Thursday, February 26, 2015

Thoughts for Thursday

REAL-TALK TIME.  Between viruses, colds, croup, and "snow" days, I very much want to sell everyone who needs something from me to the circus.  Or perhaps the better solution is for me to hop a circus train for a loop-dee-loop or two. The monkeys likely smell, but I bet the carnies let you eat your yogurt peanut noodles frosting from a can popcorn without clamoring for bites. 


Now before y'all are all BOSTON HAS 100 INCHES OF SNOW AND I CAN STILL SEE YOUR DAMN GRASS, let me say I fully embrace the fact we are big ol' pansies in regards to winter down here. But just remember, we're big ol' pansies without salt trucks or snow sweepers {is that even correct terminology? snow sweepers? plows?} or tire chains or proper outdoor attire or icy driving experience. Forecast calls for early morning precip + temps at or below freezing? Shit be shutting down. All of it.  No school, no story time, no indoor rec center {or, uh, yaknow, airports or city government buildings} {but again: NO REC CENTER} {priorities, people}.  I tried to take the mini meatloaves to Starbucks for sanity caffeine and behavior bribery cakepops on Monday afternoon, but I couldn't even get down our driveway.  B is into everything and screams if I attempt to cordon him off from any calamity. L is an exceptional independent / imaginative player but screams if her brother even looks at whatever elaborate tableau she has going on. No one naps at the same time, if they nap at all.  Thus, for me...no work, no much-put-off and much-needed CLE, no writing, no eating frosting from the can... 



Basically... WOE IS ME; I have the Very First-y-est of the First World Problems.  Check out my poor child who can't even make a snow angel, because: ICE, NOT SNOW.


On another note, if you're a fellow Winter Pansy, might I recommend Old Navy Frost-Free Outerwear? {I would link but apparently it's no longer online so just file this tidbit away for next year, if you're so inclined.} It's toasty-warm and somewhat looks like a $400 knee-length puffer Patagonia but it costs way less than $400 because why the heckarooni do you need a $400 down jacket when you live in Dallas, Crazy Moms at Preschool Dropoff??!!


We did make it to Target on Tuesday for big girl bed "bumper-rails" {pool noodles} and sheets {to coordinate with this quilt, selected by my very particular child after much quibbling and consideration}. With only one brush with humanity in 48 hours, I figured a covert Cadbury Egg was in order. L spied my selection and wanted to {loudly} ensure we were playing fair... "YOU GET THAT FOR POOPING, MOMMY?  YOU NEED TO POOP AT TARGET?"  We really, really need to work on her stage whisper. 


I started letting L sit up on the barstool next to B for meals, and it is the one situation where I can pretty much guarantee she'll actually be super sweet with him. 


This new setup also seems to encourage more toddler veggie eating -- never one to be outdone by a mere baby {nevermind that baby eats like a sumo wrestler}, Sister chows down on previously shunned foods if they also appear on B's tray.  Win-win! 


Midweek shoutout to both quinoa cups and ThinkBaby dinnerware. I hadn't made quinoa cups in forever, and they were a megahit with both rugrats {I did spicy Italian chicken sausage with broccoli and smoked cheddar}.  And we are obsessed with these mugs and food storage containers -- I've slowly done away with all kitchen plastic related to kid food {pour one out for all those cute melamine licensed character plates}, and these sets were the final piece in the overly-anxious-smug-hippie puzzle. 


Ho hum, I think that'll do it for tonight {last night, as you're reading this}. Off to cuddle up with Brain on Fire which is so, so good -- highly recommend.  May your Thursday be cabin-fever-free! 

Thoughts for Thursday

13 comments:

  1. It's all relative -- as a born and bred New England girl, I fully understand that Stir Craziness come from all sources, no matter how much worse someone might actually have it :) NYC doesn't have a shit ton of snow, but we've been facing 4 degree highs with wind. It is.... miserable. And First Wordly. And we'll all be fine and we'll all be a little cranky until sunshine returns. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos of the kids sitting at the bar stools together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure I'm not going to be able to go to Target again without thinking "YOU NEED TO POOP AT TARGET?!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids, man. The Cadbury egg story had me cracking up. And I'm oh so hopeful that Blaire will improve her eating when she sees baby brother eat. I'm so tired of the "just take two bites" battle to get veggies into this kid. I'll give those quinoa cups a try! Really enjoyed Brain on Fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet she will -- previously, anything suspiciously new was deemed "yucky" and now we're all "well, Brady thinks it's yummy"...suddenly someone is all about trying new things / food that isn't almond butter or Mac and cheese or berries or yogurt. Already pitting them against each other for my own person gain: #winning!

      Delete
  5. I am laughing out loud in my office at the Cadbury egg story! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As one who has the joy of dealing with the Boston snow on a daily basis I can tell you it makes NO difference in the amount, if you can't get out it plain sucks. A coating of ice is way worse than inches of snow I think! Hope it warms up for you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snow sweeper, haha, that's my favorite from this blog post! They're plows and they wake me up at 4 am when they scrape down our street. Consider yourself lucky that everything shuts down when you get a bit of ice and snow. I live in Cleveland, Ohio and life just keeps going despite the snow. You commute in the shittiest weather and that's just how it goes. I would love a snow day at home with my husband. We have had negative degree weather a lot this winter and although schools close, our jobs do not! It's currently snowing again and I'm ready for spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a lot of private sector jobs still stay open...or, in regards to law firms specifically, they are "closed" but your ass better be there anyway. So you've basically got a lot of people who shouldn't be driving powering through anyway!

      Delete
    2. Woo, that sounds like an exciting highway experience! haha I understand about private sector not shutting down.

      Delete
  8. Did you skip a traditional high chair for the kiddos and put them right at the counter? I think I can see in the pic that B is eating in a clip-on chair? My son is 3.5 months old and I'm realizing that I should get some sort of high chair sooner rather than later, but I'd *love* to not have a large plastic P.O.S. contraption cluttering my small space if I can get away with a booster/counter clip-on chair. How do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skipped it with B and went straight to the clip on (Phil & Ted Lobster Chair). I LOVE it! We used a traditional chair with L and I much prefer this set up!

      Delete
    2. So awesome to hear-the fact that it's portable for travel in addition to being easy to stow away at home is key. Thanks for your review!

      Delete

happy little comments!