Tuesday, October 7, 2014

oh, calamity!

I recently finished Big Little Lies and have decided to make proclamations of oh, calamity! happen. 


Looking ahead to my year-end book review, I think it might be the Year of Liane Moriaty {slash Rainbow Rowell}.  Her books are fluffy enough to make sense at 3am {and 4am} {and 5am} with adequate cleverness and meat that I don't feel as if my brain is trickling out my ears.  So far, BLL is my favorite of the bunch.  Highly recommend!

After running through a suggestion or forty-eight, L has decided to be a pig for Halloween. While this means I've successfully postponed insistence upon a pricy store-bought costume by another year, it appears I must now fashion some sort of cutesy swine ensemble myself. I thought this situation might call for an Etsy to the Rescue Moment, buuuuuuuuut... 

Who knew there'd be 3 purchasing options to outfit your masquerading guinea pig for every actual pig costume? And don't even speak to me about the former two selections. The whole search endeavor gave me the heebie-jeebies, Lord-of-the-Flies-Style. I guess it's off to Michael's I scurry {oh, calamity!}. 

Almost a year-to-date after Flood 2.0, we have contractors on site putting our humpty-house together again. We're using this opportunity to complete a few other larger home to-dos, so I'm very much looking forward to new grout and paint and can lights in addition to bidding farewell to the Exposed Slab-by Chic look that's currently on display in our living room. Now we can invite friends over without the now-standard "mind the exposed insulation!" warnings.

We've been enjoying the cooler temps and sudden thunderstorms {although not the power outages and fallen trees as much} {wicked weather and Ebola! welcome to Dallas!} {...oh, calamity!}, but it looks like today's high is back up to 94.  Luckily, I have the perfect soup for such a steamy October day... Bright and light, yet comforting -- it's staving off my chili impulses for the time being! 


Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup
modified from Damn Delicious

Ingredients
- 2 T EVOO
- 1 lb chopped chicken breast, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- juice of one large lemon
- 2 heaping cups uncooked small-shape pasta {the original recipe calls for orzo; I used tiny shells because orzo pisses me off in soup}
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary

In a large stockpot, heat EVOO over medium high heat.  Add chicken and cook through {about 3-4 minutes}.  Reduce heat to medium, and add onion, carrots, and celery.  Cover and allow to steam for about 3 minutes.  Stir in garlic and thyme; stir until fragrant - about 1 minute.  Add stock and lemon juice.  Bring liquid to a slow boil and add pasta, bay leaves, and rosemary.  Boil until pasta is cooked to al dente {consult instructions on the box -- mine was about 11 minutes}.  Remove bay leaves, and serve with extra sharp cheddar on the side. 

10 comments:

  1. My daughter informed me she wants to be a giraffe. Now what? I have made that soup and it is so delicious. Good luck on your swine search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear {oh, calamity!} -- Godspeed on the giraffe costume! I'd be at a total loss!

      Delete
  2. Pink sweats, felt ears in a headband, pipe cleaner tail and a piggy nose
    From the party store. Insta-piglet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up Big Little Lies at the library this morning. Excited to start it!

    Also....I decided to make M a tiger for Halloween after her intense love for Daniel and Baby Margaret. It came the other day and she's TERRIFIED of it. Guess I have a month to convince her it's super cool and not scary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Maggie to "see what it is, you might feel better!"

      {L flat out refused to wear part of her costume last year... SIGH, TODDLERS}

      Delete
  4. Okay, I think "Oh calamity!" constantly now. I listened to that book, so my thought is in an Australian accent. Bonus!

    Also, I made the Ellie Kreiger version of that soup last night. Twinsies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the audio version read with an Australian accent? Because that intrigues me to no end...

      Delete
  5. I loved BLL! Agreed with "oh, calamity" becoming the new "fetch." Double agree about LM's year, her and Jo Jo Moyes. Have you read her stuff? OB.SESSED.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pig mask will give me nightmares but I'm going to try that soup this week with the rosemary-lemon chicken I'm roasting today!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!