and snuggle him. He's wide awake but happy so I set him in his RNP and get ready for bed. Head feels even worse so I take another Ibuprofen. Laying down makes it feel more terrible; this is perhaps the worst headache I've ever had. 


10:00 p.m. - B is fussy and gassy so he gets more gripe water. Moving makes me feel like my head will explode so I pull a druggie move and take one of my c-section hydrocodone after Dr Google assures me mixing my drugs won't make my eyeballs explode or kill my baby. I tell E I might be dying. As a sufferer of bad migraines, he appropriately commiserates but also thinks I'm being a drama queen {fair}. I nurse B in the rocker. He finally conks out. I lay as still as I can while Googling symptoms of sudden onset brain tumors. Drugs finally kick in enough for me to fall asleep around 11:30

1:45 a.m. - B is up! But my brain tumor is gone! Wahoo! 

Thanks for hanging in there with me, y'all...  Not the most exciting day, but a pretty accurate snapshot of our current lives!





27 comments:

  1. As a new mom of a baby, I can relate!!! However, it is my first baby, so I don't have the toddler to make things all the more complicated (but double the love!) When I am nursing my baby boy, sometimes I wonder what it will be like with my next baby when this baby is a toddler. I enjoyed this post so much! I think I will do one of these posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing a DITL post...these are always my favorites to read. Our day looks so similar to yours, except my toddler is not near as compliant or independent as L seems to be. I'll have to try that wine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds just like one of my days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commend you even getting out if the house. Holy crap! You're like super mom. Nursing and taking care of a toddler AND a newborn should qualify you for a front row parking spot at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  5. L's 5 pm face made me laugh out loud. Little bug! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her stink faces are now epic...if looks could kill, man! Can't wait until she's 14.

      Delete
  6. I always love reading these, too! Although admittedly the toddler stuff (read: tantrums and generally irrational behavior) frightens me of what I have in my future, ha! Glad y'all are settling in to your new life as a fam of 4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh this sounds so very familiar except I seriously actively avoided being alone with my 2 for like...... 6 months :) I'm very glad your sudden onset brain tumor was miraculously cured! Those debilitating headaches are THE WORST when you have to deal with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. So much fun to see what other moms go through. And how do I go to that Whole Foods 2x a week and I've never heard of the story time?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really don't advertise it much at all! It is listed on their Events Board near the bathrooms but I've never seen it posted online or anything like that. I guess the popularity is due to word of mouth!

      Delete
  9. Sounds so nice, I would like my two year old to lay quietly in his crib and/or play by himself-ha! Have to check if our whole foods does story time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky she's so good about independent play! She's usually totally fine if I'm up doing other things but pitches a fit if I attempt to get anything done sitting down (like anything on the computer). She's like a mini personal trainer in that regard!

      Delete
  10. Very important question - where did you get B's mini-madras shorts? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carters! So amazingly fratastic, right? I am obsessed.

      Delete
  11. I would like to know where you get L's bloomers. Why do toddler girls clothes not come with them any more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have several pairs left over from 18 and 24 mo sizes that still fit that we just rotate. I have no clue why toddler dresses don't include them -- that's who needs them most of all!

      Delete
  12. L's face... she's like wtf mom, this in NOT froyo! Also, where does one procure that large and fancy wine box?! I need that in my life as I am only a few weeks ahead of you in the two kids rodeo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whole Foods! Although I've seen it at other places that carry Big House brand bottles. Congrats on your #2!

      Delete
  13. LOVE it, keep these up for sure! I feel like Frozen and also Pharrell were in my DiTL recently, too. Sign of the times, I suppose. Oh, and I remember those panicked 'baby is under the covers somewhere and I loved lost her' feelings so well. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You forgot the part about replying at 2 am to the text I inevitably sent the group at 11 pm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was Wed night / Thurs morning. Otherwise it would have totes been included.

      Delete
  15. As someone with a baby on the way, this post was definitely exciting but also exhausting and overwhelming thinking about life will be like in a few years! Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I share your Internet voyeurism and love for DITL posts. Such fun to get a glimpse into someone's world. Life with two sounds exhausting and wonderful. L's face at dinner kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Man, I love these posts. I sort of makes me feel a bit like a stalker, but it's so fun! I need to do one.

    Also, what is it about the Old Navy Dog mannequin? M's OBsessed.

    Oh. And baby snuggles during L's naptime?? I'm super jealous. Soak 'em up!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whole Foods story time? I am researching immediately. You are adorable btw.

    ReplyDelete
  19. B really does look like Dad--especially in the Little Peanut onesie!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. DITL posts are my favorite. You know how in social media so many people present such a perfect life. I love the reminders that there are plenty of moms out there muddling through the day with me!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!