Friday, August 15, 2014

miscellany

Thank y'all for all the kind comments on my latest DITL {gratitude only 13 days in the making - seems legit!}.  I tried to respond to any questions in the comments section, so give those a looksie if you had a query... And definitely check out Navigating the Mothership's round up -- I find these so. damn. fascinating.  I'm such a creepy voyeur.


E, B and I traveled to ATL last weekend to celebrate one of my very favorite people {and her very favorite guy}.  It was an exceptionally beautiful wedding with an even more gorgeous bride. B wasn't too enthused with his 3rd flight {after flying with kids unscathed many, many times, I guess our number was up; cue 40 straight minutes of screaming}, but totally rocked hanging out with E / J  / the babysitter without me {re: without my boobs} for nearly 48 hours.  No loyalty to the food source with that one, I tell ya.  I was so honored to be a part of L&D's big day, and we could not have had more fun "getting our BurtOn!"  And shacking with the M Family was icing on the wedding cake!


I planned on using our last few weeks of summer to dip our toes into the potty training pool.  Life and L had other plans, and we're now decidedly hanging out in the PT deep end.  I don't think I'll say much more about the process on social media {because, just, NO}, but we're having a decent amount of initial success with this Elmo Potty Seat, a sticker chart for "tryng," M&Ms for actual victories, and a "potty pal" {a stuffed puppy she picked out herself that she only gets to hold / play with if she's sitting on the potty}.  Basically, we're throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the bathroom in regards to motivation.  No shame in my bribery game. If you have an anxious and/or stubborn toddler, I can't recommend the extra motivation just for "trying" enough.


I continue to be very sad about Robin Williams.  Celebrity deaths rarely phase me much, and it actually feels wrong to be affected by the passing of someone I didn't know personally, but... I'm just sad.

The ongoing happenings in Ferguson are also weigh heavily on my mind {and I hate to list them behind potty training and Robin Williams... assume this cobbled-together post isn't ordered by significance}. There are so many unanswered questions surrounding Michael Brown's death, and, if we're talking about "sides," I think there has been bad behavior all-around.  But I hope the resulting dialog regarding race relations, the media's treatment of victims based on skin color, peaceful vs violent protests and law enforcement's reactions to each proves productive. I very much enjoyed Kelly's thoughts as a parent of a toddler on the subject. 

On a lighter note, where has The Good Wife been all my life? Three Cheers for Amazon Prime streaming video and early morning nursing sessions. I want to be Alicia {sans philandering spouse}. If only law firm life were actually so exciting.

9 comments:

  1. That might be the prettiest bridesmaid dress I've ever seen! Where did it come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I commented, but I loved your DITL. Didn't do one this quarter, couldn't muster up the energy, but I still love reading them and definitely have some PTSD for that first year with 2 kids 2 years apart. And the potty training with a newborn. OMG. I feel for you. Even if it goes well, it's rough.

    Regarding the events of Ferguson, I've been thinking about it a ton too, reading a lot and thinking about how to talk to my kids about these issues, starting all too soon. Fellow blogger also named Erin had a very thought provoking post about it: http://eisforerin.com/2014/08/14/im-a-white-mom-and-i-care/

    AND last (and probably least in terms of significance) I also looooooooo--ooooo---ve The Good Wife. Absolutely flew through all the seasons this winter after a particularly horrifying experience serving on a jury on a high profile criminal trial. Can't wait for the next season to start, but it was HARD to not binge watch the last season and have to wait AN ENTIRE WEEK between episodes. Nothing can hold my attention for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the article like -- a very thoughtful post in the truest sense of the word.

      I am so so glad I still have seasons 2 through 5 (6?) to plow through -- I'll actually be sad when I catch up in real time and have to wait 6 days in between episodes!

      Delete
  3. You look fantastic in that dress! I also enjoyed your DITL post, though I don't have children. I say kudos for all your hard work! I got into watching The Good Wife this season so I need to catch up on previous seasons. I just started watching Orange is the New Black (I'm hooked!) so I need to finish that first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooooove OITNB! I'm *almost* bummed Netflix released it all at once -- I wanted it to last longer!

      Delete
  4. LOVE your potty pal and sticker for trying idea! We just got a potty this week, and I'm planning to start for reals in September once our pool time is over. M is also a stubborn and strong willed little thing, and I like your bribery tactics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow you look amazing. Really. Have you been dieting like crazy or is it just the busy mom of 2 thing? Because i have 2 also, i literally run around all day long, and i still haven't been able to lose anything. Any insight? Either way, good for you! You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind -- thank you! Honestly, I just picked flattering photos ;) I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I think I have about 15 more lbs to lose from this past pregnancy...and 10 more from the first. Dieting tanks my milk supply so no help there!

      Delete

happy little comments!