Friday, September 5, 2014

Hatch Pesto + Blistered Tomatoes & Roasted Corn


Greetings!  We've been having A Day.  {I guess when this posts, it will be "we were having A Day." Well, let's at least hope past tense is applicable.}  Someone cute-yet-cranky thinks good sleep {nighttime or naptime} is for the birds for the moment.  Fluke?  I vote YES.  

Don't hand-wring too hard for us though... 


... we've got classed-up vino-in-a-box and toddler thumbprint art and all sorts of other good tricks up our sleeve!  


Even the ever-present heat can't hold us down.  It may be hotter than two amorous rats gettin' busy in a wool sock, but at least my new Authentic Weather app makes it amusing!  

I recommend you download that post haste.

As if the temperatures weren't keeping us glisten-y enough, I have another Hatch Chile Tongue Tingler for y'all!

{Woof, that sounds vaguely dirty}

{Eh, I'm leaving it} 

I threw this together one night last week, 65% sure we'd be dialing Campisi's for takeout when my little experiment inevitably failed in fantastic fashion.  Surprisingly, this pesto turned out incredibly delicious... E says it's one the best things I've ever made.

Toot, toot, toot goes my own horn.  


Hatch Pesto Pasta + Blistered Tomatoes & Roasted Corn

Ingredients
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta*
- 3-5 roasted Hatch chiles, de-stemmed and partially de-seeded {as always, poblanos or anaheims will do just fine if you don't have Hatches available... if you really like a good kick, toss a jalapeno in there, too}
- 2 T heavy cream or half & half
- 1/2 c. finely grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/4 - 1/2 c. EVOO {depending on how runny you like your pesto} + 1 T
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved {I used both red and yellow Sunbursts}
- 2 c. roasted corn kernels {I buy mine pre-roasted and frozen at Trader Joe's}
- dash of garlic salt
- 1/4 c. pasta water, reserved

*I discovered pasta made with Hatches at Central Market's annual Hatch Fest.  Naturally, this is the pasta I used for this dish, and it was, in a word, incredible.  Whole wheat pasta will have the same consistency without the subtle bite.  If you ever happen upon Hatch pasta, snap it up!  But the pesto-tomato-corn combo is the superstar here. 

Boil pasta according to package directions to al dente in a pot of heavily salted water.  Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water before draining. 

Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse chiles, cream, and Parmesan together.  Slowly add EVOO until pesto reaches the desired consistency {not super runny}.

In a skillet, heat 1 T. EVOO on Medium-High and add tomatoes.  Saute until skins are charred / just beginning to break down.  You could also do this in the oven under a broiler, if you'd prefer.  Toss corn in with tomatoes.  Sprinkle with garlic salt. 

Place pasta back in the pot, along with tomatoes and corn.  Pour pesto over pasta and toss to coat, slowly adding reserved pasta water until pesto is evenly distributed {I didn't use the entire 1/4 cup}. 

Serve immediately with a dusting of grated Parmesan. 

Makes 6-8 servings. 

8 comments:

  1. Pesto is my love language - this looks amazing! Hope you all have a good weekend and neither Saturday nor Sunday is A Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Downloading the weather app immediately. I'm guessing Alaska weather will be equally as humorous. (It was 32 at the bus stop this am) barf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is why I'm afraid to even try for baby #2 - I'm so sleep deprived with toddler, I feel like I'm dying.
    You, however, look lovely. And cook. And remain funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried it this weekend and loved it! So unique and yummy! Central Market still had the hatch pasta (yay) but zero actual hatch chiles (boo). I used canned roasted hatches plus a couple of roasted jalepenos and it still turned out great, but I'm sure would be even better with fresh roasted hatches - on the list for next year! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I downloaded the app, and wanted to say thanks!! It's great for a laugh, particularly at 2:30a when my baby girl pukes down my back!!! Much appreciated tip… :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still crying laughing about your DT comment....my 1st is 2 months younger than L and my 2nd was born the same week as B...where were you in April, baby Margaret?

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!