Thursday, May 21, 2015

headed home

I was going to write an eloquently emo post on homecomings, but I caught an adenovirus from the kidlets which apparently can be like the flu with some pink eye thrown in for extra fun. I'm 9 days in and just now feeling functionalish {ironically, the meatloaves were barely ill}, although the lingering conjunctivitis is still giving me that "about to turn" look, plus I spend at least an hour every night around 2:30 am hacking like a three-pack-a-day-er.

ANYHOODLE, POINT BEING, we're moving to Austin, and I really do have many words about that fact, but the cough syrup is making me stupid.


Medicated or not, we're thrilled.  Austin was always a hopeful part of our long-term plan, but this fast-forward was a very happy surprise.  Without getting bogged down in details {NYQUIL}, the perfect house presented itself alongside the go-ahead from E's firm to make the office switch.  It all happened rather fast -- definitely serendipitous.   

I'm sadder than I thought I'd be... I've spent a decent chunk of my 7 years in Dallas feeling as if I'm treading water... I've had the wrong job and then switched to the right one, only to leave it when L was born.  I've made great friends and then had the majority move away, only to make new ones and have the majority of them move away. I've lived in the right house in the wrong neighborhood and then in the wrong house in the right neighborhood. I've had many low moments where I've put a lot of stock into "someday...when we live in Austin..."

And now it is "someday," and Dallas and I are actually cool.  If we needed to stay here longer {or permanently}, I know we'd be fine.   More than fine... we'd be fabulous.  So I'm sad about our friends and our favorite places and all the fun things that will happen without us. 

But hooooo-boy.  I'm excited, too.  

There's just no beatin' a homecoming. 

17 comments:

  1. Wow, what a big change! I woke up this morning officially a Connecticut resident...no longer an Upper East Side NYC girl. It's hugely emotional. So excited to be a homeowner and whatnot, and yes I'll still be working in NYC, but it's one of those Huge Life Things that is so bittersweet.

    Oh and also - hope you are FEELING better! What a lousy sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Congrats! We moved back to Austin six months ago (after only being in north Texas 18 months, and not having grown up in Austin like you did) and it has been such a relief. Welcome home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also: When we moved back to ATX it was Christmastime and I was just SO grateful to be back home in Austin and this song was playing on the radio all the time. I still find myself humming it when I'm giddy about being here (or when I'm stuck in traffic on Mopac and need to check myself!). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxyiC2Lungo

      Delete
  3. When you posted that you were moving I wondered if you were going back to Austin. Congratulations on your homecoming from a longtime reader!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I was so hoping that your news was that you were moving back to Austin! Your mom and dad must be SO excited to have y'all back home! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh!!! I am so thrilled for y'all!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huge news! Congratulations on the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excited for you guys! Hopefully we can get the Hyline group together for happy hour some time when I come into town and you'll be able to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So exciting! Oh so happy for you. Being close to your family will so great. Enjoy this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I've been a long time reader (although infrequent commenter) and have been living in Austin for the past 6 years. I've always enjoyed when you've shared memories about growing up here. Now, we are actually headed back to the NW and my hometown of Portland, OR. Austin is such a great city and it will be tough for us to say goodbye, but there's nothing like coming home. Best of luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy for ya'll...and so jealous! It is one of our long-term goals as well, but I'm worried it won't happen until we retire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Longtime reader, first time commenting. Congrats! I moved to Austin almost a year ago, and while it was sad to leave friends behind, it has been great to take on new challenges and meet new people. best of luck on new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited for y'all! This is great news.

    Also...I owe you an email about garage building. Haven't forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky, lucky, lucky!
    You've always seemed much more of an Austin personality to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!