Monday, May 19, 2014

tidbits of little consequence

I just ordered, what could potentially be described as, a fuckload of sensible swimwear {from Lands' End, naturally}.

Apologies to those with genteel social decorum.  This one just never gets old. 

Let's hope my hip pop culture references cancel out the possibility of me sporting a "dresskini" to the pool this summer.  I did stop short of ordering the tummy control briefs that hike up to my underboob, but couldn't really resist the idea of matching mother/daughter rash guards.


If they're good enough for Vogue, In Style, and L, they're good enough for me.  I'll report back.  Perhaps with photos if I can get my hands on a margarita or four. 

Speaking of reporting back, those Old Navy linen pants I was excited about?  Cute, but super duper long. I originally ordered a Long, and I would have been tripping not-so-merrily in even my tallest wedges {which put me two inches over 6 feet, sooooo...}.  I exchanged them for a Regular, and I am decently pleased with them {I would say overall they run TTS or a bit large} for the price point.  My post-partum FUPA and I are also very much enthused by these and these {the latter of which I was afraid would make me look like a wannabe Spring Breaker, but are pretty cute with flowy tunics}.  Well, I am as enthused as one can be about shorts whilst teamed up with said post-partum FUPA.  So, do with that what you will. 


We were so jazzed to have a quick visit with CSP while she was in town for a work event right down the road. We are all sad it wasn't longer, maybe L most of all -- now every time we pass the Arboretum, she sadly declares "Cah-ween go to party. I not invited. Parties has cupcakes." Any and all attempts to convince her a nonprofit fundraiser very well may not have included cupcakes are met with irate skepticism.


In baby brother news, I've officially packed up all one piece clothing smaller than 6 months. This seems unduly cruel given our biscuit is only 7 weeks old. No doubt he's a loooooong guy though, and even newborns say no to camel-toe. 

I was a bit concerned the other day B might be super sensitive to chocolate. By "a bit concerned," I mean "um, I seem to have misplaced my return address label for this baby; where might I procure another?"  Then I realized I'd eaten an embarrassing amount of dark chocolate -- like, a quantity that could take down a Great Dane. I've now resumed eating chocolate like a semi-responsible adult, and all is well. Whodathunkit. 

I finally got around to taking some shots for a birth announcement. While not the final selection, I still think this one is a major winner:

I can't even.

24 comments:

  1. I am so ordering myself a rash guard. Along with my search for board shorts, I may as well jump into the pool fully clothed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that rash guard and it is awesome! I even wore it pre-baby but didn't fully appreciate it's glory until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Lands End swimwear. I have the same rash guard and love it, though I wish I'd ordered a smaller size. (It fits more like a normal shirt, and I'd though the rash guard should be a little tighter.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have relegated myself to the Lands of End for all swimwear going forth. I just cannot even deal with swimwear from anywhere else.

    The last pic of B... That just totally made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love my Lands End suit... except it's too short in the torso! I'm short-legged and long-tummied so I need to send it back and figure out my sizing with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice some of their styles had a "long" option! I last have a super long torso.

      Delete
    2. Hmm, that should be "I *also have a super long torso."

      Delete
  6. I'm not post partum, just a giant. I swear by LE swimwear (anxiously awaiting an overnight package for a trip this weekend) and have both those ON shorts and pants! Love that the pants are gorgeously long enough on my gams (for flats at least!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. B is so cute I can't even stand it!!

    ALSO. Talk to me about rash guards. Do I need to buy one for S? She got a couple cute baby swimsuits from her grandma but now I'm seeing rash guards everywhere and starting to feel like a Bad Parent for not knowing these were a thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How often / long will she be out in the sun? This is the first year I've purchased a rash guard for L since she's now at the age where she wants to be in the water & direct sunlight for hours at a time, and they just make sun protection that much easier. I wished last summer I'd bought one bc we swam practically every day and I was constantly reapplying sunscreen. Definitely wasn't as necessary when she was a baby bc we'd mostly chill out in the shade and she couldn't complain ;)

      Delete
    2. Just saw this, thank you! I ended up ordering a couple from Target just in cases. Also, because they're cute and I am a shameless consumer.

      Delete
    3. "Just in cases" made me smile and long for Christmas Love Actually Viewing Season!

      (If you tell me that's a typo, I'm going to be really sad.)

      Delete
  8. those jonah gifs are everything. can't get enough veep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jcrew and Jcrew factory have a great selection of matching mother/daughter swimwear online. They don't market it as such, so you have to hunt for it. You can also strike lucky sometimes and find matching dresses at factory. Right now they have a navy/anchor swimsuit for mom/daughter, a navy striped dress combo, coral scalloped dress and matching navy seahorse shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooooo! Good to know, thank you!

      Delete
  10. I'm in desperate need of some sensible swimwear myself. Does LE run pretty true to size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems from the reviews it does! This will be my first time ordering their swimsuits.

      Delete
    2. It does! You know how you have to size up for bathing suits? In Lands End you can wear your regular size. I am obsessed with my rash guard- I feel so sporty and cool. Versus postpartum, so that's cool.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for the way you write. Your sense of humor is amazing. I'm 15 weeks pregnant with my first, and always love your take on products-for mom and baby. Any recs for maternity swimwear? I currently am limited in activity because of placenta previa, but am still hoping to swim for exercise this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The majority of both my pregnancies have been in the winter so I haven't had much need to maternity swimwear, but I did wear a swimsuit on vacation this go 'round at 33 weeks. I just bought a black bikini from Target (Merona brand) in a size larger than I normally wear -- it was actually the best I've felt in a swimsuit in forever; my belly didn't jiggle! If you're looking for something with more coverage, I've heard good things about Old Navy's maternity tankinis!

      Delete
  12. The dresskini sounds perfect for the mother of a toddler. We have to do so much more chasing/interacting at the beach, pool and splash park. It sounds like a great idea to me, I'm going back and forth on a swim skirt from le to wear to the splash park.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to hear the LE swimwear reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Must comment on L's ponytail! OMG - cute!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!