Friday, October 17, 2014

Baked Grits with Poblano & Cheddar

So! 

I'm happy to report, after airing my current, particular brand of Crazy yesterday,* my perspective was mostly on point today* {even as I pointedly noticed the bottled water aisle at the market was glaringly bare this afternoon... seriously, East Dallas?}. But thank y'all for making me feel less like an irrational headcase!

* {Wednesday / yesterday} - Behold! The wonders of scheduled postings! 

For your efforts, you shall be rewarded with my mama's recipe for baked grits. Which is unsurpassed in its awesomeness.  


Now, 'lest you lose your damn mind for a hot minute, please remember the teachings of our fore-mothers and My Cousin Vinny: 


No. Instant. Grits. 

Just say no.

Baked Grits with Poblano & Cheddar

Ingredients
- 1 poblano {or Hatch!} pepper, de-stemmed, sliced into ribbons*
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- small glug of EVOO
- 1 cup stone ground grits {we like yellow}
- 1.5 cups chicken broth + a little extra
- 1.5 cups 1% milk
- 1/4th tsp. salt
- several dashes of Cholula hot sauce
- 1 T. butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat olive oil over Medium-High heat. Saute poblano until softened - 3-4 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for another minute or two until fragrant.  Set aside.

In a sauce pan, bring broth, milk, grits, and salt to a boil.  Adjust heat to Low and cover for about 20 minutes or until grits are done {when all liquid is absorbed and grits are tender and smooth}; you may need to add a bit more liquid.  Be sure you stir a few times to avoid lumps and boiling over.

Remove grits from heat.  Stir in all other ingredients except Parmesan.  Pour into a greased 8x8 baking dish or pie/quiche pan.  Sprinkle Parmesan on top.  Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until top is bubbling and beginning to brown.  Allow 10 minutes for cooling, then devour immediately!

*I suspect roasting and pureeing the pepper {I'd probably do two} might take this recipe to an even higher plane.  I'll experiment and report back. 

GRATUITOUS PUMPKIN PATCH PHOTO

4 comments:

  1. Were these MAGIC grits? Did the laws of physics somehow suspend above YYOAAHHH stove? (With accent included. Live for that movie.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MCV probably accounts for 40% of my impetus to attend law school!

      Delete
  2. And I thought us Alabama/Georgia folks knew how to do up some grits. These sound AMAZING and I must try these Texas grits pronto Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're inclined to bake them in the Southwest! I never realized Southerners usually ate them runny until college!

      Delete

happy little comments!