Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"that's a bery, bery big numbah"

Niiiiiiiine-etty?!! 


My grandmother turned 90 this past Friday, much to my two {AND A HALF!} year old's chagrin.  That's her up there in 1945 at 21 with my Daddy Jim... what a Betty, right?!


We commemorated the day of with a fancy at-home dinner party and a weekend in Waco {the guest of honor having previously partied it up big-time with her four lovely daughters in NYC}.  The mini-meatloaves were not invited to eat Shrimp Orleans at the big kids' table, but Mama J was kind enough to share her cake before the babysitter arrived {bless you, Brenda and your baby-whispering ways... move to Dallas?}. 


We all contributed to dinner {mental note to jot my mama's shrimp recipe down for a future post...it's insane}; my kitchen remains covered in sawdust so it was Trader Joe's to the rescue for my assigned appetizers, but who can argue with a well-appropriated cheese platter {especially when triple cream Brie and Rosemary raisin crisp leftovers really class-up the following day's pigskin binge!}? My grandmother's table looked lovely, the food was delightful, and the company even more so.  A very fitting celebration for a lady who continues to shape all our lives in rather significant ways... May we all be half as vibrant as she remains at 90. 


Brady and I greeted Saturday on four occasions before the sun actually rose; the past two months he's made it clear he doesn't like labels - even one as favorable as "the good sleeper."  Zzzzzs are even more difficult for him to appreciate away from home - a phenomenon so many of my friends have survived with their progeny but I never experienced with L {for better or worse, my first-born is consistent}.  It is a very, very good thing he is so very, very cute and smiley. He can also house a sweet potato and best his Yogi J in planking. 


After our early rising and calisthenics, we bid a green-and-gold-clad E adieu, and swathed ourselves in burnt orange with all appendages crossed for a repeat of last year's Red River Shootout {ie: we sell our tickets for the first time in six years, knowing the Horns are sure to blow it, and are rewarded for our lack of faith with a big, fat W}.  Sadly, it was not to be, but the small fries both took decent naps and I got to read a magazine in relative peace.  


Chocolate cake and eating our feelings helped to ease our sportsman wounds as well. 


Having previously purchased tickets to an after-dinner showing of Gone Girl, the score of the Baylor game started to make my stomach rumbly {no one wants to watch Rosamund Pike be gorgeously maniacal with a sad sack companion}, so J and I took the littles out for a power walk. 


We got some much needed fresh air and exercise.  We also petted some kitties and made some new friends.  Win-win! 


Upon our return, it became clear Baylor was not going to win-win.  E - smart, self-aware, and caring husband he is - knew I was apt to go all Gone-Girl on his ass {without actually realizing what that means, having not read the book} if our evening out was foiled and cut out on the game early... only to experience the literal comeback of a lifetime in between bath time and story readings.  I still feel mildly guilty, but I also think his blood pressure owes me a thank-you note {sorry, Noodle!}.  Regardless... Sic 'Em, Bears! 


Big ol' gracias-es to J, T-Pop, and Mama J for keeping the home fire burning while we packed our roadies and escaped to the movies.  We both really enjoyed Gone Girl.  I loved, loved, loved the book, and thought the film adaptation was stellar.  It's one of those flicks I wish it were possible to experience without prior knowledge of the book so I could properly react to the plot twists!  Except I'd never want to not read the book.  Sooooo... Space / Time Continuum Wish?! 


Sunday was spent road-tripping it back to Dallas {while I am infinitely thankful to have a potty-trained child, I loathe a drive longer than 30 minutes. LOATHE.}, and doing some more pumpkin-patchin'.  Because when it's freakin'* decorative gourd season, you've gotsta go hard or go home with pumpkin patch attendance. 


I was happy to see a brief appearance by The Concerned Citizen.  Except... 3 seconds later...


PUMPKINS ARE THE GREATEST I LOVE EVERYTHING.


As the Universe would always have it, we managed to take the Unicorn of family photos... whilst wearing workout / overzealous fan gear. 


Whatevs.  This still might appear on our Christmas card, parental attire and inappropriate background be damned. 

*I just couldn't, in good conscience, type muthafuckin' in a post commemorating my adorable grandmother's 90th birthday.  Oh, wait. 

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE the last photo and isnt that always the case, a great picture when not anticipated and then you get dolled up in matchy but not too matchy outfits pay a ton of money for NOT ONE picture where everyone is looking at the camera and smiling! C'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those Old Navy workout pants! The cutest!!!

    What a great celebratory post with ample pictures of cake and baby grins. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog posts. You're one of the few that seems to still blog about the daily and I feel like we're friends catching up over coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that! I always struggle with writing about the mundane, but that's the majority of my material these days!

      Delete
  4. Great post and pictures! Jealous your daughter is potty trained! My son is dragging it out! What is your secret? Thank you for the posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew something like the 3 Day Method was just not going to work with her personality, so we potty trained in phases. Letting go of the idea that the process would be super quick made me less frustrated and her less anxious. We focused on going to the potty at home while awake first - with absolutely zero pressure to even try in public if she didn't want to. Underpants at home, pull ups in public, diapers for naps and night. She got the hang of it at home really easily (with #1 -- she's still afraid to go #2 in the potty and will wait until she's asleep in a diaper; I'm going to just have to wait that one out, I think). Then we started doing underpants for quick public outings and really talking up the public potties. I was surprised by how quickly she adapted to going in public since public bathrooms have always freaked her out. School was also super helpful -- all the kids in her class go to the bathroom together every 30 minutes so the positive peer pressure worked wonders. We are still in diapers when asleep -- she's never woken up dry so she's just not physically ready for that, but it's been weeks since she's had an accident while awake. Biggest tips that worked for us was to dive right into underwear (she had no motivation to tell us she needed to go in a Pull-up or diaper); figure out what motivates your child to make things fun (at first, she got a sticker on her chart just for trying so we could get her to actually sit and try; M&Ms / now yogurt covered raisins for successes); and train in steps if it's more manageable for you / your child.

      Delete
  5. I've been reading you for years, but don't think I've ever commented. I love reading your day to day as well, and having recently had my daughter, I've loved your realistic posts on motherhood even more (and actually really used your registry list...lol). But what made me have to post is that is the EXACT reaction I had to Gone Girl! I too loved the books (I get why people were mad at the end, but I think they are wrong, ha), and after seeing the movie, I literally said to my friend "part of me wishes I hadn't read it...but I can't imagine not having read it." I did love seeing the reactions in a packed theater to some of the twists. I've often agreed with your book reviews, but this was so spot on, I agree with other commenters I feel like I know you (but I promise not in a creepy stalker way...lol)
    Thanks for a great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many things on which to comment! #1 - Gone Girl SO good - I do agree about wanting to be surprised by the twists without having to have not read the book! #2 - the plank - I died. #3 - Happy birthday to your grandma! I wish I had my lovelies still around to celebrate. #4 - my Aggies got smoked as well, so can I have some cake?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is SUCH a good family picture! I wouldn't worry a bit about the attire. You all look so cute and happy.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!