Thursday, September 4, 2014

Labor De Rigueur

We had a superb little Labor Day Weekend, thanks so much for asking!  We began our three day sabbatical with a trip down 35, stopping once at illustrious Exit 353 for a late brunch on-the-go...


...and arriving in Waco just in time for naps all around!  Waking refreshed, E and L made the first of several trips to the Baylor Bear Habitat and the new stadium for an afternoon activity while B and I cooled our heels at Mama J's. 

This was actually Sunday, but you get the drift.

Then we all ate a bunch of brisket and binged on college football.  For the first time in forever {try reading that without humming Frozen, BETCHA CAN'T}, I am still not quite mentally prepared for another football season.  E claims to be over last year's Fiesta Bowl, but All The Pouting is still fresh in my mind.  And now David Ash is out for the Longhorns' season... Ugggg.  Suppose it's best if I jump on board with a positive attitude. 

ANYHOODLE.  Come Sunday, we dressed the chillins' in their finest green and gold and - between E, L, and myself - ate a pound of bacon for breakfast.  I wish I could say the bacon consumption is a part of some pigskin season opener tradition, but, the truth is, Mama J just makes really, really exceptional bacon.  E and L went back to the bear habitat and hit up the bookstore {because we don't have enough Baylor gear} {sarcasm}


During naptime, E and I snuck away to join the tailgating bonanza at the brand, spankin-new McLane Stadium.  Bear fans are Capital V Very Excited about McLane... and, I will say, as far as stadiums go, it's lovely{?}.  I was super impressed in general {although, I was not allowed to bring my pump in and was told I wouldn't be allowed to re-enter if I left to pump in the car... not to go all Lactivist on their Baptist asses, but... a letter is in the works}.  


Given the fact it was hotter than the face of the sun, we spent a great deal of time drinking beer within the confines of our friends' air conditioned vehicle.  Not the most mingly tailgating event I've ever attended, but it got the job done.  Evan also high-fived RG3 as he whizzed by in a golf cart, which, as I wrote on IG, basically topped all experiences he's had thus far in his life.  

I thought I was old enough to safely ditch the dressy gameday attire; then Lauren had to go and look adorable.


Our seats are excellent, and by "excellent," I mean West-facing.  Luckily, much like the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and Beyonce, my hair and makeup are impervious to 100 degree heat, and I felt fantastically sexy, even with visible swampy underboob sweat.  

{LIES}

E assures me our seats will be "awesome in winter."  Perfect!  Only 3 more months then!  All complaining aside, Baylor's new digs are pretty damn exciting, even for a tee-shirt-fan-by-marriage {law school doesn't count as a true allegiance, I don't think}, and we very much enjoyed ourselves at the inaugural game!  Many, many thanks to Mama J and Joan for wrangling our gremlins while we were yelling SIC EM!  


Back in Dallas, we capped off our long weekend with an early dinner at The Porch and subsequent grocery shopping at Central Market {balloons! samples! huzzah!}. 


Tuesday dawned early as we all talked up L's first day back at "school."  Ever the stinker, she rocked her milestone photos:

Nailed it. 

I admit to being slightly apprehensive about school this year... I knew she'd have fun, but using a "scary" {ie: new} potty and napping on a mat + moving from two days to three seemed like a lot to adapt to.  Of course she proved me wrong and had zero issues. Three Cheers for Peer Pressure!  Her teachers also said she was super engaged and vocal in class -- great news as she spoke very little last year even though she never stops talking at home. 


I was particularly conflicted about sending her an extra day this year, but everyone in her class goes 3 days {whereas kids rotated in and out on different days last year}, and I think that consistency will be really great for her.  I miss her mug when she's gone, but it's really nice to have an opportunity to love on B one-on-one...and I'm very much looking forward to beginning some contract work hours. 


The few hours of relative quiet aren't half bad either. And neither is reunion froyo {"froyoyo and a bottle of rum!"} {is word play on a boozy ditty inappropriate? I'm not sure I care if it is.}. 

MaƱana... HATCH PESTO PASTA! Get your jazzhands ready! 

15 comments:

  1. Umm when I'm a mom, can I be just like you? For serious. I just nearly spit out my coffee at this gem: "Our seats are excellent, and by "excellent," I mean West-facing. Luckily, much like the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and Beyonce, my hair and makeup are impervious to 100 degree heat, and I felt fantastically sexy, even with visible swampy underboob sweat." My cousin and his wife are DIEHARD Baylor fans and went picture crazy on Sunday as they melted at the stadium with their two boys. Mercy, if there's one thing I do not miss since moving to Boston it's the Texas summers. Sayonara, boob sweat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summers really are brutal! Although y'all have your own fair share of crazy weather on the flip side!

      Delete
  2. Okay can I just say I would probably read ANYTHING you chose to write about. I absolutely look forward to your posts - regardless of the content (NOT THAT YOUR CONTENT IS NOT GREAT). Seriously you should write a book:) Anywho - I am also awaiting HATCH recipes. Previous to my last pregnancy I HATED spicey for whatever reason my last pregnancy craving was all HOT things which did not go well with the TONS OF HEARTBURN I have while pregnant. Now I still LOVE all things spicey and HOT. So I am super excited about HATCH recipes. Go L! Way to be rocking preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small horn tootin' moment because I don't know ANYONE else who is moderately interested in the Baylor Stadium. I worked on the design of the stadium insomuch as I did the floodplain analysis to expedite the permitting. "Don't put the parking lot here or it'll take an extra year. Don't even think about using an elevation that high in the river or you'll have to deal with the feds." Seriously top 3 project of my career.

    PS, so glad L is starting school and potentially freeing up some additional blog time. Just in time to keep me occupied during maternity leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is super cool, Jill! Obviously an amateur eye here, but the design really seems amazing to me!

      Delete
  4. Oh so many random comments. First - Waco - home of Chip & Joanna? Have you been to her shop?!?! (Why does this excite me so?) To quote my friend Liz Lemon "I want to go to there." Second, boats on campus is pretty darn swanky! But what the crap with the pump? Take 'em to task with that letter friend.

    I feel ya on the stadium sweats. I told Brian to sell our seats this year because I just couldn't take staring into the sun for 4 hours 9 months pregnant - or sit there with a newborn for the second half of the season. (I won't mention said stadium is home of the UCF Knights - Fiesta Bowl Champions. Whoops. Just that once.) Remind me - you and E went to law school at Baylor? Or just he did? Finally, big girl L on her first day of school - oh so precious. And wahoo for a few hours of quiet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been to her shop since she reopened, but it is actually on my to-do list for this weekend under the itinerary heading MAKE JOANNA GAINES MY NEW BFF. I could be strong-armed into moving to Waco just to live in one of their homes!

      The "sailgating" is pretty cool, right? Also on my to-do list: Make a friend with a boat! The new stadium will not let you bring in a bag that is larger than a small clutch -- this did not curtail the guys in front of us from smuggling in 6 airplane bottles of Crown {color me impressed!}, so I'm not really sure what the motivation is there.

      E and I both went to Baylor Law and he also attended undergrad there!

      Delete
  5. Dude, Ash being out is the best thing that could happen to UT for real. I've had this talk with my Sad Longhorn, and Ash kind of sucks. And getting a year of experience under Swoopes will bode well for next year. That being said, if my brother in law uses the hashtag #stronghorns on one more instagram picture (POSTED FROM CONNECTICUT) I'm going to burn instagram to the ground.

    HEYYYYYYYYYYYYY SIC EM BEARS! We are going to the TCU game fo sho FYI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Swoopes has a decent amount of potential but he's so erratic. Of course, I suppose Ash isn't the most consistent QB of all time, either sooooooo... let's hope you and your Sad Longhorn are right!

      The TCU game is in direct conflict with TX/OU. Ughhh. E will be in Waco for sure, and my guess is my parents and I will as well given it's my grandmother's 90th birthday. (But! CORNDOGS!?)

      Delete
  6. OH EFF. That may mean A will change his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stadium boob sweat comment made me chuckle!

    Glad L had a great first week of school! She is looking so big in your pics these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! No idea how you didn't go all lactation crazy on them tho. I would probably lose it, esp w a couple of cocktails in me. I am impressed. Please keep us posted on what they respond to what will surely be a great and pointed letter that you send them. Speaking of, calling my alma mater now to see what their policy is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is, had I pressed them harder / asked to speak with a supervisor, they would have allowed it (I hope). We were with a group and anxious to get inside and I was Beer Buzz Happy ;) The across-the-board rule is you can't carry in a bag larger than the size of a small clutch. I'm assuming they must make medical exceptions, so I just need to speak with the right person. Otherwise, they will feel the flames!

      Delete
  9. I too would have given up the good fight in the name of a bunch of "happy" friends after a fun tailgate, though I do hope that the stadium has an exception for situations like this, and you were maybe just dealing with a new employee? Good luck and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is crazy talk about the no-pump rule!! Hope that gets fixed for you STAT.

    And glad your little lady had a smooth and successful start to the school year. Yay for time to be a grown up!!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!