Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thoughts for Thursday


Coming to you live as I slurp the dregs of Day 3's final juice!  Yessiree Bob, I took the plunge and have been riding a tidal wave of cleansing liquid since Monday.  I'll do a separate post on the entire experience {if there's any interest? yes? not so much? super boring? not totally boring?}, but I haven't murdered anyone, and I don't feel like throwing myself off a cliff.  I do, however, feel like throwing this guy off a cliff... Nothing good can come of this many beets. 


Beety-Unfun-Bloody-Marys aside, I'm feeling really great today -- not at all sluggish, perhaps a touch less chubby in the face, definitely not as bloated.  This has been an easy, solid "restart," and I'm jazzed to jump back into cooking {and chewing} with a new frame of mind. 


THIS CHILD!  GAH!  There has never been a jollier soul {or belly -- sorry, Santa}.  His new favorite thing {okay, fine, my favorite thing} is tottering at top speed towards your face and throwing his arms around your neck and giggle-slobbering all over your clean blouse.  Ugggg, heaven.  He also has new blue jeans and loves to show you where his noggin is and will somersault over a pillow or conveniently draped pair of knees all morning.  


He is a tinkerer.  And a figure-er-outter.  And no one is a better big-sister-pester-er-er. 


Tiny Person Soccer Practice continues to provide ample opportunity for picnics and it's-nearly-bedtime-but-whats-one-more-trip-down-the-twisty-slide al fresco.  I keep thinking about splash pads and giving the ol' water table a good bleaching, but these coolish Spring days can stick around as long as they please!  Knock-on-wood, we've even managed to log several much-needed soakings with 'nary a trip to the tornado closet.  There's still plenty of time left in the season for severe weather, but this April definitely seems less extreme than years past. 


If you follow me on IG, you may have seen a certain planning foible highlighted on my feed last Friday...


A friend invited us to A Day Out With Thomas in Grapevine, and, being the fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants "cool moms" we are, we figured we'd just buy our tickets for the main event {a legit train ride on the "real" Thomas} upon arrival as to allow for maximum flexibility.  Yes, well, WELCOME TO AMATEUR HOUR, FOLKS, those tickets were very much sold out.  So glad I talked up that damn tank engine on our forty-five minute sojourn across the metroplex. 


L's face says it all: "All that hype and what do I get? A Thomas tattoo, port-a-potty lines, and a ride on the slowest baby train ever mass-produced in China. Way to go, Mother."  I did partially redeem myself by discovering we could take photos with the main man {machine?} himself... Even Thomas is giving me the side-eye.  Creepy fucking choo-choo, I don't need your judgment. 


There was also Chick-fil-a for lunch, so that really rounded out our #BasicMommyBlogging day.  


Cannot put down Ready Player One -- the plot is so dazzlingly different, and the 80s pop culture references make me giddy.  Pretty jazzed Steven Spielberg is set to direct a film adaptation as well.  

Thoughts for Thursday
Thanks as always to the link-up gals! 

18 comments:

  1. I hope you at least got to hit up some wineries or Hip Pop while you were in Grapevine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, no. It was a booze free endeavor. Although I truly believe Day Out with Thomas could benefit from a margarita machine boothe!

      Delete
  2. Yes, please, on the juice cleanse recap. I'm getting married in a few weeks(!) and am thinking about a cleanse to drop a few pounds before the big day. Also, love your book recs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not done a cleanse in ages! I am worried that I would not have the energy needed to keep up with my kiddos, but it sounds like you did just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full Disclosure: I have a stack of thank you notes and piles of laundry that remain unwritten / unfolded as I did partake in a daily power nap each day of the cleanse. But I did find this particular group of juices did a great job of providing enough calories to ensure I never entered Zombie Zone!

      Delete
  4. I'd be interested to hear details on the juice cleanse. I've never attempted such a feat - kudos to you for taking it on! And thanks for the book rec. I've had to shelve reading for pleasure for the past few weeks as I've lacked sufficient sleep or brain power to attempt it at my usual reading times (you know - 4am nursing sessions). Surely life and my child's sleep patterns will return to normal soon. I hope. Please. Oh please. Sleeeeppppppp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! Come on Nash! Get it together!

      Delete
  5. Oh, and soccer practice - that's legit. We have "practice" for 20 minutes before our Saturday games. Oh how I love three year old soccer. Comedy GOLD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it so much. I never want them to actually acquire skills or any knowledge of the rules.

      Delete
  6. I would love to hear about your experience with the cleanse. I've been thinking of trying one, but as someone who doesn't do well with abstaining from wine and cheese, and who turns into a monster once I experience anything beyond mild hunger, I'm a little nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVED Ready Player One - and I am not nor ever have been, a gamer. But I read that sucker in 3 days. Wish I could find something just as interesting right now.......been nothing but duds on my kindle for a loooong while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read The Descent? It's my other stand-out so far this year!

      Delete
    2. The Descent (Jeff Long) or Descent (Tim Johnston) ? Although both look good - might just dip into each!!!

      Delete
  8. i'm so excited for a new book to read next. love your suggestions. right now i'm trying to get through The Passage, which i really like but jeeeez is it long. with 2 littles running around it's turning into an epically long read. however. finally closing in on it so i'll check that out next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooo The Passage!! I liked the second book even better (and can't wait for the third which I think comes out this year)...but, yes, they are sooooo thick!

      Delete
  9. I would love to hear your thoughts on the cleanse! And the days following - did it really give you that "jump start" once you went back to regular food?

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!