Thursday, September 18, 2014

Turkey Spinach Meatballs

Ooouf.  


Well.  We've been... trucking along.  


Made another road trip to Waco, powered through the first full week of preschool {apparently singing, playing, crafting, eating, and snoozing away from home three days a week is exhausting}, and survived our second-ever after-hours pediatric consultation / first tooth {unrelated... but both resulting from extreme distress on the part of our little guy} {and, okay, okay, extreme-ish distress on my part when forced to abandon a much-anticipated evening out with friends involving cheese plates and in-house infused vodka cocktails} {I love these dang kiddos up and down and right to left and upside down and back again, but... CHEESE! VODKA! FRIVOLOUS GOSSIP! Let's work on that timing next time, mmmmkay?}. 


L has kinda-sorta started loving B.  I think I have PBS to thank for making younger siblings cool {where were you 5 months ago, Baby Margaret?}.  She's been big on the hugs and all-around general "what Brady doing?" queries. And she loves talking about her baby "sister."  I don't know where we got off track with that one {as she's been saying "brother" long before his birthday debut}, but, again, pretty sure Daniel Tiger is to blame.  We have got to start watching another show. 


B now waves on the regular.  I realize it's not purposeful, so it's not like I'm Sharpie-ing the baby book {BABY BOOK! HA! #poorsecondchild}, but it's still adorable as all get out. 


L is my big girl helper in the kitchen {and, really, everywhere else} as of late.  Girlfriend makes a mean banana bread and licks the beaters clean beter and quicker than The Boom.  Which is saying something. 


We had a cold snap.  I wore leggings without spontaneously combusting, and we let the mini-meatloaves sport their fall / winter footwear.  I hear purple sparkles and shark teeth are much like Hansel circa 2001. 


Also hot right now?  Make ahead meals that both taste great fresh / freeze easily and also please the terrorist toddler when she opens her lunch sack.  L actually calls them "green balls," which, I mean, how can you not just chuckle? 

I know y'all come here for the fabulous food photography.

Turkey Spinach Meatballs

Ingredients
- 1.5 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 small container fresh spinach {8 oz}
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cups finely grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cups bread crumbs {I used whole wheat}
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 1.5 teaspoon garlic salt
- one recipe Slow Simmer Vegetable Spaghetti Sauce  or your favorite spaghetti sauce {just make sure you have enough liquid to cover the meatballs}

In a food processor, pulse together spinach and eggs until a rough paste forms.  Add turkey, Parmesan, bread crumbs, and spices, and pulse slowly until mixture is well combined.  You could also mix the ingredients by hand, but that would involve chopping the spinach very, very finely, and who really has time for that? 

Using slightly moistened palms {ZOMG that's the grossest instruction every typed in a recipe ever, Ever, EVER}, roll turkey mixture into balls {maybe 2 T each?}. There will be many balls.  At this point, feel free to freeze some on a cookie sheet and then store in a Ziploc baggie for future spaghetti endeavors. 

In a large dutch oven, heat your sauce to a low boil, then lower temperature to a simmer.  Add meatballs in a single layer, cover, and allow to cook through... 30-40 minutes should be just fine on the stove.  When I'm making a big batch of the Slow Simmer Veggie Sauce, I like to add my meatballs after blending the simmering chunks into a smooth sauce, so they end up cooking a good 2-3 hours. 

Serve with lots of sauce over freshly boiled pasta.   Perhaps for Friday Night Meatballs. Which has officially become A Thing I'm obsessed with and need to make happen on some plane in my own home.  But that's a post for another day.  Until then... enjoy the green balls. 

10 comments:

  1. Just had to pipe in to say that we're seeing some effects of Daniel Tiger's new little sibling too! Love that little tiger for teaching our 3 yr old some excellent lessons. We sing two of the songs on the regular "try new things cause they might taste gooood" (we have a picky eater on our hands) and "when you have to go potty, STOP!, and go right away." Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DTN has a lesson for everything! I am simultaneously grateful to him and sick of his furry face!

      Delete
  2. Ha- I pity you with Daniel Tiger. Get her on Peppa Pig! British accents! It's adorable. We are still on Dora as well, however. I do not like Dora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it could be way worse, but it's like COME ON CHILD. There are other fish in the cartoon sea!

      Delete
  3. It is only PWINCESSES in our house _ Sophie or Cinderalla or Snow White or the one with the scary man (Beauty and the Beast). I guess I should be happy ... Course we are only home long enough to fit in one song after school before bedtime begins (thank the lord above). Also my girl has been LOVING her baby "brother" recently even though she has a sister. Not sure where the brother part came from (I am thinking school since her friend is getting ready to have a brother). She knows her sister is a baby girl but calls her brother - toddlers are weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toddlers are SO weird -- amen to that!

      Delete
  4. SS is also on the the DTN train. And she can't get enough. She is currently an only child and has started asking where her baby sister is...tricky. This recipe looks fab and perfect timing as I am trying to expand my toddler lunch repertoire since she started taking her lunch to school! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooof. Nothing like having the toddler suggesting the next step in family planning! Thanks a lot, Baby Margaret!

      Delete
  5. I have banned Daniel Tiger in our house for the moment. We were enthusiastically on Team Baby Brother and how awesome being a big sister will be and then Baby Margaret shows up and it's all "I want a sister!!!" "Why does the baby cry?" and "I'm a baby. Can I play with baby toys?" whine fest. UM, kid's not even here yet. Let's save the sass. So we're taking a DT break. (And to be honest, the songs drive me a little batty.) Your kiddos are oh so big and oh so cute! Just want to squeeze sweet Brady! And how big does L look in that picture in the kitchen munching on her banana bread?

    Did you make it to Magnolia on your trip to Waco?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seriously crack me up. Loving that picture of you wearing Brady with your fabulous elephant pashmina drinking wine. Fabulous! Pinning this recipe - looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!