Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Holiday Gift Guide for 2-3 Year Olds

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's Gift Guide Time again!  Are y'all thrilled?!

Honestly, I put these together because I personally find them super helpful when researching toys for my tiny meatloaves.  I tend to get a little overwhelmed sifting through Amazon reviews, and it's lovely to be a bit lazy and let someone else do all the heavy-lifting.  So hopefully I'm paying it forward by allowing another friend out there in Interweb Land to get their shopping on, sloth-style!  

I have picks for L going up today and B's rolling in manana... And if you're sitting there muttering to yourself I just feel like I need to read more about Kate's materialism, here are links to previous gift guides for the littles:

- L's First Christmas (10 months)
- L's Second Christmas (Young Toddler)

{I do want to give an extra-special shoutout to the SweetPea3 MP3 Player... I've had some reader questions about it after putting it on L's wish list last year, and let me tell you, this thing is worth it's weight in gold.  It is exactly what I was looking for (super simple interface, no apps or fancy screens, easy parent controls for things like volume and automatic shut-off -- just a straight-up, age-appropriate music player), and L loves it.  She always brings it along if we're going to be in the car for a while, and just being able to listen to her own music keeps her occupied for a really impressive amount of time... and we don't have to listen to the Frozen soundtrack for the zillion and eighty-seventh time.  I cannot endorse this product enough (and, nope, not sponsored) if you're searching for an MP3 player for your kiddo but aren't ready to hand them an iPod or tablet!}

{I also can't gush enough about our play kitchen. It's Chris-Traeger-lit-er-ally- been played with every single day since last Christmas and has held up splendidly.}

Aaaaaaaaaand, moving along...

Holiday Gift Guide for 2-3 Year Olds*

*Most of this stuff is of the traditionally girly-persuasion.  


I was not a Baby Doll Kid.  I can remember owning only one and thinking she was kinda creepy.  L wasn't a big fan either until a few months after B was born, and now she is super duper into diapering and feeding and putting her "babies" {stuffed animals and one tiny, very sad naked mini-doll} to bed.  She pretty much has the Santa Concept down, and her requests are "a baby doll and a little bottle to feed her and a baby doll high chair and a baby doll bed and a baby doll house."  Ooooooo-kay.  We will celebrate Christmas with E's family before the 25th, and there will be an American Girl Bitty Baby and Melissa & Doug Feeding Set under the tree for her then.  {But if this sets us up for 9 more years of American Girl Want-itis, know there will be a blood sacrifice.}  Bitty will be noshing in style, come Christmas morning, in the Land of Nod Doll High Chair if Santa deems her worthy of the Nice List. 


L currently has a major jones for teeny-tiny things, especially if they happen to be of the animal variety, and she will play for an hour or more with the Calico Critters {remember these guys?!} figurines and their various abodes at the toy shop next to our bagel place.  The official Calico Critters houses are all made of plastic and, frankly, kinda look like cheap crap {cheap crap with a biggish price tag}, so I found this adorable KidKraft Chelsea Doll Cottage instead.  It's not too massive, the price is right, it's made of {mostly} wood, and it comes with tons of teensy furniture for the Calico Critters Fisher Cat Family to pee on.  I think last year's "Tigey friends" will be quite comfortable in there, too... as will the Fisher-Price Peppa Pig Family stocking stuffer.  3 Cheers for itty-bitty shit and the fact that I can drink alcohol this year whilst power-drilling this sucker together! 


Did you think we would surface on December 26th unscathed by Frozen merchandise?  Dream on, Blue Moon!  I jest, but I'm actually pretty jazzed about this Queen Elsa Dress-Up Dress -- L doesn't have any dress-up dresses, and this one promises to be soft and washable.  I also like that it's modest and not stamped with licensed princess faces.  The Little Dress Up Shop has tons of costume options, and you can't beat the price with a stick! 

Magformers Rainbow 30 Piece Set - I've seen tons of preschool classes constructing with these, and L was completely engaged with just five or so pieces after a nice lady seated next to us one evening at a restaurant offered them to her for entertainment {the usual stickers and crayons weren't cutting it that night}.  I love that this is a collection we can add to as she grows. 

Hide N Squeak Eggs - Funny Story: I was actually toying {har-har} with the idea of adding these to B's stocking when I got a text from E one day whilst he and L were out and about.  They'd stopped by the previously-mentioned toy store to play, and L decided these were the bee's knees.  Santa might be leaving the adorable egg carton with both kiddos' names affixed... a sort of SHARE THIS WITH YOUR BROTHER AND PLEASE BE NICE TO HIM AND STOP GRAPPING SHIT OUT OF HIS HANDS OMG gifting experiment, if you will. 


Books
Christmas wouldn't be complete without new personal library additions... My No No No Day {thanks to Samma for the rec!}, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, and The Day the Crayons Quit will be joining the ranks on L's bookshelves this year. 

What's on your almost-3-year-old's list this year?

11 comments:

  1. I adore these gift guides! Sarah Sterling has similar taste to L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That No No Day book is the #2 favorite in our house! It was #1 for ages, but then The Book With No Pictures came out and took over. (Highly recommend that one!) And thanks for the dollhouse link, I've been going back and forth on our 'big' gift idea and I think she would love something like that. Great list, thanks for putting it together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read the Amazon reviews for No No No Day? They are unintentionally hysterical... "This book causes my kid to have tantrums!"

      Oh I'm so sure.

      Delete
  3. The books Mix it Up and Press Here are fun and colorful, and even can help reinforce direction following. I second the recommendation for The Book With No Pictures. It's going under the tree for my little guy this year.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw BJ Novak read The Book with No Pictures, and I think that one definitely needs to be added to our list as well! And thank you for the other book recs -- I really can't resist good children's books!

      Delete
  4. Love your ideas and suggestions, but loved the Chris Traeger shout out the most! I have been thinking about doing a doll house for M and all her mini figurine things, and I like the looks of this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parks & Rec is lit-er-ally not the same without him :(

      Delete
  5. What model of the Sweetpea MP3 player do you have? I'm reading Amazon reviews and it appears as though the older model is better than the newer one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the SP3-200. I did have to perform one software update on it this year and it was the EASIEST thing in the world. Apparently there were some bugs before that update. We haven't had any issues with it though!

      Delete
  6. Hi! I was looking at the Sweetpea MP3 player and the reviews are iffy. I am also curious as to how easy it is to put music on it? Do you use itunes? My son has always had a cd he listens to to go to bed but the cd player broke and I am hesitant to buy a new one so I thought I would look at other options. He is 3 1/2. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have ANY complaints in regards to the SweetPea! I know there are a few different models -- we have the SP3-200. At the beginning of the year, apparently there were some complaints about bugs {although we didn't have any bugs on ours}, and the manufacturer provided code to fix the bug that was ridiculously easy to install {and I am a tech idiot}.

      Transferring MP3s to the player is also easy as pie. I use iTunes, and you just plug the player into your computer with the provided USB, open up the player's drive folder, and drag tracks into the folder. It makes it so easy to create playlists... L has a Frozen playlist, a Daniel Tiger playlist, etc.

      Delete

happy little comments!