Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day Rehash

It seems as if it's en vogue to be above the Hallmarky-ness of Mother's Day. Have you noticed this? 

Is mamahood itself the greatest gift {yadayadayada}?  Of course. 

Do I need the day?  MmmmmmmNo. But I wholeheartedly support occasions that involve both breakfast meats in bed and toddler handprint art.  So, yep, I'll take my day. And a bacon sandwich. Please and thank you. 

We spent the weekend in Waco with both my mama and my Mama J. Any successes I have as a mother I owe entirely to their love and example, so it was a fitting and fabulous way to celebrate! We went to the zoo, my mom and I got pedicures {very first outing out of the house sans both kiddos!}, and generally enjoyed each others' company.   Although I remembered to pack the big camera, I managed to take zero photos with it, as is my traditional holiday custom. 


When E taught L to say "Happy Mother's Day," he must have instructed her to say "Happy Mother's Day, Mommy," as she repeatedly exclaimed "Mama J! Happy Mudder Day Mommy! J! Happy Mudder Day Mommy! Mommy! Happy Mudder Day Mommy!"  Cute.Est.Ever. 


We road tripped it back to Dallas on Sunday morning - West kolaches and Diet Coke tallboys in hand {THESE EXIST! HOW DID I NOT KNOW? To be uber lame and borrow a line from Wicked: "Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but...I have been changed for good." Cue the exuberant harmonizing! Seriously, my excitement is both scary and sad.}. 

Everyone took good naps {!}, and then it was off for a Greek feast and froyo. Both small fries were on their best behavior, and my heart grew two sizes at L's enthusiastic discovery of lamb and tzatziki sauce. Attagirl! 


Gorgeous flowers, delicious food, and love-it-so-much-it-hurts handprint crafts aside, I am most incredibly thankful for my two {TWO! Yay!} tiny crazies and for their dad for making me feel so special! Doing life with them is pretty damn great...even on the days when I don't get bacon in bed! 


{POST SCRIPT: THE BABY SLEPT SEVEN HOURS! CONSECUTIVELY! AT THE SAME TIME AS ME! BEST MOTHER'S DAY EVER!} 

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 7 hours of sleep! As someone whose baby didn't sleep more than 4 hours in a row until he was eight months old, that sounds like the best part of your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a HUGE part of a great day! L didn't sleep through the night until 11 months so I feel your pain! Of course, last night was not a repeat of Sunday, so I'm thinking fluke :(

      Delete
  2. Lovely Mother's Day - definitely the best part sounds like it was the SLEEP!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last picture is the best. Like, early motherhood of 2 kids distilled. And then to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not trying to rain on your parade here, but at first glance I thought the picture of L on the gorilla was her sitting a huge lawn/leaf trash bag and I thought, "That's a weird zoo." So glad you had a happy day and avoided large garbage receptacles. And to repeat one more, I SOOOOO miss Zizikis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that orangutan is not the cutest zoo statue of all time!

      Delete
  5. What a fun mother's day. I'm glad you got a little time to escape the love and treat yourself to some alone time with your own mama!!

    And those pictures of you and L at dinner are perfect. L cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOO HOOO for sleep!!!!

    And that pic of you and L with your heads touching at the restaurant? LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lamb and tzatziki, plus newborn snoozes? Perfection! I am currently wondering if I made up the fact that H used to sleep those lengths. Teething nightmares at our place... although with two extra-sharp ones finally through the skin, maybe she'll go back to her old ways? If not B needs to lecture her, stat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugggggg months 5 & 6 with L remain my "worst" (relatively speaking, of course) parenting months, and it was entirely to do with sleep regression. 100% Frustration Station! Come on, Hazel -- sleep is goooooooood!

      Delete
  8. Not the point at all of the post but TZATZIKI sauce... I constantly tell people I would swim in it if I could. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miles has a strong love for Greek food. Give that boy a Gyro and he goes to town.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!