Thursday, May 8, 2014

Pasta with Bacon, Asparagus, Shallots, & Peas

I'm having a Bad Sitcom Mom week. 

The tiniest is having his first "wonder week" {how did I live without this app when L was wee? I love knowing my baby isn't just being an asshole for sport!}, and his sister is, yaknow, two.  And I've had, shall we say, finer moments. 

Think: holey yoga pants, spit-up in the hair, diaper blowouts galore,* chocolate eaten on the sly in the pantry. 

If I made a drinking game out of cliched parenting phrases I've uttered in the past 2 days, they'd be pumping my stomach like a 98 pound college freshman after her first experience with malt liquor Power Hour. 

"Be gentle with your brother!"

"Let's use our inside voices, please!"

"Soft hands!"

"Mommy's trying to have an adult conversation; please be patient!" {take two shots}

"Inside voices!"

"No headbutting the baby!"

"If you're not over here by the time I count to three..."

"Don't poke him in the eye, please."

"One..."

"Stay on the sidewalk!"

"Two..."

"You're squeezing him too hard, sweetie."

"Three..."

"I SAID, INSIIIIIIIIIIIIDE VOICESSSSSSSSS." 



Ahhhhh, the infinite glamour of it all!  It's a damn good thing they're cute, right? 


It's also a damn good thing recipes like this exist!  Comforting and delicious as all get out, this pasta takes just enough time to prep that you feel like a semi-fancy adult... but not so long that the natives get too restless! 

Pasta with Bacon, Asparagus, Shallots & Peas
adapted from Gimme Some Oven

Ingredients
- 1 lb spaghetti or linguine
- 12 oz center cut bacon, diced
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large shallot, sliced thinly into rings, then halved 
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan + more for serving

Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions. Drain. 

Meanwhile, cook bacon over Medium-High heat {I used my dutch oven}.  Stir often to ensure bacon doesn't stick to the bottom.  When bacon is crispy, remove it with a slotted spoon to a plate covered in paper towels.  Add shallots to the bacon grease and saute for 3 minutes.  Add asparagus and peas and cook for another 5 minutes or so.  Remove veggies from pan with slotted spoon to your soak-up-the-extra-grease-plate.  Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scrapping up all the glorious brown bits at the bottom.  Continue cooking until wine reduces by half. 

Add pasta and veggies back to the pan.  Toss to coat with sauce.  Then add Parmesan and toss again.  Serve immediately with extra Parmesan.  

*Many thanks to Rory, Erin, and Colleen for being the type of friends who allow me to text them Blowout Selfies so I'm not tempted to vent on social media thereby preventing me from becoming That Asshole in Your IG Feed. 

6 comments:

  1. REMEMBER: You can fight a bear for a little while. But yes, when your second child is born you are definitely fighting a bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I'm in the same boat over here with my two year old and 9 week old. The toe year old is super whiny this week and we're trying to get the 9 week old to learn how to self soothe. So frustrating. The pasta looks delish though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe has everything I need to fix anything that might ail me: bacon, carbs, and wine. Sounds like perfection in a bowl.

    Every time I say "Use your listening ears," a little part of me dies. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 25 year old self hates me for all of the cheesy parenting phrases clogging my conversation wheelhouse.

      Delete
  4. Ha Ha Ha! I said the no poking so many times in the early days. Now it's holding hands. I'll lay K down next to A when I change her diaper and ask her to hold hands to occupy her from fighting me and say awww and she eats up being cute... well now shes always trying to hold hands and do like ring around the rosie when the poor kid is using her arms during tummy time then face plants and loud baby crying ensues :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord, I say all of those constantly. It's awful. Everyone says when the baby gets to be 6 months we will be able to remember our names. Let's hope. Wonder Weeks are a bitch, but so comforting when you realize that's what's going on.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!