Friday, June 6, 2014

5 on Friday: 30 Minute Meals

If food is my love language, then cooking is a big ol' sloppy French kiss I give myself.

{Huh.  That didn't come out quite right}

Awkwardly graphic Forced metaphors aside, time spent in the kitchen is really great for my head space.  I've appreciated every last, delicious morsel dropped off by family and friends since B's birth... Casseroles, salads, cookies, pies, coffee cakes, fancy takeout -- if I were a person who threw around the word "blessing," they'd all qualify, having filled our bellies and lessened some of those frantic taking care of basic human necessities moments during the rosy-yet-harried spankin-new-bambino days.  

But, man, it felt good to get back in my culinary groove.  Don't be fooled, our freezer is still well-stocked with there is no fucking way I can manage anything edible this evening meals, and the Campisi's delivery guy could probably find our house blindfolded, but, if our newest tiny human can slow his roll on the witching hour(s) for just a tick or two, I can usually throw together something to feed our faces and decompress a little at the same time.

Since Baby Containment Devices often fail between the hours of 5 and 9 pm, ain't nobody got time for Boeuf Bourguignon at the moment.  Thankfully, I've found a few new recipes that go from Prep to Serve in between Brian Williams' "tonight, on Nightly News..." and his sign-off "goodnight." Bonus Points if I can fast-forward through all the commercials.  For today's link-up, here are 5 that get a major thumbs-up from us:

1. One Pot Tomato Basil Farro


Really, Deb can do no wrong.  This is like some sort of fabulous risotto primavera, but with way less stirring.  And better for you.  I make this exactly as written but sub chicken broth for water if I happen to have a box languishing in my fridge {highly likely}.  And I add a very large decent amount of Parmesan.  


2. Lemon Gnocchi with Spinach and Peas


This is one of those dishes that should be illegal for looking so fancypants after only taking about a nanosecond to throw together. I would even deem this Company Worthy, although you don't want it sitting.  Gobble immediately. 

3. Crispy Veggie Quesadillas
Cooking Light

Apologies for the lack of photo.  Picture a quesadilla, but... spinach-y-er.  These have such an amazing flavor, and I would never think to add another grain to a quesadilla, but the quinoa-rice blend is a great binder.  If you can find fire roasted corn in the freezer section, use that fo' sho'.  L gobbled up these leftovers for lunch, and girlfriend can usually spot a vile leafy green coming from a mile away. 

4. Teriyaki Stir-Fry


Shoddy photo, solid dish.  I feel like I always make stir-fry and then am pretty "meh" about the end result... This is great.  And easy.  And unlike a lot of Asian sauce recipes, you don't need a zillion specialty ingredients (Mirin was the only thing I didn't have already in my pantry).  I doubled the peas and used the green parts from an entire bunch of green onions. Next time, I'll do a bigger variety of veggies.  I also used 2 bags {4 cups} of Trader Joe's frozen basmati rice instead of cooking my own.  3 minutes to perfect rice?  Please and thank you. 

5. Green Onion, Corn, & Squash Naan Flatbreads


I mean... SO GOOD.  I can't say enough about these.  Make them posthaste.  They totally work as a main meal with a side salad, or they'd be great cut into strips and served as an appetizer for guests.  So pretty and summery, too -- grill marks make everything look impressive.  I used the mozzarella and Parm I already had in my fridge as well as dried tarragon instead of fresh.  REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE.


10 comments:

  1. Bookmarked! I always need a good, quick meal. And I like that many of them are veggie-centered. I'm far from a vegetarian but I'm trying to work more veggies and less meat into our routine. This will help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm - the naan bread looks bomb, and does the farro....

    I made a Quiona Enchilada Bake last night.....maybe a 15 min time sucker, and oh...so....good. Here is the recipe if it's speaks to you: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/black-bean-and-quinoa-enchilada-bake/

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I needed some new ideas. These all look delicious and full of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've missed your cooking posts! Not that there aren't a million cooking blogs out there, but I guess we have similar taste and cooking styles because everything you post always looks so good to me, and I've gotten so many solid dinner ideas from you over the years! Thanks for carrying on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you do something different to your gnocchi sauce? Your's looks thicker and more delicious than the epicurious picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never felt the need to use any of the reserved gnocchi water to thin the sauce! Sorry, I should have included that little adaptation!

      Delete
  6. I am so saving these! During the fall/spring when I'm teaching I need easy meals - also I am so needing that gnocchi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bookmarked! Also foundries while perusing ye old web. Sounded like a good one too.
    http://www.simplyscratch.com/2013/12/pan-toasted-gnocchi-with-bacon-leeks-and-fresh-tomato.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. That farro looks so good! I'm going to try it out with quinoa or rice. Ah, the glories of living in a small town where we don't have craaazy grains like farro or barley for sale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey gal! i am contacting people that linked up in the last 5 on friday linkup...that has since been put on hold for the summer. well...if you were interested, a friend of mine and i are starting it back up! the first one will be live this friday morning! prepare your post! :) it's going to be called "oh hey, friday!" it'll be the exact same rules. write about five anythings. hope to see you there! karli from http://farmerbell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!