Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tomato, Shallot, & Mozzarella Tartiche*

* Tart + Quiche, yes? I have absolutely no idea if this is A Thing, but let's just roll with it.

not the greatest quality, but worth a gander -- 
can't beat Guy Clark on {what I believe to be?} old school Austin City Limits

Homegrown tomatoes, homegrown tomatoes
What'd life be without homegrown tomatoes


... Or without grandmothers that refuse to smooch your face goodbye without pushing a shoebox of said garden fresh 'maters into your hands.  I'll happily eat them just as my grandfather used to - sliced with  Durkee Famous Sauce - or just some salt and pepper, but I decided to go out on a limb and "put 'em in the middle" with some mozzarella and shallots.  


True love is grand and all, but, damn, three cheers for homegrown tomatoes. 

Tomato, Shallot, & Mozzarella Tartiche

Ingredients
- 2 lady-fist-sized homegrown tomatoes
- table salt
- prebaked pie crust {I like Wholly Wholesome brand whole wheat - in the frozen food section}
- heaping T. of whole grain mustard {I'm a Maille fan}
- 2-3 T. heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced {I used the little balls - "ciliegine" - and cut them each in half}
- 1 shallot, sliced into rings 
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 t. garlic salt
- 2 T. finely chopped chives
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan 

At least 3 hours prior to assembling tartiche, prep tomatoes -- slice thinly, discarding the ends {I got three slices from each tomato}. Lay in a single layer atop a plate lined double-lined with paper towels.  Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain, flipping once after an hour or so. I actually let mine drain for about 6 hours {I even switched out the paper towels when I flipped}, as I prepped at naptime. Draining is SUPER IMPORTANT -- skipping this step will result in a soupy mess and, if you're emotionally attached to your supper, an embarrassing amount of tears.  I know this from experience. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix cream and mustard together, and spread in a thin layer on the bottom of the pie crust. Arrange tomato slices, mozzarella, and shallots on top of mustard cream. Whisk egg whites and yolks together and stir in garlic salt and chives.  Pour egg mixture into crust and sprinkle Parmesan on top. 

Cover tartiche with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.  If your tomatoes are extra juicy, you might need to keep baking {recover if your crust is browning too much for your liking} -- just keep rocking out at 5 minute intervals and checking it.  

Serve immediately. Excellent with a simple green salad dressed with vinaigrette {I'm partial to mustard!}. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks SO delicious - I love the addition of shallot. I put "tartiche" recipe up today too!
    http://thechardonnaykitchen.blogspot.com/2014/07/ricotta-goat-cheese-tomato-tart.html

    What kind of tomatoes does your gma grow?

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!