Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thoughts for Thursday


I'm over Ebola in Dallas.  I'm at the point where I really am having trouble processing new cases and information like a rational adult human being.  

Brief Back-Story: I still have no idea how this came to pass, but I saw Outbreak in the theaters in 1995.  {OMG I CAN FEEL YOU ROLLING YOUR EYES AT ME THROUGH YOUR COMPUTER RIGHT NOW, TRUST ME, I KNOW} My mom swears she didn't take me, and, seeing as I was 12, I'm pretty sure no one sold me a ticket thinking I was 17ish.  Maybe I snuck in with friends?  I feel like I'd remember that, though, as I'd yet to enter my rebellious phase, so that behavior would be out of the norm {and, therefore, memorable?}.  ANYHOODLE, how I managed the illicit R-rated viewing isn't important.  What is significant is the fact that no other film has ever affected me in such a manner.  I had nightmares for months.  I saw The Shining the same year {on basic cable, at a friend's house, when we were supposed to be watching Real World London or something of the sort, thanks TNT}.  My first brush with Kubrick was harrowing, but Redrum and Nicholson have nothing on those fucking monkeys.  Any mention of Ebola since 1995 pretty much made me twitch.  Every zombie series, every page of The Passage; every episode of The Walking Dead... my brain automatically screams EBOLA.

So, yaknow, it's been super special to have one of the only psychological traumas from your privileged childhood suddenly become relevant in your own backyard.  I'm the furthest from a hypochondriac and/or conspiracy theorist there is, but our connections to the three patients {tenuous though they may be} push me closer and closer into Crazy Town on the daily.  It is surreal, to say the least, to have Ebola Connection Updates emailed to you daily from the director of your child's preschool because one of the church's parishioners happens to be Patient Zero's fiance.  Or be unable to access a good friend's apartment complex without driving past blue decontamination barrels and public health notices taped to neighboring doors. I delivered both our kiddos at Presbyterian; my OB's office is inside and our pediatrician is across the street.  It's just...kind of...everywhere.  And the folks who are supposed to be in charge don't seem to be worth a plug nickel, I'm sorry to say. 

I'm not trying to play the "I Have More of a Right to Freak Out About Ebola Than You" Card, but... eh, I'm allowing my underpants to be slightly more twisty than the average bear at the moment.  All the logic in the world tells me I should be more concerned with Enterovirus or the Texas gubernatorial race, or, I dunno, Red Dye #5.  I do a decent job of thinking critically and compassionately about the world wide implications of this disease 85% of the time.  But I also find myself short on logic every few days.  Thank Baby Cheezus for large glasses of wine and hoarded placenta pills.  Who doesn't love a good Placebo Effect coupled with a slight buzz?!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Something lighter, perhaps?

I don't often indulge delusions of grandeur of being real-life-buddies with celebrities, but if anyone is deserving of such pipe dreams, it's Jennifer Garner.*  I think I've watched this clip from Jimmy Fallon half a dozen times, at least.



I think it's safe to say lice has never been so cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My father is horrified {rightly so} that we allow L to listen to so much Top 40 Hits Radio.  Her current favorite songs are Shake It Off, Boom Clap, and... wait for it... Black Widow.  I know, I know, I'm cringing, too.  Except she sings it {at top volume, tone deaf yelling} I'M GONNA LOVE YOU GONNA LOVE YOU LIKE A BLACK BEAN BABY.  

I find myself intentionally searching for that ear-abomination just to hear about those black beans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The children play together now.   I mean, kinda.  Close enough. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Western Week at school.  I have no clue what that entails as all the over-achiever moms filled the volunteer spots before I could throw my hat into the ring.  All I was able to coerce from my tight-lipped cowgirl was bean bags were involved.  I'm just going to assume there was tossing of some sort.  She may take the secrets of the Wild West to the grave, but we'll always have this photograph in commemoration of said thematic bean bag magic: 


*Also Mindy Kaling. Who I recently dreamed was my bestie... except she had Ebola and kept trying to intentionally vomit into my children's cribs.  Which... whyyyyyyy?  "Why" to my psyche -- stop being so damn insane.  Also: "why" to my best friend Mindy who is trying to wage biological warfare on my offspring.  Not cool, Mindy. Not cool at all. 

16 comments:

  1. Okay - I am dying (sitting at my desk reading this laughing so hard) only b.c the people in my office would tell you I am the same way in regards to ebola! HA. They forever comment - what do you have the CDC on speed dial - how are you getting all of this information so fast. A little background - UMMM I work where we MAKE the vaccines for ebola. I have worked with this disease for years however have never been worried about getting it and am very cautious follow protocols etc until someone a few thousand miles away contracts it. Now I am losing my ever loving mind over it! And I am fully aware of it - so sad. Also I totally agree with you in regards to Jennifer Garner, totally could be a bestie. The picture of L is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooooooo...you can send me some of that secret vaccine I know you're not telling me about...right?!

      Delete
  2. Ummm I totally feel like you have the right to say you can freak out over Ebola way more than me since I'm across the country in Maryland. If it were in MD right now I would definitely be freaking. I of course am logical and know how it's transmitted but when hospital workers keep getting it you start to feel skeptical about a healthcare system you trusted! Love that Jennifer Garner clip, have you seen the one about her baby bump? That's a good one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One (or both) of the patients from Dallas is being transferred to MD! I saw that earlier on the scary news. :(

      Delete
    2. The second nurse (the first was already transferred to Emory). To the bio-containment facility in Bethesda. At least they are equipped and trained for this sort of thing. We've made a royal mess of it down here.

      Delete
    3. And Natalie! I have seen the baby bump clip on Ellen! Girl Crush Level Up!

      Delete
  3. Did you see Jennifer Garner on Ellen talking about her baby bump? Total girl crush.

    I love in Boston and am irrationally nervous about Ebola. So I think you are totally entitled to freak out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I woke up at about in the middle of the night from a dream that I had to leave my house in 30 mins, I then spent the next hour mentally preparing to be locked in my house for a month or two should Ebola come to DC. Looks like a Costco run is in order to stock up the house. Better go soon before everyone else freaks out too.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you that I was pretty darn calm about the dreaded e-word right up until I could hear the news helicopters circling the apartments yesterday from my bedroom - now, I'm not so calm.

    Just curious - are any of you Dallas mamas taking any extra precautions with your kids? I haven't been, other than better enforcing hand washings and using antibacterial wipes instead of just baby wipes while out and about (but both geared more toward flu and Entero), but then I wonder whether I should be - they're my babies after all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not. Just pushing the hand washings and making sure to wipe down shopping carts, etc. I'm going to call the preschool today and ask if they know of anyone (parents of students, spouses of teachers) who works at Presby, but I'm not sure what I'll do if the answer is yes. Probably nothing? Assuming the response seems appropriate? It's hard to know what is reasonable -- you don't want to overreact and you want to trust officials who say things are under control...but when exposed nurses are hopping on planes with low grade fevers, it's easy to worry over every little public movement you make.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like we are on the same wave-length about level of response and trying to maintain my usual composure but secretly harboring slight fears for my little nuggets. Glad to hear it from someone similarly situated. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Ebola thing is so hard, because like you said, it's hard to know what seems reasonable? Do you pull your kids out of school? Do you not go to the doctor? What are you supposed to do?

    Stock pile wine seems like the only thing coming to my mind at the moment.

    Keep us posted.

    And that picture of little L in the western getup? Too much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bahahaha! This is killing me. Outbreak scarred me for life too! Thankfully I don't think you have to worry much about Dallas being quarantined and nuked, but I will never get close to a monkey for the rest of my life. Also, L's Wild West picture is the cutest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just said to J the other night that it's a good thing we're not in Dallas or I'd be losing my cool more than I already am over the ebola thing. You have every right to be freaked out.

    Incredible Jennifer Garner clip. And I found it ironic that she had such gorgeous hair in a clip where she was discussing her families visit with head lice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ebola thing...ugh. I was already feeling heightened paranoia from enterovirus 68 and ebola has really pushed me to a level of weird anxiety about illness. In your situation I completely understand feeling worried. Not that you NEED to be but... Yeah. I keep vacillating between swearing off reading the news and then reading 7 articles in a row. I love how CNN had some article about how the messaging in the media is getting out of hand. HA. Dear CNN, you are the problem. (Not Anderson Cooper. He is exempt from all.)

    Anyway! I am also smitten with Jennifer Garner even though my husband haaaaates her and gets mad at how she twists her mouth. He's a fussypants about his lady actresses.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!