Saturday, August 2, 2014

Day in the Life: July 31, 2014

I thought long and hard about publishing this one.  7/31/14 was not our best day...by a long shot.  L behaved badly, I behaved badly -- it's not necessarily a day I want to remember.  But it's real life, and I really wanted to participate in Navigating the Mothership's DITL Round Up, and I already put in the effort to take the photos and the notes, sooooo... I'm hitting Publish for posterity.  Maybe I'll look back on this day in 15 years when both my nuggets are crazy teenagers and roll my eyes at 2014 Kate and how easy she had it with the cranky toddler.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Kate is 31
Evan is 32
L is almost 2.5
B is a day shy of 4 months {SOB}

6:30 am -- Brady is up to eat after being asleep since about 9:30.  Way to go, little buddy! We may be tiptoeing into the "4 Month Sleep Regression" as he's been waking up around 4am for the last few nights, but I still can't complain one lick about his night sleep.  I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for a possible uptick in MOTN wakeups in the next few months, but I'm still 800% more rested now than I was when L was this age. For that I remain eternally grateful! We nurse in the rocker in the office, I check email, read my Skimm for the day as well as some of the linked articles for more newsy details, and read a bit of my new book. I put a snoozing B back in bed at 7:00.  E gets up with L around this time, while I read in bed until 7:30.  Not at bad start to the day {har-har}!

7:30 am -- I make coffee and breakfast {overnight chia oats -- I've now perfected the recipe with unsweetened vanilla coconut milk, raw walnuts, and fresh grind honey roasted peanut butter + fresh fruit. I'm obsessed and look forward to breakfast every day now!} and take my slew of pills {still rocking out with that freeze-dried ute meat!}.  E says L woke up pretty whiney... Ruh roh. E reads L a Bernstein Bears book about "the gimmes." We both hate this book as, in the end, Mama & Papa Bear buy the cubs one treat EVERY time they go to the store {instead of multiple treats}... WTF kind of message is that, Bernstein Bears?  Suffice to say, we change the ending each time we read it, but I think L is getting wise to the fact that the words never sound exactly the same way twice.  We'll have to burn this book before she can read. 

I pump and play Play-Do with L and she makes cookies for a picnic with E.  Then, the top to the Play-Do morphs into a water table and three Tigeys play in it -- I love this child's imagination!  There is some frustration with a runaway trolley, and L gets to a "2," but gets control of herself before "3" {which = Time Out. We are doing 1-2-3 Magic and love it 90% of the time.  The other 10%, I feel like maybe I'm not talking enough with her about her emotions... Discipline is hard.}.  E and L play trolley. 


8:10 am -- I'm finished pumping {20 minutes = 4 oz.  Not terrible, not great... I'm hoping to have a stash of at least 50 oz before we leave for ATL for a wedding next week.  B is coming with us, but I'll be out of pocket for most of 2 days} -- I pack up the milk for the freezer and wash pump parts.  L eats yogurt on the kitchen island, as is her custom. The Boom barks and wakes B up -- Terrier for Sale. E gets him up and changes his diaper, while I make the bed and recycle all the junk mail that accumulates in the art nook. Then it's time to clean up the kitchen and start the dishwasher. 


L plays with stickers {"on the paper or on yourself, not on the walls, please"} and B chills on the playmat. I thumb through the Mini Boden catalog and mentally spend all our monies of tiny fall wardrobes.  L wants to practice her somersaults while E showers so I play Bela Karolyi on our bed.  B screeches so L and I go check on him.  L assures me "I not going to step on him! I read him this books!" before whacking him in the head with said book.  MORE COFFEE. 


9:00 am -- On his way out the door, E tells me we all need to go to the dermatologist, because he heard something on NPR about moles {I have a few} and now thinks I'm sure to perish and leave him to raise our children by himself like George Clooney in The Descendants.  Except for I'm not cheating on him or into high octane water sports and he isn't entrenched in a Rule Against Perpetuity battle royale {Law-Nerds-Alert: We love that detail in that movie}.  Oooooo-kay.  Kisses for E and off he goes to work.  I pull some grated zucchini out to defrost for a new recipe I want to try for dinner... I've never frozen zucchini before, and I'm giving this a 50/50 chance of success.  I get dressed while B does tummy time and L makes "lattes" {she's been doing this a lot lately and also asking "mama, want a latte?" every time we pass a Starbucks... maybe I need to rethink my latte intake.}. 


9:08 am -- I am halfway dressed when I hear "MY LATTE IS WEEEEET."  Upon investigation, I realize L tried to fill her little cup up at the refrigerator water tap.  The damage could be way worse. I clean up the dribbles, then nurse the now-screaming baby while L brings us books.  L demands to go up to the playroom, and I tell her "not right now" = chin-butt to B's head = automatic time out.  She is not pleased. 


9:20 am -- After I finish nursing B and L cools down, we head up to the play room.  B bounces and L dismantles the entire {very clean} space. 


9:40 am -- We head back downstairs to finish getting ready for our morning activity.  B goes in the swing, while I locate an actual shirt that one might wear in public.  I decide to forgo makeup in favor of hitting up White Rock Coffee {"mama, want a latte?"}.  Diaper changes for both kiddos and new clothes for L. B isn't super happy; if we were staying home, it would be naptime for him -- hopefully he can catch some Zzzs in the car and in the carrier while we're out. I definitely have a bit of second-child-guilt in regards to this schedule {or lack thereof}, but his sister would go stir-crazy and send us all to the loony-bin if we didn't get out of the house most mornings. I suppose his taste of "only-child-dom" will come in the Fall when she's in preschool -- we'll lounge then, buddy! 


Halfway out the door, we stop to take a quick selfie, because L wants to do a "happy face"...

Nailed it. 

I grab Sophie for B to gnaw on, and L decides Sophie is her Most Favorite Toy Ever.  Obviously.  We actually own 2 Sophies, so everybody wins.  Everyone is in the car by 10 am -- It's a Christmas-in-July Miracle.  To celebrate, we take the long way so L can look at the construction vehicles working on the new grocery store and Y.  We stop at WRC {"mama, want a latte?" WHY YES, YES I DO}.  I'm a sucker and buy L a kid's smoothie in hopes I can enjoy my iced latte and B can snooze in peace.  Sadly, the smoothie is super icy and the straw is super long so I spend the majority of our car ride implementing my Go-Go-Gadget-Arms at every stop light in order to help her swoosh the smoothie around.  L regales me with a new made up tune "taco meat! taco meat!" sung to the tune of "Applebee" from her Kitty Cat Piano.  {?? I have no clue. Toddlers are awesome.} "Happy" and "I'm So Fancy" also come on the radio so it's a good soundtrack day for L. 


10:35 am -- We pull into the Walnut Hill Rec Center parking lot and unload.  B goes into the Becco, and L holds my hand and points out her friend Daniel's car.  The line is ridiculously long because the Parks Department decided to up the entry fee to $7 and refuses to make change {and the credit card machine takes forever}.  Leslie Knope would not stand for this. We finally make our way inside, take off our shoes, and have at the equipment. I find my friend C, hoping for some uninterrupted adult chatter... such naivete!  L almost immediately starts whining and really wants me to follow her everywhere and tell her how to play.  We've been attending this Toddler Open Gym almost weekly for over a year, and L juuuuuust recently started being really comfortable with the bigger activities {trampolines, bouncy houses, etc}.  She's actually an awesome independent player at home, but she tends to be timid when we're out and about, even when we're someplace super familiar. Since she's not in the greatest of moods, the clingyness is especially bad today.  B is hungry, so we nurse while I suggest fun play options for L.  After breaking for a snack, she finally warms up and jumps, scoots, bounces, etc. 


B conks out 10 minutes before playtime is over.  Naturally. 


11:50 am -- We gather our gear, fill our water bottles, and head back out to the car.  I make a successful Sleeping Baby Transfer into the car seat -- this has happened approximately NEVER in my entire parenting career. 3 cheers!  We make our way to Hwy 75 and L becomes randomly fixated on a white van riding next to us.  The van disappears and this displeases her.  B starts fussing and L loses it immediately -- "BRADY CALM DOWN BRADY BE QUIET."  B actually does quiet down, but L's cool is pretty much gone.  She throws Sophie and her shoes right as we pull into our driveway.  I try the 1-2-3 Magic, but I get to 3, so it's Time Out Time. 


12:15 pm -- I change B's diaper while L does her TO.  The fits she throws during Time Out seriously frighten me.  It takes all my willpower to ignore it.  When the timer goes off, I pick L up and take her upstairs for her nap, while B sits {um, screams} in the swing.  Phew.  I nurse B while checking IG and penning an email to a potential babysitter for B {I'm looking for someone to keep B one of L's preschool days so I can work child-free on some contract legal projects -- I'm pretty excited about Adult Brain Time!}.  

12:30 pm -- B is asleep!  I enjoy the cuddles for about 15 minutes, then transfer him to the PNP {this is the first time I'm attempting it for a nap instead of the RNP, swing, or my arms}.  12:50 pm -- I close the doors to our room, let the Boom out to pee, and pop last night's leftovers in the microwave.  

12:56 pm -- I guess our door wasn't latched completely, because our A/C switches on and causes the door to make a huge slamming noise. B promptly wakes up. I pop the paci back in his mouth and hope for the best.  Head back into the kitchen and note the defrosting zucchini is looking super mushy.  I make the executive decision to trash the zucchini and fix frozen tamales for dinner.  I hate wasting food, but I guess I gave it the old college try.  B is now shrieking.  I reswaddle and put him into the RNP because obviously PNP is not going to cut it. RNP doesn't work either... at least he seems smiley: 



I bring B into the kitchen with me so I can eat my {now twice reheated} lunch.  E calls to discuss making an appointment with the flooring people to pick out carpet for our living room {yep, 11 months post-Flood-2.0, our living room is still ripped up}.  L wakes up screaming right as he calls.  I get snippy on the phone.  By the time I'm off mere minutes later, L is back asleep {poop?}.  I eat half my lunch before B starts fussing again.  He goes back in the RNP, but just will not settle down.  


1:43 pm -- I move us both to the couch where I switch on Teen Mom 2 {can't stop, won't stop}. I try to nurse B back to sleep; no dice.  I call E back and apologize for being an ass on the phone.  I seriously consider busting open the potty training M&Ms as B fusses. In lieu of candy-coated chocolate, I indulge in my favorite guilty pleasure... scoping Austin real estate.  Saltillo tile and a stone fire place in my preferred school district?  Yes, please! {Dream on, Blue Moon...}


2:15 pm -- B is D-O-N-E.  I finally nurse him to sleep.  2:40 pm -- L is crying for me upstairs.  2:48 pm -- Successful RNP transfer.  I retrieve L... POOP.  Diaper change and Popsicle Time. She seems crankier than she did this morning, which is a bummer. 



2:55 pm -- B is crying {DRATZ}. I try to soothe him back to sleep, but it's a no-go.  Naps are seriously becoming my nemesis.  I change his diaper and pop him in the swing while I unload the dishwasher. 


3:08 pm -- B is asleep in the swing!  Hallelujah! I convince L to go upstairs to play.  We build with some Legos, go to "Whole Foods for cookies" in the Cozy Coupe, and have "birthday parties with cupcakes."  We have some really cute moments and some really, really bossy moments.  She gets quite antsy and wants to go downstairs, but I refuse to disturb the slumbering baby, so I tell her we can play in B's room.  Any opportunity to get her paws on Brother's stuff is golden!  We also FaceTime with J -- L wants to see all her toys at J's house as well as "J's speakers where the music comes out."  J is a saint and acquiesces to her demands. 

4:50 pm -- B is awake; 1 hour and 40 minutes of snoozing?  I'll take it!  We go downstairs, let the Boom out, and play with B on his blanket.  I put away the clean dishes I unloaded earlier and take the tamales out to boil.  L watches some Daniel Tiger. I nurse B. 

5:45 pm -- I fix L's dinner while she wanders around touching things and whining. She sits down at her table to eat tamales, cheese, and raspberries. B is happy as a clam on his blanket, nomming on his feet and moose.  I slice some yellow squash to go with our tamales. L asks for more raspberries; we are out of raspberries -- I offer peaches instead.  Peaches it is!  When I deliver said peaches, she goes apeshit because the peaches she was excited about 30 seconds ago are not raspberries. After counting to 3, she gets a Time Out.  She throws her books on the way to sit on the bottom step and gets an extra minute added to the normal two.  The fit thrown is too sad to document. I am pretty sure this is the most TOs she's had in one day ever. Yay for being 2 and tired :( 


6:10 pm -- L can't quite seem to recover from the last Time Out and seems to be purposefully asking for things she knows she can't have {snack food after she says she's finished with dinner, more TV time, etc}.  My patience is waning, and I end up yelling at the dog for something stupid to avoid snapping at my poor, exhausted child.  B startles at my raised voice and cries.  I feel like a majorly Shit Mom. 

6:18 pm -- After L calms down a little, the three of us read on our bed.  L picks a Peter Rabbit "touch and feel" book that E and I affectionately refer to as "The Ticklish Pedophile Book." If you read it in a creepy voice, it's quite disturbing. "Tickle, tickle, purr, purr; Slowly, gently stroke my fur!"


6:25 pm -- Bathtime. L runs around in her diaper screaming "I A NAKEY  BABY!" She actually seems to be enjoying her bath once I manage to get her in {many days she is over the bath before it even begins} and plays a cooking game with her water cups {"I making spaghetti water and raspberry soap!"}.  

6:45 pm -- E comes home and gets L out of the bath.  She is not pleased to have her game interrupted.  Even getting the mail with Daddy doesn't appease her.  At this point, I stop taking photos of her because she's gone so far down the meltdown trail it's not really fair to document.  We do a very abbreviated bedtime routine {2 short books instead of 3 long ones, no looking at trucks or flying with Daddy, quick teeth brushing, and quick songs}.  At some point, she gets another TO for hitting E.  It's a banner day for Time Outs, and I'm feeling a little hopeless on the discipline front today.  Some days I feel like having two kiddos under 3 isn't so hard, but days like today leave me constantly second-guessing myself -- is each child getting the attention they deserve from me? Is my toddler's behavior reflecting my inabilities? Have I ruined L's life by bringing B {who she's generally not crazy about} into our family? What if I'm stunting B somehow by never being able to give him uninterrupted one-on-one time? Would we all be better off if I went back to work? Am I overthinking everything again? {UNDOUBTEDLY SO}


7:20 pm -- L is asleep.  I tried to nurse B while E and L were reading books, but he wasn't too interested -- I think he's about had it with today, too.  I quickly make the rest of dinner after we all come downstairs {saute yellow squash, nuke Seeds of Change Spanish Rice packet, and throw the tamales on top -- not bad at all for a zero effort meal}.  Brian and the news on DVR keep me company in the kitchen while E keeps B occupied -- diaper and PJ change; E picks an old sleeper of L's and it makes me nostalgic -- love those yellow and gray turtles. 


7:32 pm -- Switch the news over to the living room DVR and serve dinner on the couch. B is at the end of his rope; I nurse him and he immediately conks out. I swaddle him and get him settled in our room in the RNP; this is a super early bedtime for him, so we'll see what this means for his MOTN wake-ups.  I'm just glad he's getting some rest {and I'm getting a moment without another tiny human being touching me for the first time in 13 hours - wahoo!}. Finish my dinner; finish the news. E isn't enthused by much on our DVR {not a Teen Mom 2 fan, apparently} and Fixer Upper is a rerun {that show might seriously convince me to move to Waco and stalk Joanna Gaines for her friendship and hair tips}, so we go with Seinfeld reruns. 


8:26 pm -- We hear baby protestations coming from the bedroom; SIGH.  Poor kidlet!  He's not having any RNP soothing, so I bring him back out with us.  Nurse him again and he passes out.  More Seinfeld and baby snuggles. I upload photos to Blogger for this post.  


9:25 pm -- I think B is truly out for the evening.  Same song, 67th verse...swaddle, RNP.  I clean up the kitchen.  Pump Round 2.  9:50 pm -- Done with the pump {2 more oz.}.  Pop pump parts into the fridge to keep fresh for tomorrow.  Kiss E goodnight {he'll be working on the couch until much later, as is his weekday ritual}.  I get ready for bed and read a bit more before falling asleep {probably within about 7 minutes}. 


4:02 am -- Brady Back Ribs is up and kickin'! 

30 comments:

  1. This sounds eerily similar to my days. Owen is a pretty decent napper (much better than his big brother), but not a great night sleeper. He will be 5 months next week, so I'm not sure if it's the 4 month sleep regressions couple weeks late or what. But man, I'm tired! Bennett goes back to school next week and I'm looking forward to some one-on-onetime with Owen too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always hate to be all "Yay for shipping L off to preschool!" but... YAY! I think it'll be a positive change in the routine for everyone! Here's hoping you get some sleep soon!

      Delete
  2. Delurking to say: Mama, you are doing great! Your kids are healthy, clean, curious, confident, and loved. That's something to be proud of. Days like this happen to everyone, and I thank you for your honesty.

    (Also: I scoffed at the dermatologist too, until melanoma at 27. Go.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment! And I will make that derm appointment...

      Delete
  3. I love that you did this!!! And duh, loved the post itself. L's dramatics and B's unwillingness to nap remind me of life around here. And the overanalyzing everything---yes. Keep these up! My DiTL also recorded a particularly 'bad' day with baby P, but I published it anyway like you because EFFORT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those photos and notes were NOT going to go to waste!

      Delete
  4. Long time reader, first time commenter... :) Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the less than perfect view of motherhood- I often read DITL posts and feel guilty for being a mere mortal and not supermom. So thanks for keeping it real! Also curious as to when you started implementing 123 Magic with L? My daughter is about to turn 2 and I feel like I need more of a game plan when it comes to behavior/discipline. This is the second blog in a week where I've seen 123 Magic referenced with fairly good results so am thinking I'll give it a whirl. Finally, would like to know more about your experience with overnight oats-- I see them everywhere (ahem, pinterest) but cold oatmeal does not sound all that appealing to me so curious as to what it is really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just started it a few weeks ago, and I really think it's a great "program" if you keep consistent (I have some trouble with this because I naturally want to talk more than is advised). It claims it's appropriate for ages 2 to 12 and there are suggestions for the youngest kiddos...so if you're interested, I definitely say give it a shot!

      I do the overnight chia oats (4 T chia seeds, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2 cups milk -- I use unsweetened coconut milk; the original recipe is for almond milk). This makes enough for 2-3 servings depending on what you top it with (granola, nuts, but butter, fruit, honey, a combo, etc). It doesn't taste a bunch like traditional oatmeal -- it's more like a...chunky pudding? But not as sweet? I know that description doesn't sound all that delicious, but I'm a huge fan! It keeps me full for hours but doesn't feel heavy!

      Delete
  5. I think you are doing a great job and it is obvious what a thoughtful and purposeful parent you are. I'm fascinated by DITL posts and really loved this one! My daughter just turned one and we are having baby #2 conversations (sooner than I'd like but...fertility issues...so time is not my friend!) I truly appreciate the honest glimpse into what life with 2 can be like at times. Kinda scary but I'm assuming the good outweighs the not so good. I hope L's rough day was followed up with a happier one and thank you for hitting 'publish'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good definitely outweighs the bad -- don't be frightened at all! And the next day was much better!

      Delete
  6. I just love you. I laughed out loud twice because your life is too like mine. Yes, I ate most of my daughter's potty training M&Ms too. Whatever. She was driving me to it. And right there with you to all the overthinking questions. I just tell myself to give it a year until the little guy is out of the baby stage. Two kids has got to be more fun then. I do savor my one on one moments with each of them so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone keep saying the first year is the hardest with 2 close in age and then they are usually good buddies -- I'm banking on this to be true!

      Solidarity with those M&Ms, sister!

      Delete
  7. Seriously, you're my hero. I laughed, I cried, I puked (not your fault, pregnant with #2). I don't know how you do it and don't day drink. My first crazy child is L's age and this Jekyll and Hyde 2yo behavior is making me wonder how much is too much wine while pregnant. I wonder about the damage impart on #1 and #2 (who isn't getting nearly as much nutrients, supplements or time already). Thank you for always being so honest and sharing in your life. And I've eaten every potty training treat in the house. At this point, my 2yo comes and hand me one when I go potty. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There would have been several photos of wine glasses in this post if I didn't have to fit into a snug-ish bridesmaid dress this coming weekend! I am positive your #2 will be just wonderful as your #1 -- forgotten prenatals be damned! (I just now finished my big bottle of prenatals I started taking at the beginning of my pregnancy...there are only 200 in the bottle. Woops.)

      Delete
  8. As others have said, thank you for being so honest. There's no shame, we've all had days like that. Even those of us who try like crazy and use all our intelligence and intent. Maybe us most of all, since we CARE so much.

    I of course want to start giving you advice but I'm not going to because a) this was only one day b) you're smart c) you have great parental resources for that d) what do I know:). So I'll just send kudos and give you some knowing glances in the Imaginary Supermarket where I see you with your kids and L. has popsicle mouth and you are holding a latte. Those glances we old moms give you aren't judging, often, they're more like, ah, those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much appreciate your silent, encouraging grocery store nod -- even if it's virtual!

      Delete
  9. So, speaking from two months in the future- 2.5 is fun! 6 months is fun! Everyone told me, and they are right. It gets so much better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm holding you to that promise!

      Delete
  10. I love this. My children are almost exactly the same age as yours and we have had similar days. I will say my second is a MUCH better sleeper than my first and makes me feel more rested at this point that I was when my first was 4 months but the toddler is forever waking up the baby - it is guarenteed to happen anytime baby Haddie decides to close her eyes. We use the same disipline method and my husband is always questioning whether it actually works LOL. It must b.c sometimesI just have to threaten I am going to have to count and she starts behaving properly. My oldest doesn't hit the baby though she likes to get close and use her FEET. Drives me insane. I think I say " Feet down!" about a million times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not going to lie - I'm scurrrrrred. Two. Crap. So much work. I guess it's too late to turn back now so onward I go. ;) I do appreciate the honesty and know the good days will outnumber the hard ones. And I join you in your lust for all the things at mini boden and love for Joanna Gaines. (I spent an embarrassing amount of time online trying to track down an awesome leather cuff she was wearing in one of the episodes.) Also, tamales. YUM. Please tell me I can find those in a freezer section near me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be fabulous! Just buy all the mini boden and drink all the wine, and you'll be just fine!

      Tamales were in a huge, middle-of-the-meat-counter area refrigerated bin at Whole Foods! I tossed the package so I don't know the brand, but if I see them again, I'll make a note for you! I know they had pork, beef, and chicken tomatillo (that's what we had - so yummy).

      Delete
  12. Wow. Thank you for being real. And also? I'm exahusted just reading this, let alone living it. You have super-human strength! I'm just about to enter my third trimester with #1, and wonder about spacing for #2.....I think it's a challenge no matter how far apart they are. Bless you and your patience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post was AWESOME. I am not a SAHM, but my sister is (her kids are 5.5, 3.5 and 18 months...#3 was a surprise, ha), and this reminds me of so many of her stories! I think every mom has guilt/questions/overthinks, etc. but it's nice to get validation from someone else that you aren't the only 'shit mom' out there! Also...creeper talk...even though we've never met I would be so giddy if you moved to Austin. Like a virtual friend 'coming home' ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES to the Berenstain Bears book. We love Berenstain Bears and usually I'm all about their message and like the "old times" throwback, but the gimmies one drives me crazy because, why would be buy a snack every time we go to the store? Not cool bears! Also loved the rest of this post and am glad you posted a not great day because we've all had so many of those!

    ReplyDelete
  15. THank you for this post! I have a 2.5 y/o and 7 mos old and can completely relate. You are a great mama and your kids are beautiful, happy and healthy! I am using the 1-2-3 Magic method as well. Unfortunately my son often puts himself in timeout when I tell him I am going to start counting. :sigh: Keep up the great effort! And thank you again for all of your posts! They brighten my day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh that is a very good happy face! Definitely nailed it. Oh geez. I have that applebee stuck in my head way too often, must be something about that song that is particularly catchy because the others don't stick like that. We have the hound guitar too and I find those songs to be 85% more annoying. And wha...to that Berenstain Bear book. Yes you may have a present every time we go somewhere, wonderful message.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I really really enjoyed this. Not that I enjoy your hard days but because YES. Been there, done that. Reminds me of those days when Oliver was a baby and Bella was a 2 year old. It gets easier for sure. I find life easier now with a baby and a 3 & 5 year old than I did during that time (extenuating circumstances aside, but it was just rough with that particular age combo).

    I'm also looking forward to the change in routine once school starts, especially because my oldest (and still most demanding child somehow) will be in kindergarten. Love her so much and I also love that she will be able to use other people for intellectual and social stimulation.

    Several Berenstain Bear books have gone permanently missing in our house. So sad. Until B spots them at the library and wants to check them out. Then they go missing from the stash at check out time. Again: sadness.

    Get some rest this week if you can ('if' being operative word). I was a bridesmaid when Oliver was around 4.5 months and the two late nights somehow left me exhausted for weeks. Hope the wedding was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is just something so chaotic about having young kids. After we had our 3rd (who was a very challenging infant), I learned to treasure the good/calm moments - there were no longer WHOLE DAYS of smooth sailing, but definitely great moments tucked into the chaos of the everyday that we have to focus on….or else we will lose our minds, ha!
    Your kids are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your day! I get that it wasn't the best, but it's also real life and, like you said, someday you'll look back on it with...fondness?

    My kids are similar age to yours and it can be tough with dividing the attention between them. Things usually end with big brother throwing a car at baby sister. I'm going to look at 123 Magic though...I feel like discipline is HARD (so not in the brochure!).

    Also, how do you nurse in the Beco? I've tried and just cannot master it. So, go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely not super comfortable, but I make sure the "waist" strap is down super low on my hips so that his head is as close to my nipple as possible. And then I hold my boob in place while he nurses (this is one arena where saggy boobs are actually a plus!) -- pretty awkward, but it gets the job done! I rarely use a cover if I'm nursing in public, but if I'm using the Beco, I do the "tuck and drape" with a muslin blanket (like in the photo) so it's not so obvious I'm walking around groping myself ;)

      Delete

happy little comments!